Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 9 Post Op Diet... Did I Do Any Damage?? Comments Please.

Are you supposed to be on solids? I was not allowed solids until week 5.

No as I only ate two pieces. That we're cut. My doctor did approve chicken salad. So I figured that wouldn't do much harm. Obviously that wasn't the best choice.

Hey guys glad to know I am not alone on this hunger journey. Today I had some poached eggs and they kept me full till now. Not hungry a bit. I have lost 12 pounds since June 4 th when I was banded. But I have not lost any since the first week. A little frustrating. Is anyone else on a standstill with weight loss? The first 12 pounds I lost within the first 5 days. I also started eating mushed foods earlier this week. I did try a piece of grilled chicken but only managed to eat two pieces before I was in pain. Took a couple of hours for the pain to go away. But it eventually did.

Don't be concerned with weight loss just yet. The first 30 days is a time for healing. Most of the weight you lose the first 30 days is Water, but it's still weight so it's a good thing. You won't see much loss of fat until you find restriction or if you diet heavily before you get that one fill that gives you the restriction you need to enter the green zone.

BTW-Many bandsters stall around week 2 so just be aware it's a normal thing. Cross your fingers you are one of the lucky ones who find restriction from just the band.

tmf

hi didi. what are you eating?

your dr didnt have you on clear then full then mushy and then solids?

i had surgery on the 6th and am only on full liquids........i was happy to eat applesauce and tomaot Soup. i can only dream :)

Im eating some solids but in small quantities, like chicken breast a little Pasta and things like that. Yes I was on the liquid diet for 5 days after that i pretty much did mooshys for like 2 days and yes my doctor did tell me to do it longer but I just couldnt take it anymore. Im not saying Im proud of what Im doing I know Im not supposed to and also do realize I need to change my mentality. Someone told me to be kinder to my body and to remember why I did all of this. The truth is I do feel sick if I eat too much, its just my mindset its killing me but I do pay consequences. I really have to start committing.

I am so glad that I saw this thread! I am into week 3 of the post-op diet. I could not take the liquid diet for one second longer and pretty much started on the thicker liquids (pudding, Soups, etc) around day 4 post-op. I ate the pureed foods for most of the 2nd week. I have tried to eat some solid foods over the past 4 or 5 days. In short, I skipped I step in the post-op diet. That made me wonder if I was hurting myself just like the rest of you all. I have noticed one thing, however. I think that I chew my food way better than the average person or something. I have always had a fear of chocking on a piece of food, so the chewing thing comes natural for me. This is what caused me to start in on some "tame" solid foods like bits of chicken, soft cooked veggies, soft noodles, soft cheese, toast, crackers, eggs. I have been able to chew all of these things up into a mush and have had no issues swallowing the stuff. The one thing that I have noticed is that I do seem to get full much fast on the more solid foods. The other stuff just went right on through and I was left starving!! That is probably another reason why I moved on faster than I was supposed to. I needed find something that was going to stick to me a little longer. I have had a couple of occasions where I felt really full to the point of discomfort. I think that I too fast. I can chew food down to paste really fast because I have done it all my life. The ironic part of that "good habit" is that I think I can still eat too fast as a result. I am going to have to keep an eye on that. Also, I have noticed that when I am eating something that does not fit into the tiny 1 cup bowl that I purchased for myself that it is harder to visualize the 1 cup serving. My doctor told me to visualize what the food would look like mashed up in a 1 cup container. I guess I will get better at that with time.

Anyone else feel like they have not really lost anything since the first week post-op?? I lost 4 pounds the first week post-op and have not lost a single pound since that time. I have also started walking regularly, so I know that I am "trying". I wonder if my body is just protesting or if I am eating way too much. I use My Fitness Pal and have noticed that I tend to eat between 1200 and 1500 calories each day. The program estimates that I am burning about 400 calories walking to an from work each day, so that is good to know! I just wish the scales would move a bit. Even one pound a week would be great!!!

hey didi

not holding judgement. i support you no matter what. just be careful.

when were you banded?

I AM POST OP DAY 9 TODAY AND FIND THAT BY SUPPER TIME MY STOMACH ACHES OF EMPTYNESS... IM ON FULL liquids NOW BUT HAVE CHEATED A LITTLE... LAST NIGHT I HAD MAYB 2 OZ OF TURKEY AND cheese WITH ALVACADO AND TONIGHT I HAD TWO MASHED UP meat BALLS FROM SUBWAY... I FEEL GUILTY BUT AT THE SAME TIME IM STILL CONFIDENT BECAUSE IM NOT JUST EATING EVERYTHING I USED TO I MEAN IM PUSHING MY LIMITS NOW BUT IM BEING VERY CAREFULL WITH WHAT IM EVEN THINKING OF EATING ALL THESE food ARE APART OF MY 2ND PHASE OF MY POST DIET AND I START SOFT FOOD IN 4 DAYS.. IM TRYING I AM BUT IT JUST SEEMS TO NOT BE ENOUGH FOR SOME PEOPLE AND THAT HURTS... WHEN IM HUNGRY AND NOT MIND HUNGER ACTUALLY HUNGRY I GET GRUMPY AND SLEEPY I DONT WANT TO B THIS WAY FOR ANOTHER 4 DAY TO MY KIDS... UGH... THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS TREAD I WAS SO WORRIED I WAS FAILING ALREADY!

cf i am so right there with you. head/mind hunger is a horrible thing. i just want you to be careful with the foods you eat. i think i havent gave in to eating (something besides my liquids) is because i am scared.

your not failing. none of us are.........we are stepping on the sidewalk..

I WAS SCARED LAST NIGHT AND IM NOT EATING MUCH CUZ IM AFRAID OF GETTING SICK WHICH I HAVENT AT ALL YET!!! I FIGURE AS LONG AS I TRY MY HARDEST SOME SLIPPS ARE FORGIVABLE!!!! IV DEF CHANGED MY WAY OF THINKING IN THE WHOLE PROSSES SINCE SURGERY!!!

on wed, i am on mushies for a week and then soft and then REAL food.< /p>

i am so excited that wed i can have oatmeal or a scrambled egg. almost there.

its hard. today was hard on me, cried and had pity party but hanging in there. you can too. you are doing so well.

TY

cfurrey, why do you have 4 tickers?

tmf

I dont know they wont go away? Iv been trying to figure it out but cant!

Carolinagirl2012, i know ur not judging, I was just trying to clarify that im not proud of cheating but the truth is that old habits die hard. Im just always trying to keep it real so other people who turn to these blogs for support or research have an idea of what it is and how some of us really feel. I was banded june 5th and thankfully im doing fine. Im restarting the gym on monday and the bruises are mostly gone. My shoulder pain has gone away, which was the worst for me.

Lola, i dont feel ive lost much either but in a way I think its a positive thing. If we lose weight too fast then chances are our skin wont respond positively, which brings me to a question to everybody... Is anybody using those post op elastic body suits? I know for other kinds of surgeries like Lipo they make you wear those for weeks but i dont know if with the band is reccomended, what do you guys think?

I am so glad that I saw this thread! I am into week 3 of the post-op diet. I could not take the liquid diet for one second longer and pretty much started on the thicker liquids (pudding, Soups, etc) around day 4 post-op. I ate the pureed foods for most of the 2nd week. I have tried to eat some solid foods over the past 4 or 5 days. In short, I skipped I step in the post-op diet. That made me wonder if I was hurting myself just like the rest of you all. I have noticed one thing, however. I think that I chew my food way better than the average person or something. I have always had a fear of chocking on a piece of food, so the chewing thing comes natural for me. This is what caused me to start in on some "tame" solid foods like bits of chicken, soft cooked veggies, soft noodles, soft cheese, toast, crackers, eggs. I have been able to chew all of these things up into a mush and have had no issues swallowing the stuff. The one thing that I have noticed is that I do seem to get full much fast on the more solid foods. The other stuff just went right on through and I was left starving!! That is probably another reason why I moved on faster than I was supposed to. I needed find something that was going to stick to me a little longer. I have had a couple of occasions where I felt really full to the point of discomfort. I think that I too fast. I can chew food down to paste really fast because I have done it all my life. The ironic part of that "good habit" is that I think I can still eat too fast as a result. I am going to have to keep an eye on that. Also, I have noticed that when I am eating something that does not fit into the tiny 1 cup bowl that I purchased for myself that it is harder to visualize the 1 cup serving. My doctor told me to visualize what the food would look like mashed up in a 1 cup container. I guess I will get better at that with time.

Anyone else feel like they have not really lost anything since the first week post-op?? I lost 4 pounds the first week post-op and have not lost a single pound since that time. I have also started walking regularly, so I know that I am "trying". I wonder if my body is just protesting or if I am eating way too much. I use My Fitness Pal and have noticed that I tend to eat between 1200 and 1500 calories each day. The program estimates that I am burning about 400 calories walking to an from work each day, so that is good to know! I just wish the scales would move a bit. Even one pound a week would be great!!!

Lola,

I'm older than you but we're the same height and weight pre surgery. I lost 12 lbs the first 2 weeks and no loss the following 3 months. Not till my 3rd fill did I start to feel restriction and not till fill 6 did I find the green zone. I've lost 37 lbs now. You're still in the healing phase and shouldn't be concerned with weight loss right now. It's quite common to lose weight right after surgery and then plateau for a while shortly after. You should be due for a fill in the next 3 weeks? You have much to learn about how your band works with your body and your food choices.

It's not as black and white as we were told in seminars. Stay tuned and keep reading as much as you can. This is the best place to learn.

tmf