Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am being banded on the 29th. I picked that date so I'd have the following week off but now we're having a family reunion on the 8th that will last for 10 days. I don't know what to do - I haven't told family yet and I have no idea what to expect but don't want to be puking in front of everyone. I realize I won't be able to go out on the boat, etc. but will I still be in a lot of pain and just need to hang in my room all day? What should I expect for about one week out? If I could get out of the reunion I would but I just can't...

I'm so nervous about the surgery, the after, and especially how to act, what to eat, etc. with my whole extended family around and wanting to do things like hiking, exploring the caves, etc.

And I'm assuming I'll still be on liquids but what exactly does that mean? I haven't started my liquid diet and my meeting with dr. about it isn't for two more weeks...

Does anyone (PRETTY PLEASE) have suggestions, advice or tips?

I don't know your pain tolerance level, but I has a dose post op and that was it. Just get moving post op! My surgeon didn't require liquids past 3 days. Day 4 was mushy then I was back to solids on day 5 (just chew chew chew)... You'll know if it wasnt enough.

Although you must follow your teams guidance and orders to the letter! Have a good time and relax.

I was on liquids for the first 2 weeks post-op. You shouldn't have to worry about being sick (as long as you follow YOUR doctors rules). If you are talking about a reunion where everyone is sitting around talking and relaxing, then I think 9 or 10 days out you will be fine for that...if you are talking about a reunion where you are constantly on the go and swimming and hiking.......then I would not have been up to that. I felt very weak the first 3 weeks after surgery. I guess a month of liquids will do that. I would not have had the energy to be very active. I was still sore and would take a short nap during the day. However, I did have a couple of hernias repaired and some adhesions removed at the same time, so I might have been a little more tired and sore than the average bandster.

If you will constantly be around other people, you may want to decide if you are going to tell people....if not they may ask what is with the liquid or mushie diet....So you may want to be ready for their questions

I had surgery at 40. I was on Clear Liquids for 7 days and full liquids (tomato Soup and Protein shakes) for another 7 days. I had no gas pain. I was back at the gym doing 45 min. + on the treadmill on day 5. If you can do some short casual walks that would be fine but not intense adventurous outings. I was also not allowed to go swimming for two weeks. I also took short naps after going to the gym.

I would say you definately need to be able to supply your own meals. You can not expect to find appropriate foods at a family gathering. It will NOT be okay to just "have a little, it won't hurt you" because eating solids too early WILL hurt you.

They wanted to schedule my surgery one week before we had a cruise booked.

I told them it would have to be after the cruise. Glad I did.

I was not in pain a week after surgery but would not want to be on liquids on a vacation.

My doctor had us on two weeks liquids and two weeks mushies.

It might be hard if you have not told your family, they will question what you eat.

I have only told 4-5 people that are close to me, I get the not sharing thing.

Good luck on your decision.

You know this is surgery, it is a life style change ........... Why don't you just start the change by being really nice to yourself and STAY HOME and take care of your needs. No one can say how you will feel ,physically and mentally. 10 days wow that is just a long time to have to resist food temptations and not overdue exertion. How long did you wait to have the surgery?? if you have to go then postpone surgery it's your call. But I personally think you are opening a can of worms that I would never want to deal with Good Luck to you and Please Take of yourself first....

First let me say in advance CONGRATULATIONS!! I have been banded for two and a half years and never regretted a day! RELAX AND NO WORRIES! now about the reunion... you should be feeling good by the time you go a little sore still but overall very good. I went back to a very physical job( on my feet for 12 hr shifts) at two weeks without any problems. I am not sure how far you are traveling or by what means but if you are traveling by car just take stops to get out and walk, move so you don't get sore.

if you have problems right after surgery with lots of air, bloating, burping etc... walk ,walk, walk... it really does help move the air through and you will bounce back quicker. I have 3 children so I had no choice but to get moving!

you should not be puking at all... none! just really plan your meals while you are there. you will be on full liquids and your nutrionist at your bariatric center will give you a whole list of choices. Explain to them about your trip and I'm sure they will help you work out the best things to pack. lots of Soup and Protein, Protein, protein!

I predict you will have a great time just be cautious!

I felt pretty good ten days out. The hardest problem will be what you can eat. Follow doctors orders and eat soft tolerable foods. Soups and salads seem to work for me. If anyone asks just tell them you are trying a new low carb diet. Its basically true....eat Protein Shakes, soups and mushies. If you are traveling far by car....get out and walk to prevent blood clots. I did have a scare one month out.....took some blood thinners and all went well. Remember it is surgery and you must take care of yourself. If you think it will be too much can you consider going for part of the ten days.....and come home and rest. Just a suggestion.

Thank you everyone for the answers. You're giving me a lot of food for thought (pun intended). I don't get a lot of vacation time so I'd saved up for the surgery and already have it scheduled and now my family is doing it's first ever reunion so that's why I feel like I can't skip out on it. If I don't do the surgery as planned it'll be another year before I have any vacation saved again and my dr. says I need at least 7 days away from work. (That'll be the week before we leave) We're heading to a lake that's about 4 hours from home so I think I can get out of the swimming, boating etc. but also didn't know if I'd be stuck lying in bed. We're each in our own cabin and only sharing one meal a day with the family so as long as I know what I can take or what to expect I guess I'll be ok.

I had these images of throwing up everything I tried and never being able to get out of bed so you are helping me feel a bit better about that. I am sure I'll tell be telling some people like sibs eventually but didn't need to spread the whole thing to my whole gossipy family.

Thanks again.

I just want to add that you need to be careful who you tell, once it is out there you can not take it back.

I made sure the people I told knew this was not to be repeated, this is my story to tell to those I choose.

I was very lucky that I did not get any bad feed back only support.

If you are staying in your own cabin and only sharing one meal a day you should be fine.

Something you could do since you are only doing one meal together is prepare what you are taking for the rest of your family but then take an Atkins Protein Shake and drink that slowly if they ask questions just brush it off as a regular diet thing and you won't have to tell about the band just that you replace one meal a day with the shake.< /p>

I had my surgery 10 days ago. I think being with family for 10 days might be more painful than the surgery . :lol: Plus, surely most family members can't take the whole 10 days off either.

Just tell everyone you are doing Atkins and drink their Protein shakes. That should explain why you don't have any carbs.

I had to go back to work 3 days after my surgery. I teach second grade with 24 seven and eight year olds. We had field day the day that I went back. The only thing I think you should have problems with is not swimming, but I haven't been in a bathing suit for years, so no one would question that. Walking, boating, etc. shouldn't give you any problems.

I bet your doctor team can help with food ideas, etc.

Good luck and have fun!