Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*SCREAM* 5wks post-op & eating 2 much

Hi Eficka,

I have been banded 2 years and 8 months and only can remember one time where I was eating 1/2 cup and getting full. Even now, I eat about 6-8 oz at a sitting 4-5 oz of meat and a couple oz of veggies. Everyone is different. As long as you are losing weight and making smarter choices and eating less than you did before (less than 1/2) usually you will lose at a nice steady pace of 1-2 pounds a week if you are making Protein choices which fill you up when you have a band. Dont stress. I still love and enjoy food and get much fuller with a smaller quantity.

Babs in TX

334/180ish

BeachBander, I experienced the same thing and the same worries. It is all OK. It takes time. Just had my second fill yesterday and my concerns are over. I am restricted and it is working. Relax and enjoy the journey.

OK, went to the doc yesterday...still said to only eat 1/2 cup, but if I was going over, don't go over much. They're trying to schedule my fill for either next week or the end-of-month (doc's on vac the week in between). SOoooo....my next question...I am irrationally terrified of needles (my Doc keeps saying he's going to hide behind a bush and shoot me with a trigger gun as I get out of my car, LOL, so I won't have time to think about the needle). How does it go? A numbing shot (s)? Then...? I know I have to do it, and that's the only way I'll be aboe to get through it...keep saying I have to do it, I have to do it....LOL. I'm such a scaredy-cat! Been through two c-sections, you'd think I'd be used to needles! So tell me about the fill, anything you can think of. How long does it take?

Have a good day everyone!

aww, dont worry, everyone is right, you just need a fill, once you have that you will realise the difference. your tum is made of elastic ! it will stretch to accomodate a lot of food (ie, chistmas dinner) then it simply goes back to its proper size thank heavens or mine would be the size of a bouncy castle by now, so dont panic about stretching your top tum.

once you have the fill the band will tighten and leave a much smaller hole for the food to drop through into your big tum and you will be full much faster and providing you dont drink whilst eating (this will wash it through faster) it will stay in the top bit longer thus satisfying you for a lot longer than now.

good luck and dont be fretting over something you cant help, by the way that weight loss is fantastic well done

Ive had 5 fills so far and not one of them was even slightly painful. not even when he puts the needle into your skin ! I am also a coward so I was worried when I went to the first fill but honestly it will be fine

I have several friends who have had the band and they all agree that the pain ranges from nil, to slight

:)

ok this is my experience of the fill,

you go in get weighed and then lie down he cleans the port site with a medi swab wipe and then takes a few ccs of saline in the syringe

prods about a bit till he finds your port and puts the needle in as Ive said Ive never experienced any pain with this, two of my fills I got a slight "sucking" sensation then thats it, he sticks a little band aid on the site and off you go.

My surgeon gives you a glass of Water to drink. sip it slowly and feel it going down, you should feel it sitting there slowly going into your tum, try drinking a couple of glasses at least before you leave. if the Water just goes straight down with no problem, its worth asking him if you could possibly have some more in your fill. the best fill I had was when the water was sitting there for about 10 mins before it went down properly,and I kept burping :) the worst fill Ive ever seen was my friend whom I went with (300 miles) for her fill and it seemed fine. then, on the way home,she realised she was sealed shut !! so we had to turn around and go back another 150 miles, just caught her surgeon leaving,but he took one cc back out and she was fine then --- went on to lose 50lbs before she needed her next fill.

the fills are very much a hit and miss thing in my experience, my first one I got 5 cc from a surgeon other than my own, and couldnt understand why it wasnt working, when i went to my own guy, my band was completely empty !! obviously the first guy had missed the port opening. I think I have reached what they call the "sweet spot" which is just right for me. I might not need another fill now ever !! so fingers crossed

sometimes you think that you have a wonderful restriction, then next day, its gone and you panic, next day its back with a vengeance, mine is looser at night than early daytime. with two of my fills I thought they hadnt worked much until about 3 days later when the restriction got a lot better.

good luck and lets know how it all goes

You have got some great replys here. All is fine. If you are still uneasy call the Doc!

You're right, Buick, some awesome supportive replies! I thank everyone for their comments! It is so nice to be able to come here and get support!

My doc asked me at my first fill appt. this week to compare my volume of food now with before banding. I am eating about a cup total at each meal, which is about 1/3 of what I used to eat. He was very pleased with the 1 cup amount. To me that's realistic and I am satisfied when I finish eating. Maybe as time goes on I will eat less, but for now, we're both happy~

Emily