Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My F'n Band Slipped.

Ugh! Went to see my doctor this morning and had an upper GI done. Found out my band has slipped. She was going to write my insurance to see if they would cover a revision althought I don't know that is what I want. Why would I want it fixed just to risk this all over again?? To be honest, I don't, I think I want it out of me. It has been nothing but a pain in the @ss to me with constant vomitting, heartburn and inconvenience of constant maintainence.

I am waiting to find out what my insurance says although I dont believe it will be in my favor. She said I could consider a different type of procedure but I can't afford that and with the new insurance laws these days, bariatric procedures are no longer covered. Not only that, I don't know that I would qualify for a different procedure now that I have lost what I have. FML.

Oh no!! That's my worst nightmare. What a drag. Your experience, quite frankly, is why I wanted to get the sleeve in the first place—so you get your one surgery and then you're over and done with and you don't have to deal with some stupid foreign body in your local body... But, here I am on this road.

Anyway, post back when you find out what's next. And when you decide what you want to do. I'm curious what your choices are, and what your decisions will be!

Good luck to you!!!

I'm so sorry to hear that. Did you have any symptoms?

And what do you mean new insurance laws not covering barriatric?

If your stomach is in good enough shape at the time of removal (if your insurance will pay for removal and your surgeon is willing), you might be able to do it all in one surgery and have the band removed and change to another procedure with only paying your surgeon for the revision to the other procedure. The insurance company pays for the OR and band removal part, you pay for the sleeve or RNY.

I've heard of it being done in the past. Might be worth asking the question, if you are interested in another procedure. My PCP also told me that depending on the way they write it up you can sometimes get switched to a new procedure even if the insurance company says one per customer. They are taking the band out due to complications, not due to you not following the rules. There is a difference. Medical need, all that. But we know how much insurance companies love to say no.

Yes, I have had symptoms. I got a fill about two months ago and thought I was in my green zone as I was losing steadily. I've had good and bad days but lately it has been more bad than good. I've been having to throw up every single day and all day long. My heartburn and acid reflux has been so bad that I would find myself vomitting in my sleep. Or I've needed to sleep sitting up to avoid feeling it in the back of my throat. My teeth and body just aches from what I believe is malnutrition. My hair has been brittle. Ugh.

My father was recently diagnosed with Stage 3A Lung Cancer and has been so sick from chemo and battling pneumonia, emphysema and COPD so I've been stressed and worried sick about him that Ive put off seeing my doctor so I could support him.

I don't know when my surgery will be. I PRAY that somehow my insurance will cover a different procedure after the complications of this. Time will tell but I am fearful of gaining the weight back. I feel awful that I've failed the band. But I cant change it now I guess.

As far as insurance laws, I am not sure if this is true for all carriers but I do know that Medica and BCBS Minnesota no longer cover bariatric surgery.

Thanks for your input cocoabean - I hope I will be one of those people that it will work out for. I did not come all this way just to lose the fight.

I hope that everythings works out ok. I have BCBL of ILLinois...I have the luck of the Irish..Got approve in 5 days.....After evryone say that it take for ever to get approve or decline So don't loose hope and don't give up !

I had reflux and could eat more. Went in to see my doc and my band had slipped. They took all the Fluid out and out me on steriods and prilosec. The pain and discomfort I have gone through have been horrible. This past Weds July 11th I went in for a lap band revisios. What was supposed to take 1 1/2 hours took 4 hrs and a 2 day stay in the hospital. I had to have a nissen done to repair the hiatal hernia the slipped band had caused, my band had to be taken out and replaced , tons of scar tissue had to be removed from my stomach. All this caused by a slipped band. They did an embrication of the stomach to prevent slippage. You can't leave it in the way it is. It either has to come out or be repaired. My doctor discussed my options prior. I have had my band 2 1/2 years and lost 90lbs so it worked for me. We had no idea the mess that was inside me until surgery. I am miserable and definately could not go through this again. I will be on liquids for at least 4 weeks then we go from there.

BTW I have BCBS of NC and they approved my surgery in 2 days.