Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

61 And Just Beginning

Hello Folks' date=' today is my 64th birthday! I can't say that I am the happiest I have eve been, but I am content. I am not the smallest I have ever been as an adult, but I am good with my size and weight. I can wear minis if I so choose, mostly my skorts and culottes are above my knees, but my dresses are at knee length. If I wear longer dresses, I feel "frumpy". I have lost 100 lbs and have maintained for about 1 year. I had surgery on Oct 30, 2009. I chose lapband because I was the fattest lady I knew! I have since referred 3 others to my lapband surgeon! Good luck to all and best wishes for our futures! Karen[/quote']

Sorry I'm late but Happy Birthday. I also want to congratulate you on your lose of 100 lbs. I hope to get there one day. I've just past my 6 month wait for surgery. I thought those first months would drag but now they are gone it didn't seem long at all.

I knew I weighed too much for my height, but I never thought I looked bad until we got the pictures back from my daughter's wedding last August. I was horrified when I saw the pictures with me. I had definitly been in denial for a long time. No more.

Thanks Everyone for the birthday wishes. BJC1227, I know about those wedding pictures. I have been in 2 sets, even that didn't make me lose the weight. Wow! I look back at them and wish there could be a do over. I have so many pictures that need do overs! But, if that can be momentum to keep the weight loss going, great for you. I wish everyone great success. Karen

I wish I could have a do over also but the ex would object to footing the bill a second time around just so I can have good pictures. Maybe my daughter would consider Photoshopping me in at a later date. Oh well, it was a beautiful day and the weight is what it is. I can't change what's past but I can change me.

Yeah Karen,

You are doing awesome and your story is an inspiration to use older banders.

I think maintaining is a big part of the success, hope I do as well as you!

I missed this yesterday. Your 50 lbs. loss is fantastic. You are probably feeling like a new woman. :)

Bonnie - you crack me up - glad you weren't expecting a hot chick to pop out of this band thing. I will share this. I work at a large State University and today, I am wearing a skort (size 12 proudly said) and it is kind of short. Well, I have received compliments all days about my legs and how skinny I am getting. WOO HOO..skinny and my name in the same sentence - wow, I thought that ship had sailed but I guess not. So I may be too old to hot in in swim suit, but apparently I can still wear a short skirt ! I loved the 60's and min skirts ! hehehehe

Have a great weekend.

Melinda in Florida :D

Thank you Melinda. I love that you are able to wear short skirts now. Woohoo is right.

In the 8 years I've been divorced I've dated a few guys here and there and finally decided to take a break. Men in general don't care for overweight women, plus I was always self-concious about my weight. I don't think losing weight is any guarantee of finding the right man for me but it might at least help.

Maybe I will some day raise my hems above my calfs.

I just posted on the intro forum but now found this one. I am 61 years old and just beginning research on getting banded. I feared I was too old. My mind is very young but my body feels old and hurting. I am a Type 2 diabetic - well controlled with pills, , take high blood pressure meds, and both knees hurt badly. I want to play with my grandchildren. Right now my insurance company is saying they won't pay for the procedure....but I am going to keep at them and have my docs contact them . Hope it works. Any advice with insurance companies would be appreciated. So glad I dound this group!

I just posted on the intro forum but now found this one. I am 61 years old and just beginning research on getting banded. I feared I was too old. My mind is very young but my body feels old and hurting. I am a Type 2 diabetic - well controlled with pills' date=', take high blood pressure meds, and both knees hurt badly. I want to play with my grandchildren. Right now my insurance company is saying they won't pay for the procedure....but I am going to keep at them and have my docs contact them . Hope it works. Any advice with insurance companies would be appreciated. So glad I dound this group![/quote']

Diane, I have Anthem through work, and though they are making me wait a year, they are covering the surgery. I am past the half-way point and I will be 62 by the time I have the operation. My blood pressure had been right on the edge and finally went over, so I'm not on meds for it. Fortunately, my knees are good but they won't last if I put on anymore weight.

I work with a woman who had her surgery just under a year ago and she has done beautifully. She's also in her early 60s. After seeing how well she did, I started investigating my options.

Good luck and let me know how you're doing.

Bonnie

I just posted on the intro forum but now found this one. I am 61 years old and just beginning research on getting banded. I feared I was too old. My mind is very young but my body feels old and hurting. I am a Type 2 diabetic - well controlled with pills' date=', take high blood pressure meds, and both knees hurt badly. I want to play with my grandchildren. Right now my insurance company is saying they won't pay for the procedure....but I am going to keep at them and have my docs contact them . Hope it works. Any advice with insurance companies would be appreciated. So glad I dound this group![/quote']

Diane, my insurance company is Anthem of Virginia. I have to wait a year but they are paying all of the surgery except $125 copay. I'll be 62 by the time I have the operation but I'm half way there. I thought about it for a long time and finally decided to get off my duff and do something. A woman I work with has been inspirational. She had surgery last October and has lost around 60 lbs, and looks fantastic. So far my knees are still good but I know if I gained anymore weight they would start giving out. Right now I'm on blood pressure meds and Fluid pills. I'm told that loosing weight will improve both situations. I hope so.

Good luck. I hope you find a good insurance company that will cover the Lap Band. Let me know how things go.

Bonnie

Right now it seems like I have a long way to go till my surgery' date=' but life has taught me, time goes by before you know it. My year of working with the insurance company began on February 1st this year. I wish I hadn't waited so long to come to this decision. I kept thinking I could lose weight through Weight Watchers. I'd done it before but it always came back with a vengeance. Anyway, I'm imagining, if all goes well, that I'll have surgery mid-march, I hope. I have to do this for me.

My ankles seem to be always swollen, clothes never fit, my knees are starting to ache if I walk any distance. I still think I'm too young to be falling apart.

Anyway, nice to meet you and any advice you care to share, I am happy to listen. I live alone so an extended family here would be a good thing.

Thanks.

Bonnie[/quote']

Wow it is so nice to see and hear people like me discuss this issues. I will be 60 in a couple of months and yes it has been a process with all the medical issues that I have had but just reading the remarks have given me hope. I have tried to talk with others but just seeing a group in the 60 is great. Does any one crave sweets? How has it been with your fills? I just had one and again had problems, but not as bad. Have stareted to work out more also feel great. Also just had a Tummy Tuck in june 5 2012 and feel real good.

Vstall6046, welcome. If I could have any plastic surgery, it would be a Tummy Tuck. I don't think I want the pain and expense tho'. It would help my figure a lot. But, I just live with the tummy bulge and bear it. When I want to look my best I use a control panty. I have one of those body slips, but hate it, so don't wear it often.

Here in Florida right now, we are experiencing what is know as TS Issac! It is not bad here in Lakeland, which is NE of Tampa by 40 miles. We had a worse storm earlier in the summer, called TS Debbie. The grandkids are out of school in anticipation of a hurricane. The biggest way it effects me is that I can't take my 45-1 hr morning walk. Good thing that I went to my bowling league last night. I am supposed to have a meeting at 10:00, not sure what the weather will be like by then. Well, enough of my ranting. Best wishes to all of us "over the hill" folks. Karen

For you who ask, TS=tropical storm!!!

Reporting in from NE Florida. TS Issac is bringing us some rain and a bit of wind. Other than that - no biggie. Went to the doctor this AM. No weight loss this month so he gave me a slight adjustment after a swig or two of barium. Yum Yum.Love those Fluroscopes..Anyway...feeling OK - still can't exercise due to head injury a few weeks back. I hope it clears up so I can at least walk (exercise type) again. Have a great week to all....

Melinda in Florida

Thanks for the response, I have tried the control panty and whole body suit but It was starting to not hold me in. The more I lost the more it hung down, if it was not hanging I would not have minded. It was also making me go into a larger size of pants to fit my stomach, do be carful with that storm that all we are hearing about here is the storm and how you'll are preparing for it do be safe. Yes, the best of wishes for us Verna

Wow it is so nice to see and hear people like me discuss this issues. I will be 60 in a couple of months and yes it has been a process with all the medical issues that I have had but just reading the remarks have given me hope. I have tried to talk with others but just seeing a group in the 60 is great. Does any one crave sweets? How has it been with your fills? I just had one and again had problems' date=' but not as bad. Have stareted to work out more also feel great. Also just had a Tummy Tuck in june 5 2012 and feel real good.[/quote']

I'm glad you found us. It's wonderful to see the success of the younger people but I think as we mature, we have different issues, like gravity working against us. My downfall is chocolate, especially in the the form of M&M's. I am working on that addiction. How are you doing from the tummy tuck? I hope you're healing well. Do you mind my asking how much weight you lost and the time frame? I have about 100 lbs. to take off and I want it gone yesterday. I know it will take time and work.

kll724 and short & chunky, I hope the storm bypasses you both. I have to say, I get nervous when the wind blows at 10 mph. I have lots of trees and when the smallest twig hits the roof it sounds like the whole tree has come down. Be safe.

bjc1227 - OK, you asked how long it took me to loose my weight,. I lost 104 pounds in 12 months. Some of that 104 I had to loose twice (regain) I have between 35-40 pounds to go and it is going much slower now due to an accident. I can't exercise right now and that is a big reason. I have all my hair and my nails and yes, hanging skin - well, I figure my days a a swimsuit model are over anyway - soooowhat !. At least the poundage is gone and so is the high blood pressure and all my other blood tests have improved greatly (I never was diabetic thank goodness). The knees are 100% better and so are my ankles. As for my buddy TS Issac - he dropped about 8-10 inches of rain on us yesterday with minor flooding - lights stayed on and no trees down. Today, sunny, muggy, light breeze and puddles everywhere...

At our age, the weight does not come off as fast, but it didn't get their fast either. As for the M&M's hey, I like carmel hard candies - I think our hormones or lack thereof is to blame for some of that and so be it. If I don't reach my goal - OK - at least I lost most of it and I feel better, look better and I am better so OK ! I hope that helps answer some of your questions. I was banded 7-7-11 at 268 lbs and I am 5'3". Now , Still 5'3" and 164 lbs. I'll be 61 in a couple of weeks. Have a great week..

Melinda in Florida