Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

61 And Just Beginning

hope you are safe and weather the storm. God Bless

I'm glad you found us. It's wonderful to see the success of the younger people but I think as we mature, we have different issues, like gravity working against us. My downfall is chocolate, especially in the the form of M&M's. I am working on that addiction. How are you doing from the Tummy Tuck? I hope you're healing well. Do you mind my asking how much weight you lost and the time frame? I have about 100 lbs. to take off and I want it gone yesterday. I know it will take time and work.

At last weigh in I was at 207, I started at 247 (2010) had a total knee and lost weight now I am at 207. When I had the tummy tuck I was 218, I went from a size 22 to a 16 with the lapband, and the 16 was fitting nice, but stomach was starting to hang lower with the weight lost even with the body wraps I was putting on. Also wearing them in the summer was HOT........My weight loss has been very slow, compared to the others I see on here, but I also had a lot of medical issues that prevented me from working out now my 16 are real lose due to the stomach being gone. Now, I am in full swing I can walk good knee, no stomach hurting my back I could not even ride a bike sitting down with my stomach with it hanging low. I will be putting the pictures up soon, just learning how to do it, and hoping they wont gross anyone out. I don't care how long it takes now I really feel good about myself, and I work out walking and Zumba (60 and over) three times a week. I just need to stop craving the sweets and the tummy tuck was not bad my knee was worse I could deal with the stomach pain just bent over, and the pumps in my theighs hurt.

bjc1227 - OK, you asked how long it took me to loose my weight,. I lost 104 pounds in 12 months. Some of that 104 I had to loose twice (regain) I have between 35-40 pounds to go and it is going much slower now due to an accident. I can't exercise right now and that is a big reason. I have all my hair and my nails and yes, hanging skin - well, I figure my days a a swimsuit model are over anyway - soooowhat !. At least the poundage is gone and so is the high blood pressure and all my other blood tests have improved greatly (I never was diabetic thank goodness). The knees are 100% better and so are my ankles. As for my buddy TS Issac - he dropped about 8-10 inches of rain on us yesterday with minor flooding - lights stayed on and no trees down. Today, sunny, muggy, light breeze and puddles everywhere...

At our age, the weight does not come off as fast, but it didn't get their fast either. As for the M&M's hey, I like carmel hard candies - I think our hormones or lack thereof is to blame for some of that and so be it. If I don't reach my goal - OK - at least I lost most of it and I feel better, look better and I am better so OK ! I hope that helps answer some of your questions. I was banded 7-7-11 at 268 lbs and I am 5'3". Now , Still 5'3" and 164 lbs. I'll be 61 in a couple of weeks. Have a great week..

Melinda in Florida

This encourages me thank you, reading som of the younger post make me feel as if I was doing something wrong. But, I feel really good and thank you I do love the sweets so I am not alone here but I am working on it. I am diabetic no needles thank God controled by diet, no more bllod pressure medication that left after the surgery fibromyalgia still here as well as back pain, but soooooooooo much better.

At last weigh in I was at 207' date=' I started at 247 (2010) had a total knee and lost weight now I am at 207. When I had the Tummy Tuck I was 218, I went from a size 22 to a 16 with the lapband, and the 16 was fitting nice, but stomach was starting to hang lower with the weight lost even with the body wraps I was putting on. Also wearing them in the summer was HOT........My weight loss has been very slow, compared to the others I see on here, but I also had a lot of medical issues that prevented me from working out now my 16 are real lose due to the stomach being gone. Now, I am in full swing I can walk good knee, no stomach hurting my back I could not even ride a bike sitting down with my stomach with it hanging low. I will be putting the pictures up soon, just learning how to do it, and hoping they wont gross anyone out. I don't care how long it takes now I really feel good about myself, and I work out walking and Zumba (60 and over) three times a week. I just need to stop craving the sweets and the tummy tuck was not bad my knee was worse I could deal with the stomach pain just bent over, and the pumps in my theighs hurt.[/quote']

vstall6046, thank you for sharing. Going from a size 22 to a 16 is great. Health issues can get in the way but it sounds like you're doing well now, and slow weight loss is better in the long run. I've hard good things about Zumba. I am tempted to give it a try. The classes are full of 20 somethings but I need the exercise. Don't worry about your pictures. I'm sure you look better than you think. I'm still trying not to look at the pictures of me from my daughter's wedding. I keep wondering when I got so big, but I know the answer. Keep up the good work.

bjc1227 - OK' date=' you asked how long it took me to loose my weight,. I lost 104 pounds in 12 months. Some of that 104 I had to loose twice (regain) I have between 35-40 pounds to go and it is going much slower now due to an accident. I can't exercise right now and that is a big reason. I have all my hair and my nails and yes, hanging skin - well, I figure my days a a swimsuit model are over anyway - soooowhat !. At least the poundage is gone and so is the high blood pressure and all my other blood tests have improved greatly (I never was diabetic thank goodness). The knees are 100% better and so are my ankles. As for my buddy TS Issac - he dropped about 8-10 inches of rain on us yesterday with minor flooding - lights stayed on and no trees down. Today, sunny, muggy, light breeze and puddles everywhere...

At our age, the weight does not come off as fast, but it didn't get their fast either. As for the M&M's hey, I like carmel hard candies - I think our hormones or lack thereof is to blame for some of that and so be it. If I don't reach my goal - OK - at least I lost most of it and I feel better, look better and I am better so OK ! I hope that helps answer some of your questions. I was banded 7-7-11 at 268 lbs and I am 5'3". Now , Still 5'3" and 164 lbs. I'll be 61 in a couple of weeks. Have a great week..

Melinda in Florida[/quote']

Melinda, you're doing so well. Seeing numbers like that keep me focused. Just 5 more months of this waiting. I know the weight won't come off overnight but my feet will be happier with every pound lost.

I hope your weather is improving and glad you were spared the worst of it. Stay safe.

I have been reading all the posts in this thread and it is very encouraging to see that people my age (61) do well with the lap band.

I go for my pre op on Tuesday and start my pre op diet in two weeks. Surgery is October 19th.

My goal right now is to lose 108 lbs. but that isnt written in stone. I expect it will change as I continue on this journey.

Looking forward to being banded!

I have been reading all the posts in this thread and it is very encouraging to see that people my age (61) do well with the lap band.

I go for my pre op on Tuesday and start my pre op diet in two weeks. Surgery is October 19th.

My goal right now is to lose 108 lbs. but that isnt written in stone. I expect it will change as I continue on this journey.

Looking forward to being banded!

This is exciting news and I'm very happy for you. The time before surgery will fly by. Good luck to you. Let us know how you're doing.

Dear timeformyself, you can do it too! It isn't as easy as falling off a log, or having gastric bypass. You have to work at lit. But, when you do, you make a commitment to yourself that you are doing it. I, always, would start diets with good intentions, and then fail because I got bored. If that happens with lapband, your band should stop a total failure. I originally wrote will, but then realized that folks have eaten around their bands to cause themselves to fail. Best wishes to you. and keep in touch! Karen

Hi 61ers..hope everyone is doing well. I am struggling here in Jacksonville a bit. I had a serious gym injury the end of July and therefore most of the fill had to be removed from my band and all exercise was stopped(concussion and whiplash). I am still empty and still without exercise so I am a bit down - but not in the weight department. I have put on about 3-5 pounds (won't get on the scale) and trying not to be too hard on myself. This will pass. I see the doctor on Friday and hopefully he will begin putting fill back in the band (or wire my jaws shut - don't care. Going to physical therapy 2-3 days per week to get better so things are starting to feel somewhat better.. Anyway, I haven't been on this site in a bit and I really miss you guys ! You are my strength! I know that sounds wierd and very dependent but that is just the way it is. When I read about your pitfalls and your successes I get re-charged and get myself excited once again.. Thank you..Hope everyone is having a good day and hanging in there. When you post - you never know what an impact you may be making on someone else - thanks guys !!!

Melinda in Florida

I had my surgery last October 2011 and I was 62. Everyone is different, but it you follow the plan it will work. If I can do it, so can you! Good luck and keep us posted!

I want to tell you I have been there and its hard to wait for the day of surgery. I also had to wait for the insurance company to get the ok. They still didn't pay for the surgery, I did it out of pocket. Its been the best thing I could of done for my health. I feel so much better and able to do so much more.

I hope that your surgery date comes soon and you are on the best journey of your life time.

Karen

Very inspiring stories from our seniors on the forum. Keep up the stories and all your good work.

Best wishes

Very inspiring stories from our seniors on the forum. Keep up the stories and all your good work.

Best wishes

Thanks Rojasanoll. I must correct you though. We aren't seniors yet. We are just more mature.

Take care.

Hi 61ers..hope everyone is doing well. I am struggling here in Jacksonville a bit. I had a serious gym injury the end of July and therefore most of the fill had to be removed from my band and all exercise was stopped(concussion and whiplash). I am still empty and still without exercise so I am a bit down - but not in the weight department. I have put on about 3-5 pounds (won't get on the scale) and trying not to be too hard on myself. This will pass. I see the doctor on Friday and hopefully he will begin putting fill back in the band (or wire my jaws shut - don't care. Going to physical therapy 2-3 days per week to get better so things are starting to feel somewhat better.. Anyway' date=' I haven't been on this site in a bit and I really miss you guys ! You are my strength! I know that sounds wierd and very dependent but that is just the way it is. When I read about your pitfalls and your successes I get re-charged and get myself excited once again.. Thank you..Hope everyone is having a good day and hanging in there. When you post - you never know what an impact you may be making on someone else - thanks guys !!!

Melinda in Florida[/quote']

It's good to see you Melinda. I had wondered what you were up to.

I'm sorry to hear you had an injury, at the gym no less. Remember, do not watch the weight lifters while you are trying to work out. :)

I hope you will be feeling better soon.

I have 4 months to go for my approval. I am ready now.

Take care.

Bonnie

I want to tell you I have been there and its hard to wait for the day of surgery. I also had to wait for the insurance company to get the ok. They still didn't pay for the surgery' date=' I did it out of pocket. Its been the best thing I could of done for my health. I feel so much better and able to do so much more.

I hope that your surgery date comes soon and you are on the best journey of your life time.

Karen[/quote']

Thank you Karen. This wait has gone faster than I thought it would. I'm almost there. I know the surgery will be worth it all. I still want to buy a bike next year and I have a kayak to dust off and put on the lake. I'm not ready for the rocker yet.

Take care.

Bonnie