Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Experience Lap Band Prejudice And Ignorance From Nurse

So today 8 days post op I had my stitches out at a general clinic not my lap band folks. The nurse said i should have tried to be consistent with food and exercise instead of the operation. I was really kind and explained I needed this tool and why and that in fact I have exercised regularly for years. Hopefully she will begin to understand rather than assume things. I remember when I has lost 80 pou ds I had a gallblader attack. The doctor said to stop eating Kentucky fried chicken. Who the he'll loses 80 pounds eating that? and furthermore I do not like junk food I prefer cooking from scratch and organic sourced when available. ah well I must make assumptions about things too but I was just so happy and that was a bit of a bummer but stitches gone!

Stitches? I had no stitches to remove. Mine are inside and the outside was closed with Dermabond, a form of super glue lol

Ignore the ignorant, they have no idea what you've been thru in life and it's none of the business. But to make assumptions you lived of KFC from a professional is soooooo wrong!!

Yes I had metal staples. My kids thought it was spectacularly halloweenish! Thanks for the support. My surgery was done for free in Quebec Canada. It is covered here but looooong waiting list. I waited about 2 years. Now it is 4 years wait! The provincial government here believes it to be preventative.

I would if smacked her:) How rude!! I had to tell a nuse today that I had lapband cause I was going in with my son to get an MRI and wasnt sure if they needed to know that or not. Was all set for the ignorance, but she just looked at me and Wow, looked liked it worked. I said yes about 75 lbs so far and she asked a couple more questions and went in her way. Never know what kind if reaction you might get.

Sorry you had to deal with that!! congrats on your surgery.

WOW...you were nice, I would have told her a piece of my mind....

A few years ago I would of but not worth the energy. It is just surprising that people think you r a sloth eating greaser!

I don't mind educating people but sometimes it would be nice not to have to. Even my primary care physician had a ton of questions because he didn't have all the information.

I'm still pre-band, but I'm getting a fair amount of...I guess judgement? from people. It's not necessarily mean, but I've heard from almost everyone "why do you want to have THAT?!". It's so easy for people to suggest diet and exercise. That plan doesn't work for everyone. Even the psychologist during my psych eval said that I didn't strike her as someone who would need to have this surgery (I'm 235 lbs on avg). I thought she may be the crazy one.

The bottom line is, I want to have it done and feel like it's my best option to be successful in weight loss. Nobody else has to wake up and fall asleep in my skin. Everyone else's opinions are just that - their opinions.

A few years ago I would of but not worth the energy. It is just surprising that people think you r a sloth eating greaser!

LOL.

So today 8 days post op I had my stitches out at a general clinic not my lap band folks. The nurse said i should have tried to be consistent with food and exercise instead of the operation. I was really kind and explained I needed this tool and why and that in fact I have exercised regularly for years. Hopefully she will begin to understand rather than assume things. I remember when I has lost 80 pou ds I had a gallblader attack. The doctor said to stop eating Kentucky fried chicken. Who the he'll loses 80 pounds eating that? and furthermore I do not like junk food I prefer cooking from scratch and organic sourced when available. ah well I must make assumptions about things too but I was just so happy and that was a bit of a bummer but stitches gone!

Frankly, as a professional woman, I find this wildly unprofessional of the nurse. And since this is still a business, I would have said something to the doctor or the office manager. I had to do that with my first nutritionist who was so completely unprofessional I couldn't take it any more. (Not in this way but she was always always ALWAYS late for appointments...by a lot. Like I had nothing else to do but wait for her. And then she could never remember who I was or my name.) Now I have a great nutritionist who lets me email her! And she's always on time!

Just my opinion.

Totally unprofessional. I would definately write directly or speak with whoever is the top manager for the clinic. The idea that a medical professional would look down on a patient for dealing with a medical problem is beyond the pale.

Goodness, got to love ignorant people! If it were an easy fix wouldn't everyone everywhere be a lot lighter?! As if we choose to stay overweight, as if it isn't a battle every day. I have yet to get my surgery but I have no problem telling people how it is now and after surgery I'm sure it may increase slightly. Good luck to you!

Totally unprofessional. I would definately write directly or speak with whoever is the top manager for the clinic. The idea that a medical professional would look down on a patient for dealing with a medical problem is beyond the pale.

Amen!

Would she have said something so insensitive to someone who has cancer? So rude. Now I am really ticked off at this nurse I don't even know!

If you need me to be your wingman, send me the email of the clinic. ;)

I'm still pre-band' date=' but I'm getting a fair amount of...I guess judgement? from people. It's not necessarily mean, but I've heard from almost everyone "why do you want to have THAT?!". It's so easy for people to suggest diet and exercise. That plan doesn't work for everyone. Even the psychologist during my psych eval said that I didn't strike her as someone who would need to have this surgery (I'm 235 lbs on avg). I thought she may be the crazy one.

The bottom line is, I want to have it done and feel like it's my best option to be successful in weight loss. Nobody else has to wake up and fall asleep in my skin. Everyone else's opinions are just that - their opinions.[/quote']

Don't listen to what ppl have to say I was 270lbs pre surgery 2008. Nobody knows what it's like to b fat and not being able to shop in the "normal" sections. I heard the "you don't need that surgery" all the time and the tears that my mother cried cuz she thought I was going to die on the table hello the chance of me dying in a car accident is greater then the surgery!! I do have to say one thing that ppl need to be prepared for tho and that's the skin. Ya I may weigh 150 lbs but il never b happy I'm still stuck in my fat suit I c all the skin hanging and my bat wings omg my bat wings :( I think I shld have had therapy cuz il never b happy

What I think I will do next is suggest some scientific data that is evidenced based. That gets the healthcare folks every time. The Canadian Obesity Network provides courses for ignorant healthcare workers so they can learn the disease aspects and genetic side of this issue . Here in Canada health care is Mostly public with some private but they still have to be professional.