Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie! Trying To Figure Out The Next Steps

Hi everyone!

After many years of trying to lose weight, my doctor is giving me the go ahead for weight loss surgery if I can't lose some weight by September. She and I have discussed the lap band and she gave me some information to read. Right now, what do i need to do to prep for this surgery? I am a little confused by all of the different surgeries that are lap band or something similar to it.

First step is go to a seminar, find your surgeon and meet with them afterwards they should be able to tell you what to do from there

Go to the library or check out lapband surgery on the computer. Didn't the doc give yoiu anything/?

Also check with your insurance to see what they will cover, and if they have any requirements for approval...supervised diet. That way you'll have everything done when the time comes.

Congrats and taking the first step!

I received information from my doctor on lapband and also gastric bypass. She stated that since I have GEHA insurance that they might elect to do a different WLS. I thought there were only these two types of surgeries. I did call insurance but received vague answers from them. Guess I better find out who they cover in my area.

I am new also, but a little further along. I have just had visit #3, of my supervised diet doctor. What I call jumping through hoops. Long process.....Hope its worth it.

I have United Health Care of Florida. Anyone else have United Health?

I would call uhc and find out about your BARIATRIC BENEFITS. THOSE ARE THE WORDS.. What ever you do, do not let them give you flimsy answers. Also the administrator of the human resources where you work should know the beneftits. Also the surgeons office has some one there that knows what each insurance company pays and which surgery it will pay. Look for seminars where you live. Try to get friendly with the Dr's office staff. Find someone who will help you. When I was going to have surgery, I did all the testing and then found out that my boss got rid of all Bariatric coverages. That ended that. I had to pay out of pocket $10,000.00 for the lapband.

What ever you do. DO NOT GIVE UP until some one who knows tells you what kind of coverage you have or if you do not have any...Be strong. This wls is very worth your time. I am 64 years old now. I have had the lapband 2 years 2 months already. good luck

Research is key! You want a clinic that will support you and has a good rounded program - not sure where you are located- I went to Thinlife Surgical Weight Loss in Sudbury, ON Canada - you can check them out at www.thinlife.ca

Good luck on your journey!!

I received information from my doctor on lapband and also gastric bypass. She stated that since I have GEHA insurance that they might elect to do a different WLS. I thought there were only these two types of surgeries. I did call insurance but received vague answers from them. Guess I better find out who they cover in my area.

I have GEHA insurance. You have to have six months of weight loss/nutrition visits with your PCP. Your BMI must be 40 or greater with no co-morbidities or 35-40 with one or more co-morbidities.

I started last November and should have my band in June. Good Luck!

I have GEHA insurance. You have to have six months of weight loss/nutrition visits with your PCP. Your BMI must be 40 or greater with no co-morbidities or 35-40 with one or more co-morbidities.

My PCP is with the dept of va affairs and I have insurance through my job. I am calling my PCP to see if I can do the 6 months of weightloss with her instead of doing weight watchers. I am not going to give up! If this doesn't work then when open season begins I'll switch to BCBS and still get it..

It takes a ton of jumping through hoops to reach the end goal. I had my surgery yesterday. It is kind of a scary thought for me that yesterday my life changed forever! i have never been a thin girl, i mean i am 21 and just had lapband. With the surgery there are so many different emotions involved, but the minute you come out of anesthesia it is an amazing feeling knowing you made that leap to have a healthier future.

Difa,

I found a few surgeons in the Philadelphia area that GEHA covers. I do meet all of the requirements. I am starting the 6 month diet supervision with my doctor. Did GEHA cover it 100% or did you have out of pocket cost?

Difa' date='

I found a few surgeons in the Philadelphia area that GEHA covers. I do meet all of the requirements. I am starting the 6 month diet supervision with my doctor. Did GEHA cover it 100% or did you have out of pocket cost?[/quote']

I pay 15% after my 250 deductible.

Thank all of you. I am in month 4 of my 6 month diet. Doing ok,but not great. I have a good surgeon and support staff. They tell you exactly what to do. My pre-op is June 25.