Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Byte Syndrome And Heart Burn - Suggestions Needed For 1.5 Years Post Op

Hey everyone

I will start with my story- Banded aug 2010, my doc is really conservative with fills and crazy busy so i didn't start feeling a bit of restriction or real weight loss until march 2011.... now i am 80 lbs down. Start 300, currently 220.

As soon as i started getting fills i realized i have what is called first bite syndrome. It sucks. As soon as i eat anything my throat starts contracting, i develop a rediculous amount of thickkkk mucussy saliva and i feel pretty intense pain. Usually lasts 10 minutes, and then i can eat pretty normally. Smaller bites and pre-drinking hot Water hasn't helped. My doc says that i am just one of the unlucky few that has this problem. I have dealt with it over the time and became use to it.

The problem is that i have trouble defferentiating between feeling full and the pain from the FBS. There are some meals where i just stop on the third bite just because the pain isn't worth it, but i usually just wait the 10 minutes and eat.

Well, currently i keep having feelings of heartburn/FBS problems when i am not eating. Sometimes i feel like my body goes crazy on the anticipation of a meal... like driving home from work. I hear everyone say that if you are having heartburn you are probably too tight.... my problem with this is that i don't feel like i am. After i get over the FBS and 10 minutes i can eat pretty large portions before i feel full. Most food goes down easily (bread is main exception, that stuff is bad) meats like chicken, beef, pork i can consume decent sized portions before feeling a full feeling.

So i feel stuck, here i am with heartburn... probably needing to unfill, but reluctant to because my portions are pretty large still and i want more fill. I know my situation is unique with FBS and maybe i am not really having heartburn, but just more complications with my body reacting poorly due to FBS. Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, advice?

I am making an appointment with my doc as it has been like 5 months and 30 lbs since my last fill.

Thanks everyone

FBS? Hmmm? Maybe that's what I have? Although it seems to come near the bottom of my esophogus or top of my stomach? Happens about 60% of the time and especially if I take too large of a bite or chew inadequately.

Heartburn, haven't had that yet. But thanks for possibly naming a symptom I have.

Try going on liquids for a week again. Stop the irritation of the band. Let it rest. Then go back to mushed and then solid foods. This has helped me a lot. Once I've irritated the band it becomes swollen, causing the fbs and inability to eat properly. You can try this before going for an unfill. Indications that I too tight was a night cough and choking feeling with massive heartburn. Good luck.

FBS? Hmmm? Maybe that's what I have? Although it seems to come near the bottom of my esophogus or top of my stomach? Happens about 60% of the time and especially if I take too large of a bite or chew inadequately.

Heartburn, haven't had that yet. But thanks for possibly naming a symptom I have.

FBS?? can i ask?? whats that ?? im getting some pain in my left shoulderblade when i eat...

The first post of this thread explains what it is but I don't think it's what you have?

The first post of this thread explains what it is but I don't think it's what you have?

im not sure what it is either... could it be indigestion?? is that possible?? but im only eating small amounts. I did feel better last night restricting my meal more... perhaps it was like indigestion? only, i get traces of it when i drink as well.. its like its there in the background just waiting to flare up?

This is the first I ever heard of this....... Usually people suffer from GERD. I suffered a slip, and trust me you don't want to go there. Do yourself a favor, and go see your Dr., even a slight unfill followed by liquids is a good thing. Your in this for life ! Adjustments are Adjustments, whether you go up or down is part of the game, and it is necessary. You could take a pill, get stuck, and swell up, and need to be unfilled for a while. Thats the band, a Life of Maintenance by your Dr., but you already know this, and if not, you do now. Check it out with the Dr. but please do something.

I was also suffering from nighttime reflux and I wasn't too tight. I could eat just about anything. I still don't understand why.

FBS happens to me sometimes. Usually at first meal of the day. I do soft foods for first meal and eat slowly. Sometimes I use a tiny bit of liquid to ease it down.