Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All

Let me start with the basics:

I was banded 6/8/2010, total weight loss approx 100 lbs (fluxuates btw 96 and 100) was a size 22ish and now an 8 or 10 depending on brand, and had my TT 8/26/2011

Here's my dilemma

For some reason if I am not wearing a XXL sweatshirt/shirt or super baggy pair of sweats I am totally self-conscious. If I even attempt something slightly fitted I feel like I am bigger than when I started. It's strange I am sure. My best friend thinks I am a bit nuts (which I prob am), and I told her I would put more effort into dressing "my size"

Sooo, for anyone out there, how do you move past what used to be in the mirror compared to what is there now - btw when I look in the mirror I still see that 270ish lb person

Any input greatly appreciated

It's tough, and it's something we all go through.

I still feel fat sometimes, my clothes don't alway feel they fit right. They feel tight and hard to button my pants sometimes.

But then I have to tell myself I'm not wearing XXL's anymore, but I'm struggling with MEDIUMS!!!

Every now and then I will put on a old shirt, one that I forgot to throw out, and it looks like a TENT!

You will get over it with time. KEEP LOOKING IN THE MIRROR! Eventually you will realize that different person you see is you!

thanks B-52. I'm trying. I did my a "my size" sweater today and I am hoping I will actually wear it... I'll keep looking

thanks B-52. I'm trying. I did my a "my size" sweater today and I am hoping I will actually wear it... I'll keep looking

Sooner or later you'll realize all these people giving you compliments really mean it.

I hope so, my bestie is really to kill me and my hubby just doesn't get why I don't see it.

You are not alone..... i would think that at lease 90% of us feel the same way. Pictures... they help sometimes. Are find something to wear that really makes you feel good.

I sometimes see myself thin and then i think..... I can't really be this thin..... and maybe i really look bad and people are just being nice....

Hang in there

B..... Looking good....!!!

You might want to read some self help books about body image. I would think it better to get a handle on this sooner rather than later ... this can be a complicated issue. Therapy might help but you might be the kind of person that can do a little reading about the body image phenomenon and get a handle on it.

I remember one morning after taking my walk and stopping at the grocery store, I stopped in to visit my best friend. She looked at me and said "Why are you still wearing that running suit? It's much too big for you and you look ridiculous." If not that we have been best friend's since kindergarten, I might have been offended. But, what I realized was that I hadn't taken an honest look at myself and accepted how much weight I'd lost. After that, you couldn't keep me out of the stores buying new clothes! I still need to lose several pounds, and ... my doc took all my Fluid out last week, ughhhh. But, once I start to refill (and even before), I am going to keep working toward getting all my excess weight off. It's scary sometimes, but WE CAN DO THIS. Start shopping for your "real" size, I think you'll get the hang of it.

All the best to you and congratulations on your success!

~Fran

I weigh around 178 right now, and I still feel like I weigh well over 200 lbs. I don't know why that is the case, and I don't ever know if that will go away. It is strange for sure. I also feel that is what people see me as. Someone who weighs over 200 lbs.

I weigh around 178 right now, and I still feel like I weigh well over 200 lbs. I don't know why that is the case, and I don't ever know if that will go away. It is strange for sure. I also feel that is what people see me as. Someone who weighs over 200 lbs.

that's exactly how I feel JJ, that I still look to others that I still weigh over 250 lbs. I mean I could still lose maybe 10 lbs - and tighten up some, but I at a good size (number wise).

Searching Amazon.com now for a good body image book for my Kindle

that's exactly how I feel JJ, that I still look to others that I still weigh over 250 lbs. I mean I could still lose maybe 10 lbs - and tighten up some, but I at a good size (number wise).

Searching Amazon.com now for a good body image book for my Kindle

I might need to check on those books as well. I need to tone up for sure, and I plan on starting as soon as I get over this second surgery, but I still don't like what I see in the mirror.

My Exwife explaned it good to me after she lost weight from gastric bypass surgery 13 years ago. She said she will always be a fat person and she sees herself as such. She said that she still dreamed about all the foods she enjoyed she aslo said when she looked in the mirror she still saw the fat woman in herself.

Now that I have gone through this Lap Band I understand where she came from cause I see it somewhat the same way! As did She I get compliments all the time but I just don't see it!

Congrats to all on your success. By far,my overarching reason for going ahead with my surgery was to try to head off future health concerns. No doubt,I'd like my clothes to fit better,but I'm sure that will come.....

Congrats to all on your success. By far,my overarching reason for going ahead with my surgery was to try to head off future health concerns. No doubt,I'd like my clothes to fit better,but I'm sure that will come.....

I didn't get my lap-band to decrease my clothing size I did it to better my overall health. The decrease in materials used to make my clothes is an added bonus.

CONGRATS on your success!!! I was banded 5-24-2010, lost 71 lbs and have been at my "goal" weight for about a year. I am just now getting comfortable with wearing my new size of clothes! My husband (who has never been overweight in his life) really couldn't understand that I still think of myself as fat. But I've been working very hard at getting past that.

Whenever I start having "fat thoughts", I stop and say to myself things like "a fat person doesn't wear size 4 jeans!". I've also been "forcing" myself to dress thin...tuck my shirt into my jeans, etc. Also do something you never used to think of doing because "only skinny people can do that".

It's kinda hard to do (makes me feel vain) but DO look in the mirror...alot...and tell yourself how good you look! Sometimes it helps when I'm sitting in a chair and I notice that I don't take up as much and/or "hang over" like I used to. Thinking thoughts like this WILL get easier (I promise), you just need to start making yourself think thinner. DON'T ALLOW YOURSELF "FAT" OR "UGLY" THOUGHTS ABOUT YOURSELF!!!

Read some self-help image books & practice their lessons, if that helps you. Also, DON'T let yourself hang around people who say/do negative things to/about you! Good luck!!! You know you're beautiful...and strong...so start acting like it!!! (my daily mantra and you're welcome to it, too)

My husband and I went out to hear a band this weekend. There were several women dancing. I asked my husband help me figure out where I fit in regards to size in comparison to the women that were dancing. I really have no idea what my body size looks like.