Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Fill Or Pouch Stretched?

I was banded In December and so far have had 2 fills. I am not proud to say that last week Friday I completely fell off the wagon. I drank Water while I ate junk (taco bell tacos and potatoes)for two meals ( did not measure the food). Since this incident I have been super hungry lately. I am going for a third fill next Thursday with Barium and am worried I might find out I have stretched my pouch. I am only supposed to be eating 4 oz meals three times a day. Lately I can eat almost a cup and a half of food! ( mainly 4 oz Protein the rest veggies). Can messing up one day really cause pouch dilation? I have still lost 2 pounds this week even though I had this episode, I'm soooo worried!

Ps- I was able to eat an apple (skin and all) today so do you think I might just not have enough restriction? Still have never been stuck or PBed

just because you can eat 1.5c food, does not mean you should. Remember why you got the surgery and stick to the rules set forth by your surgeon.

Once you get the lap band and experience hunger before a fill you will understand.

I am wondering if anyone who has had the band for some time has any input?

You said 2 fills but you did not say total cc's that you have.

My first fill was 4cc, and did not notice any difference. As a matter of fact after my first fill and before my second, I gained weight.

Second fill was 4 weeks after the first, for 2 cc. Restriction would come and go, but I definitley could not pig out. I did have a few stuck episodes for the first time, but I was still very hungry.

Third fill was 4 weeks after the second, 1cc, for a total of 7. That was the Charm for me. Total green zone.

I have since then, complete Portion Control, I am rarley hungry between meals, and when I do have a meal most of the time I really do not feel lilke eating that much. Sometimes I have to remind and force myself to eat.

What you have described, I could not touch with a 10 foot pole. Taco's? I don't think my band would allow more that 2 small bites. Drinking while eating? Forget what they taught you, I learned that lesson the hard way. So, you have had 2 fills...have you ever felt any restricion? In order to stretch your pouch, you would need one in the first place for food to accumulate. Otherwise it goes freely into the stomach.

I have had other people tell me their Dr. only gives them very small fills, it it would take them forever to get any restriction.

My doctor has never told me to eat by volume (ie cups). My doctor says to measure out 3 oz of solid Protein and then eat mostly veggies and some fruit. As for drinking while you eat; just stop. I've found when I choose less salty food my need for a drink went away.

It's highly unlikely that you've stretched your pouch. It's most likely that you simply have no restriction. Everyone's different. I've had one fill of 5 cc in a 14 cc band and am already in the green zone. My guy has had one fill of 4 cc and has some restriction but definitely can - and does - eat far too much. He obviously needs another fill, and you probably do, too. For now, try to do Portion Control until you can get another fill. You only need to wait a month between fills, and if your next appointment is further away than that, call for a sooner appointment.

I only drank while eating that one time. I had been following the rules religiously until that day. The tacos were chicken and lettuce in a hard shell which is like eating a chip ( a slider I know).

As far as the amount of cc's I am not sure. My surgeon doesn't tell me nd I almost don't want to know. I think he is emphasizing how you feel rather than judging by the amount.

My last fill offered me some restriction. I had it a month ago. I have lost 15 pounds since and I think I definitely need another ( going next Thursday).

My main concern is eating a cup of veggies with my Protein. I know lettuce turns to Water so you can eat more of it and not risk stretching the pouch. What about broccoli, Brussels sprouts or bell peppers? I am worried because I feel the need to eat more than 4 oz each meal.

My plan is 2-4 oz Protein, 1/2 cup of veggies and 1/2 serving of carbs. Most veggies are mostly Water, and if you need a full cup to fill you up, it won't harm you. You can also have a salad with lo-cal dressing before you eat to fill you up, and then have the cooked veggies with the meal.

My surgeon decides how much of a fill you need by how you feel, too. He always asks if I've had any vomiting or PBs, and whether I feel as if there's enough restriction. I didn't want to get all hung up with the amount of the fill, either, but he told me what he was going to give me and thengave me a printed sheet with the amount filled in. It's just interesting to me how everyone's needs are different.

My nurse educator and nutritionist say I can call them any time with any questions. If you have such a resource, use it!

And 15 pounds in one month is GREAT!! You seem to be worrying too much. The cure for that is information, and if you can get it here, fine, but if we can't help you, call the doctor's office and ask. They love that. It makes them feel more involved in your care.

I was banded on Feb 3rd and have lost 28#. I noticed yesterday that I gained a pound. Is this normal? I have a 14cc band and have only had one fill of 3cc. Dr put no fill in on day of surgery. I think im ready for another fill??? Im not eating much ....maybe 1c. How do u know if you've stretched your pouch!

I am only 11 days post op, Following the liquid diet was easy I guess due to being in recovery from the surgery. I am guessing from the comments that before you get a fill you must be able to eat more. I have been measuring food 4oz per meal and have no problem drinking 11oz shake. But I see people on here that say they can't even get down 2oz? I have over done it a few times cause in starting to get hungrier, and I've eaten up to 8oz food. I'm on purée diet and have had no nausea or anything like that. I hope I haven't stretched mine???

I too was banded in december and have had 2 fills (Total of 6cc so far). It's been 2 weeks since my last fill and I still eat way too much. I've lost 10 lbs since my last fill (30lbs total weight loss) but now find myself maintaining that weight....no extra loss....no gain either. So I think I need another fill and this might be your case too. I always get told by my doctor that even though I can eat more doesn't mean I have to. This is something I struggle with because when I eat that 1 cup of food I find myself extremely hungry and munching all day long....which is wrong. So I eat a bigger portion of Protein during the meal and it helps me get to the next meal without cheating, I don't think this is working anymore. Remember, he operated your stomach, not your brain. Most of the work had to come from you. This is what I'm starting to realize. But hang in there!! You'll be able to get to goal weight.