Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Can I Except For The First 90 Days Post - Opt?

I am being banded 5/22/12. I am very excited and nervous. I would like to ask people who have already been banded a few questions.

First, what was the first 3 months like? How much weight did you lose?

Second, I have a vacation already scheduled with my husband and friends at 7 weeks post surgery. It should be shortly after my first fill. What should I expect? Should I pack certain foods/drinks in case I have restriction?

I have already began to work on some of the rules to prepare my brain. I eat one bite and wait a minute till the next. This has already reduced the amount of food I eat b/c I dont want to eat for 2 hours and I get the full feeling faster or before I am done with my plate. Also, my food gets cold and loses some appeal. I have not dont it every meal but I am getting there. My bites are not as small as they will have to be with the band. I feel like the rules are "doable" but I also get scared when I read how many people have not lost weight. I dont want to fail again.

Please let me know what your first 90 days was like, what I can expect in lifestyle and weight loss and what I can do to prepare more mentally!

Thanks!

Katy

(banded scheduled 5/22/12 - My highest weight was 306. I went for first appt and was at 270 and now am at 267, I hope to lose 100 to 110 lbs)

I think as long as you do EVERYTHING you are told to do during the recovery time, you should be fine. I know that everyone is different..but for me I was in Pain Pain Pain! During Surgery they fill you up with gases so they can manuver around..so when you recovering the pressure is painful..walking helps..meds help too BUT they have side effects (constipation, dry mouth etc). Once you have had your first fill you won't have experianced too much weightloss (or at least I didn't) but continue with the stuff you have taught yourself already ( I'm still learning and it's been 2 years) and the weight should come off quickly.. you should be fine. Keep a food journal now cuz it will be harder to do when asked to later..Don't read my blog lol cuz it will scare you..but it is a good example of what not to do..Good luck to you, and have fun on your vacation..

Nikki

I was banded Jan 30, 2012 so I am aproximately 45 days out. I had my first Dr. visit on Feb 20th, check up and first fill. My dr is Dr Charles Morton, Nashville Tn. I found out at this visit that 4cc was put into my 10cc band at surgery. As I could feel some restriction already he added 1.4 cc more for a total of 5.4. This is a good time to talk to your Dr. and ask questions about anything. My Dr was very good about answering any and all questions. I had had no stuck episodes at this point. Was able to eat almost anything I wanted but appetite had lessened a lot.

I returned on March 12th for follow up and this time met with Dr assistant Heather. She is fantastic, has been with Dr. Morton 19 years and just a sweet heart. We discussed how this is a learning time with the band. How to relearn about bites, chewing, drinking, needing to continue with Protein Drinks and to take Vitamins everyday. Listen to your body, measure food and wait for that feeling of OK I have eaten enough. She also told me that I could only go aproximately 4 hours without eating again. Very pleased with this visit. We talked about adding more to band and decided to add small amount. aprox 6cc more. This brought me up to 6cc. I deank Water while she added to band and was fine with swallowing at this time.

Headed home, approxiately hour drive and had good rest of day and night. She told me only full liquids rest of day and for next 24 hours then progress to reg diet.

Welllllllllllllllllll !!!!! on Tues night I could tell that I was very tight and Wednesday had trouble even drinking Protein drinks, coffee which usually relaxes band if a little tight. By Wednesday night I knew I had to go back to have some taken out. On Thursday morn I called office and they told me to come in. Heather was so sorry that I had to go through this and assured me that it was OK to have some taken out. Tighter is not better. She said she took out 3 cc but it felt so much better instantly. I was able to drink a half bottle of water. She said that this happens sometime in the beginning, that we have some swelling when the band has solution added and that it just gets too tight. She also told me to never wait if this happens again that someone will meet me at the office and take care of any problem. How about that????

It has been almost 8 hours since I had this done and I have had a Protein Drink and lots of liquid today. I have just had dinner, chicken and green veggy with no problems.

It is a learning time and not so much a weight loss time. So far I have lost 16 lbs. in the 45 days since surgery. I know some lose a lot more but you must be happy with what is. I feel so blessed that this is available for me to experience and for all the others who will take this journey to better health through weight loss surgery. Don't be afraid, be excited and keep reading these forums they have very good advice about what to expect and personal experience that is so valuable to you.

Good luck on your journey

Sorry when I reread my reply I should have said that Heather removed .03 cc. not 3cc. this leaves 5.7cc in band.