Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To This And To Process

Hi all! I am brand new to all of this. I have my first info session on Tuesday. I plan to move forward. I have a few questions.

I am not concerned about about insurance coverage too much, I have read a lot. I have a BMI of 40, PCOS, and currently high bp.

Does PCOS count as an additional condition?

I have Cigna, I am not super concerned about the 6 month diet if they make me do it. But...what if I lose a lot of weight? Will I then not be eligible?

Can anyone tell me what happens after this info session? Do they usually weigh you at this? How soon was your consult after? What next??

Thanks!!!

At my info session, they talked a bit, did Q&As, then scheduled everyone still interested to meet with one of the two surgeons. My appt was about 3 weeks later. I guess every insurance is different but I think that a lot of people are banded not because they cant lose weight but because they cant keep it off. its something to ask your surgeon about. You wouldn't be tge

At my info session, they talked a bit, did Q&As, then scheduled everyone still interested to meet with one of the two surgeons. My appt was about 3 weeks later. I guess every insurance is different but I think that a lot of people are banded not because they cant lose weight but because they cant keep it off. its something to ask your surgeon about. You wouldn't be the first person who doesn't follow the diet as strictly as they should because of that fear. :)

Ugh I hate this phone.

Can anyone tell me what happens after this info session? Do they usually weigh you at this? How soon was your consult after? What next??

We were given information packets before the session began. The surgeon informed us about the following bariatric surgery topics:

• What it is
  • Why do it
  • Who qualifies
  • What types are available
  • What is the weight loss
  • What are the other benefits
  • What are the risks
  • Next steps

Next, a person from the insurance department provided general information. She also told about her success with the band.

The final component of the information session was a question and answer period.

We were not weighed at the information session.

If we wished to proceed, we were told to check with our insurance company to verify benefit coverage for WLS. Next, we were required to complete a registration packet and mail it back to the surgeon's office; contact approved assessment providers for appointments (dietitian, psychologist, and physical therapist); complete lab work; complete an EKG; and finally, watch a program on the Internet.

I attended the information session in July and called to make appointments for the assessments the next day. I asked for the earliest available appointment in each department; all were scheduled about a month later. Once the assessments were completed, I was able to schedule an appointment with the surgeon; his first available appointment was in December.

I was weighed at the appointment with the dietitian and again at my appointment with the surgeon.

Hope this helps.

The first thing you need to do is contact insurance ask them to mail you all requirements for bariatic surgery I'm glad I did this because on the phone after they said they didn't cover it two times my dr called and they no we don't cover it I called told them had sent me a packet and the next time my dr called they said yes we cover it. This was the approval just stating that they do cover barbaric surgery. It helps to have everything in front of you in writing on all requirements. Good luck. It takes a little effort since they hope you'll give up.

Thank you SO much for your replies. I did call my insurance and I did attend the information session. I do have a 6 month requirement. The nurse who led the information session said that the insurance relies on your weight prior to surgery, not your weight when you begin the process. That is the only thing that is frustrating to me. I am going to have to sort of maintain my fat at this point. I am at a pretty high point for me. I could easily lose 15-20 pounds but I am wondering when I am going to be weighed last, after the liquid diet? Anyway, I plan to ask the surgeon on Monday when I meet with them. Can you all tell me anything more about your journey, has it been worth it?

Get everything from your insurance co in writing. No they dont weight you at the info session and yes, I have heard of someone who lost approval by losing too much on the 6 month diet.

The 6 month diet was the easiest diet I ever went on no pressure I did start trying to add more Protein. I used it as a time to test various powders and drinks. Buying samPle packs when possible You don't want to buy a large tub of something you cannt drink. I also started to wean myself from diet cokes.I was an addict ! I lost around 8 lbs in the end but had up and down.wt throughout