Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my orientation tonight, which was very informative.

However, it was suggested by the surgeon that "people who get the lapband usually lose 30% of their excess body weight".

From lurking on the forums for a while, it seems that most people (here at least) have a pretty high success rate and lose a significant amount of their excess weight.

It could all be in my head, but it seemed the surgeon was pushing people more towards the sleeve or gastric. He implied that the band is "the surgery of the past".

Can people please give their suggestions and opinions?

(He isn't my choice surgeon, by the way. I have 3 others ahead of him that I'd like to speak with.)

Thanks,

Jen

you will find that a LOT of our surgeons gently if not firmly tried to steer us away from the band. There are a lot of people that lose little to no weight from not following the rules - and this makes their (the surgeons') own personal statistics bad. I know only 2 people with the band - myself and a friend. We are both successful. It all depends on YOU and your choices as to whether you'll be successful.

My surgeon's data indicated his "average" patient loses 40% of his/her excess weight. I asked what his patients who lost more than this amount did differently than the average patient. He replied that the patients who lose more educate themselves well about the behaviors they need to incorporate into their lives to be successful with the band.

My surgeon's data indicated his "average" patient loses 40% of his/her excess weight. I asked what his patients who lost more than this amount did differently than the average patient. He replied that the patients who lose more educate themselves well about the behaviors they need to incorporate into their lives to be successful with the band.

I failed to mention during the earlier post that I initially wanted the band before attending the information session. However, after my surgeon mentioned at the information session that the band doesn't generally work as well for those who have a "sweet tooth," I decided I should pursue gastric bypass. However, both of the times I met individually with the surgeon, he said he thought the band would be best for me, and I trust his professional judgment.

If you cant change your behavior the band will not work. Sweets will go right through the band. I have seen a rate of about 50 to 60% of patients losing to a normal BMI.

My surgeon said loss for a person of my size would be 40-60 lbs. I know I can lose more than that, since I've been able to lose 40lb in the past without help.

I think the surgeon's like to say the average expected because therefore they are not liable for false advertising if you don't lose the weight. You must remember that the statistics encompass ALL people who have been banded- from those who never lose any weight due to poor choices or not going back for followup care, to those who far exceed "normal" BMI.

the band isnt a magic wand... its a tool that must be coupled with a life style change. there are many ways to *trick* the band but not gastric by pass.

you have to be willing to work with the band... make healthy choices and put in the work required for the results desired. the band is 40% restriction and 60% you doing the work.

again it isnt a magic stick its a tool... how u use it.. is up to u.... the results will vary by the amt of effort you put into making you a healthier you.

My surgeon gave me a packet with all the different bariatric surgery choices. I then met with him and told him what I wanted. He also had an option of lap-band with gastric plication. I opted for just the band. He was very supportive of my choice and the reasons for it. I've had two fills and still feel like I could eat a horse. Now I do wish I had opted for the band with plication.

My surgeon gave me a packet with all the different bariatric surgery choices. I then met with him and told him what I wanted. He also had an option of lap-band with gastric plication. I opted for just the band. He was very supportive of my choice and the reasons for it. I've had two fills and still feel like I could eat a horse. Now I do wish I had opted for the band with plication.

You may find that restriction doesnt come till fill 4 or 5. 2 fills for a lot of us didnt make that much difference give it a chance .. you have this band now so make it work for u. Whatever u eat or how much just make sure its good healthy filling food that wont put on weight .. If i am hungry i fill up on green veg, Protein first ofc..

As for surgeons pushing the Bypass and Sleeve one has to look at how much they charge and whether their profit is greater, ofc in line with success rates .. lapband has a lot more aftercare than the other surgeries...I am still very glad i chose the least invasive surgery.. that to me was very important..

The statistics for the band is an average weight loss of 60% of excess weight. This generally includes those who lose more than 100% of their excess weight or more (like me), those who don't lose at all, and everything in between, whether from not doing what they need to to lose weight, or from band failure.

Gastric banding surgery still is the most performed WLS in Australia, and automatically covered by most insurance companies (in that you don't have to 'qualify' aside from having a BMI of over 35 with comorbs or a family history of obesity-related disease). This is because, a lot of the time, it works to reduce weight enough to get the patient to the point of being less at risk of obesity related disease. Does it get them to a normal BMI? Not always. Can it? Sure! How much you lose, if you're working your band, and your band is working, is up to you.

Unfortunatley, I am convinced there are people who will never be successful with the band, and it is NOT the band's fault.

I read posts everyday from people who on one hand wnat to loose weight and be skinny, and then on the other hand do not want to change their old lifestyles.

You have to let go!! Otherwise you will alsways remain the same as before.

Thank you all for your comments.

I am going to complete the paperwork given to me and schedule an appointment to speak with the Dr. about the band.

I spent the majority of the night searching between the three different surgeries that were discussed last night, and as some of you mentioned, it seems that the band is "talked down" due to the success rate.

It seems as though the success rate is hugely due to the determination of the patient. With the sleeve or gastric, what you eat goes out. With the band, what you eat has reprecussions. Being able to "trick" the band is a scary thought, but also holds me accountable.

I NEED/WANT to be held accountable. I don't want something to magically do the work FOR me, but WITH me instead.

Does that make sense?

Again, thank you all for your words of wisdom.

-Jen

My only comment is which one has the lowest mortality rate... Be informed and careful and what ever you decide you can do this!

Thanks for the support. I'm going to make an appointment with both my first and second choice surgeons and see what they have to say. I'm not going to "settle" for a surgeon who gives me 'bad-vibes' just because he has an open appointment book. (There's probably a reason for that!)

Keeping my fingers crossed that things go smoothly from here out.

When I had my initial consultation, they said that average lap band patient loses 50-60% of their excess weight. When I had my first fill this past Monday I had already lost 17% of my excess weight in about 7 weeks (including the pre-op diet). I told them that I had not done this to be average, I was going to be way above average.

I think it's about motivation, and as B-52 says- letting go of the old stuff that kept me fat. I am bound and determined to make this work, to lose the weight and to keep it off!!