Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Baby after lap band, a few questions

First of all Thankyou in advance for any thoughts..... second I do not type much and am not great with writing skills so bare with me....

A little history, banded in May 2005, lost about 50 pounds things were going well and then found out baby #3 on the way due 7/1/06. I had had one fill of two cc's (I believe I go up to four). This would be my question to you...I seem to be able to eat as much as I want, is this how it is after your first fill (fill done in July 2005)? I realize that being pregnant I do not want to worry about weight loss, but I do wonder with only 2 cc's left to tighten down and no restriction now will I be able to get back on track?

Hi Jan,

I wouldn't worry about it too much - there are many people with more than 2cc's in their 4cc band. For some reason (evaporation? leak? aliens?) it seems that fills can disappear after a while, so you may not have as much in there as you think.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! :)

:welcome2: Hi Jan ~

2 cc's is a decent level of restriction. Ive heard that band surgeons request that preg. bandsters get a total unfill ~ till everything's over.

Id be a little leary of doing that myself.

Congratulations on baby #3. Everyone says (myself included) that the 3rd is the biggest blessing. :confused: I agree!

Hi Jan,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Most people do have to have more than one fill to find their sweet spot. Also, each person is different, so 2ccs to one may have more or less restriction that 2ccs in another person. Of course, don't worry about that now with your pregnancy and all. I too am expecting a little one, due 7/4/06. I dropped 75lbs after band surgery and when I found out that I'm pregnant I had some saline removed from the band just in case. I don't really have restriction, but I cannot eat as much as I could pre-band. I guess my stomach has shrunk over the past year.

Do you know if you're having a boy or a girl?

when my wife had our little girl they the doctors and nurses all agreed that she needed a slight unfill to get her calories up around 1800 - 1900 a day.

she has the large band and was at 7.5cc and unfilled to 6.cc. . shes now back up to 7.75 cc.

and we have a very healthy little girl.

just let your doctor know what you can eat during the day and they'll tell you if you need more nutrition or if your good where your at.

im not a doc but it sounds like your most likely getting enough.

good luck to you.

the Big Dog.

Thanks all for the response, I feel a bit better. Maysa this will be boy number three for us. My oldest turns 4 this March. My second is almost 1.5 yrs. I feel like I have been pregnant for 5 years straight.

Hi JanW....Welcome to LBT!! I am new and can't answer your questions b/c I don't have the band yet (pending ins), but I would like to follow your developments. We plan to have more children after the band, so I want to learn from others that have gone b4.

Bless you heart....the mother of 3 boys is to be commended...well any mother really. I have 2 boys ages 4 yrs & 3 yrs. They are 16 mos apart. I just know we will probably have another boy b/c of this curse my mother put on me growing up. I had 3 brothers and no sisters and hated boys!! God has a sense of humor that's for sure.

I do want to wish you all the best with this pregnancy. :preggers: I can't advise you to get plenty of rest b/c I know that next to impossible. Regardless, take care and keep us posted on how your doing.