Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking Out. Long Term Complication...cancer?!

I have been so excited about my upcoming surgery (Jan 30) until I recently read about a possible long term complication: esophageal cancer. I am going through this surgery to avoid obesity-related complications, such and cancer. So imagine my surprise when I discovered this was a possible issue, as a result of continued acid reflux/GERD.

My question is, does anyone know how common this is? The person I read about had no symptoms of reflux. I would like to think it would be as easy as taking a daily acid control medication, but I have heard this isn't good either.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? How will I know its happening/or not happening?

I can deal with fills and appointments, pb-ing and sliming. All this I was aware of a prepared for, but this is the first complication I have heard of that has really made me doubt this decision.

I'm not aware of anyone here, contracting esophageal cancer from band surgery. You can read all manner of

complications from any form of WLS, but statistically, band surgery is the safest form of it. The bands have undergone

a number of revisions in the past few years, and band complications have become relatively few. I think the dangers

of being overweight are far greater than those from any form of WLS.

Most of your questions would be better answered by your surgeon and if you don't trust him, maybe you should see

someone else.

My band surgery has been completely trouble free, as far as I'm concerned, been a complete success. I've lost

about 20lbs a month with no fills or complications of any type.

I think you're having last minute jitters, which is perfectly normal, we've all had them, but this will be an easy surgery

for you, just don't forget your slippers and PJs. Good luck.

That's the problem with possible complication lists...they list things that are so unlikely to happen. If you read any medication possible complication list you would never take another med. Take it from people who have been there - and don't worry about esophageal CA - worry about diabetes, HTN, stroke, and heart disease from obesity!

Thanks guys, this is what I have always told myself--the benefits of the band outweigh the risks. And I have been pretty good at sticking to that until i saw the cancer post. I am scared to death of cancer, I guess that fear comes from watching both of my grandfathers suffer through it. One grandfather died at 72 from bladder cancer, before I even graduated from high school, and my other grandfather also died at 72 after an 18 month battle with pancreatic cancer--probably as a direct result of him being overweight. I'm not saying I'm the only person that has ever seen someone suffer from cancer, but it has really affected me.

I do trust my Dr, although I haven't actually met him yet. My appts have been with the RN and NP that work with him, who have been great. I have heard great things about him. I just turned 25 and have a lot of life ahead, I believe I am making the right decision, its just scary. I think you may be right, Corrigan, last minute jitters.

i have enough cancer in my family tree to kill a horse, i am the only one in my immediate family who HASN"T had cancer, and i also have it on both grandparents. one reason i got banded was the higher your bmi is tends to increase your cancer risk. also, if i did get cancer i wanted to be strong and healthy enough to fight it. i was just recently banded but am on my way to a healthier me. lapband is my choice for all the right reasons. best of luck to you .

Looking at the articles below, as obese people we are at increased risk of cancer..including cancer of the esophagus, as we are more prone to reflux.

http://drphil.com/articles/article/149

Dr. Bruner cites research showing that men with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater — 100 plus pounds over their ideal body weight — have a 52 percent higher death rate for cancer. Women whose BMI is 40 or more have a 62 percent higher death rate. For both sexes, being overweight carries a greater risk of developing several types of cancer, including esophagus, colon, rectum, liver, gallbladder, pancreas and kidney.

http://www.obesityac...tyandcancer.php

How Does Obesity Affect Cancer?

Perhaps one of the most comprehensive studies of the cancer risk faced by the obese comes from the American Cancer Society.¹ Nearly 900,000 men and women were enrolled cancer-free in 1982, and then they were followed for 16 years. Compared to normal weight subjects, men with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 40 were found to have a 52 percent increase in risk of losing life from cancer. A 62 percent increase in risk of death from cancer was found in women with similarly high BMI.

For both sexes, cancer deaths from esophagus, colon, rectum, liver, pancreas and kidney were increased. Hodgkin’s lymphoma and multiple myeloma also took a toll on obese men and women. Specific to men were increased deaths from prostate and stomach cancers, and specific to women, deaths from uterus, breast and ovarian cancers were noted.

Stepping back for a broader overview, the same investigators estimated that obese men accounted for 14 percent of all cancer deaths in males and that obese women accounted for 20 percent of all cancer deaths in females. Observing that only 6-8 percent of the population is severely obese to this degree, it is clear that obesity is at least related to an increased risk and that it may also be the cause of these cancers.

Cancer of the Esophagus

When acid from the stomach frequently washes back up into the esophagus, the condition known as reflux esophagitis can occur. This is a common problem for those who are obese, occurring more than twice as often as normal weight patients.

Not surprisingly, cancer of the esophagus is also known as an obesity-related disease probably because the chronic irritation which produces changes in the esophageal lining, known as Barrett’s esophagitis, can progress to cancer.

While recent reports of curing patients of this problem by radiofrequency ablation (image-guided technique designed to kill cancer cells by heating and destroying them) before it progresses to cancer are promising, the acid reflux must stop to prevent recurrence.

Bariatric surgery procedures have great success in reducing weight, which will frequently relieve symptoms. Gastric bypass is a weight-loss procedure that has a clear benefit of relieving the acid reflux in the great majority of patients. Symptomatic relief is also noted in as many as 90 percent of patients with an adjustable gastric band, another type of weight-loss surgery procedure. This relief comes soon after the procedures, even before the patients lose weight. Perhaps this will translate into a lower incidence of esophageal cancer as well.

i have enough cancer in my family tree to kill a horse, i am the only one in my immediate family who HASN"T had cancer, and i also have it on both grandparents. one reason i got banded was the higher your bmi is tends to increase your cancer risk. also, if i did get cancer i wanted to be strong and healthy enough to fight it. i was just recently banded but am on my way to a healthier me. lapband is my choice for all the right reasons. best of luck to you .

enough to kill a HORSE, huh? no pun intended, i'm sure...LOL.

Thanks for your research, Denise. That Dr Phil article is very interesting! Here are a few points from it I found extremely helpful and encouraging:

"men with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater — 100 plus pounds over their ideal body weight — have a 52 percent higher death rate for cancer. Women whose BMI is 40 or more have a 62 percent higher death rate."

THATS FREAKIN SCARY!!!!!!

Encouraging was the things that are recommended for good health:

• Drinking at least 64 ounces of Water daily.
  • Limiting or avoiding processed foods.
  • Limiting white sugar, white flour and simple carbohydrates.
  • Consuming as many organically grown and hormone-free foods as possible.
  • Taking a multi-Vitamin containing antioxidants, preferably one free of yeast, dyes, sugar, dairy, soy, corn or gluten.

Now, we are ALL aware that these things are what helps you become (and stay) healthy. But, these are the things our band will HELP and PUSH us to do. I feel much better, I love this forum. You guys are awesome!!!