Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Surgery Bandsters Group

Hi everyone! I'm having surgery on January 10th and created a group in the groups section "January 2012 bandsters". Would love to get some discussions, support going.

Hello! I am a January 2012 Bandster!! scheduled for 1/4/2012. I am on my 2 week limited diet and it really sucks to be going through it during the holidays. I actually had to stay in my room during most meals, I didn't trust myself. I hope the cravings go away soon, I don't want to mess this up. Any suggestions anyone??

I keep seeing everyone talking about the two week pre surgery diet. I thought I would be on one as well, but my surgeon does not make lap bands do that? I was kind of surprised. Now I'm not going crazy or anything and actually plan on starting high protein/liquid three days prior to surgery. What is their reasoning behind the two weeks?

Also, you can "join" the January 2012 group when you click on the Groups tag and actually join there.

I hope I might be able to join your group. I'll meet with the surgeon next Friday and since I'm self pay, I'm hoping for a quick surgery date! I will hop on over to your thread as soon as I find out if I might be getting it done in January. smile.png

The pre-op liquid diet is something some doctors ask their patients to do to help shrink the liver to help aid with the ease of putting in the lapband. I've noticed not every doctor requires it. My sister is a doctor and she said it's a good idea., so even if my doctor doesn't require it, I think I will probably do 2-3 days liquid prior to the banding.

Hi, I'm scheduled for January 6th for the band with plication or iBand. I was supposed to start my liquid diet today but I have family that's staying with me until Monday and I find impossible to try to be on the diet now. Plus my PCP mentioned to me today that she thought that it would only be a 3 day liquid diet so I figure if I at least do that I should be ok

Hi, I am a January 2012 Bandster!! scheduled for 1/4/2012 for my lap band with Gastric Plication. I so ready to do this, but in my two week liquid diet it been so hard speacially that my mind keep telling me to eat everything, I've been strong thanks God.

The main reason for the the Low carb, low Protein and not Fat liquit diet iis for reduce the size of the liver and reduce the amount of fat we all have between organs. A friend of mine had her gastric bypass abroad and she had complication due to a huge liver with the doctor had to cut a piece of the liver in order to get her surgery done. now she has brown spots in in her face that make her unhappy.

I've been doing the magic Soup, cabage Soup.< /span>

good luck

Hello everyone....My surgery is scheduled for 1/9 and I couldn't be happier! I am on my 4th day of my 14 day pre op liquid diet, and I am about to go crazy. I am very jealous of everyone that has only a few days of the liquid diet....lol I look forward to following all of you and your progress....good luck!

welcome and good luck. My sister had bypass and didn't have to do two week diet. Lots of lap bands do. I had a hard time starting, and re starting the liquid diet the next day. I cheaped a bit in the first 3 days= wasn't all liquid had two real meals, then felt sick after. I lost 20 pounds pre surgery! in those two weeks. I think that's the ticket right there. It gives up that mental boost-see the weigh come off and also make surgery easier and safer. But it also gets you ready for what you going have to do post op. It like a test drive, if can make it through the pre op diet you are gold're en for the first two week post op. It not as big a shock to your healing body. That's my thought on it. A few more days and you are there! You going to do great. Happy New Year and Happy New You.

Suzi

Surgery in 5 days!!!

So here is my 2 wk diet:

2 shakes a day any time

3 meals lasting no longer than 20 min that include one of each area

Area 1 sugar free yogurt or nonfat ricotta cheese or nonfat cottage cheese

Area 2 tuna in Water or salmon or skinless turkey/chicken

Area 3 raw or steamed non-starch veggies

Condiments allowed were ketchup relish or mustard

The day before surgery is shakes, Water, broth

I have been able to make it through almost all family lunches and dinners through the holidays by just eating the meet and veggie for dinner & lunch I eat deli meat rolled up and a veggie. I tried drinking my shake while they ate waffles for bfast but ended up in my room the smell was too good. And since my mother inlaw cooked bfast every morning I choose to drink in my room to avoid temptation. I did fall off the wagon when fresh pizza was brought home I at a small slice of cheese.

The smells are what is the worst for me. Even when I'm not hungry the smells make my stomach ache. So I will go for a walk and get way from the smells!

I've lost 6lbs since I started the diet on 12/20

Nicole that is awesome! Ultimately after surgery that is what we will be doing anyway. Its kind of what Suzi said, a test run. I'm going to steel that. Today I've done really well. I had an HMR (similar to medi-fast) chocolate Protein Drink. I added a instant coffee packet to make it a chilled coffeemocha and plan on doing that after my surgery just with Decaf. I've known from the get go that my struggle will be not drinking 30min. after eating. My family calls me a camel because the waitress normally just leaves the tea pitcher! So with that said, I've really been practicing that to get into the habit and so far so good. I just boiled two eggs and had those for lunch. We will see what the rest of the night brings. I'm sure there will be snacking at the party we are going to but I will just bring my water bottle with me and keep filling up on Water as much as possible, but I'm NOT going to beat myself up if I do induldge a little. Happy 2012!

I totally forgot about the no drinking while eating. I am horrible about that I have at least 2 glasses of Water with dinner. I will start working on that right now!! Thanks for the reminder!! Happy New Year!!

Hello fellow January Bandsters! My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 5th!!! I have been on a liquid diet through Christmas and New years and now that the holidays are over hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here. I've lost 14 lbs that I will never see again. The liquid diet started out hard then got easy and now it's gotten hard again but I have been strong. I agree with one of the previous postings that it is the smell of food that gets to me even if I am not hungry. I also have to leave the room to avoid the smells. I have been drinking a lot of Muscle Milk Light and great tasting shakes from GNC called Lean shake. They have 170 calories and 25 grams of Protein. Once a day I also have a low fat strained Soup or some chicken broth and plenty of SF popsicles. Good luck everyone!!

Thats awesome to be 14 lbs down before surgery! Its really sinking in that this is Really happening. I think my biggest fear is slippage and having to do things all over.

I'm a January Bandster as well.........my surgery is scheduled for friday....wow......so close. Was supposed to start the pre-op diet on 23rd...but waited til the 26th. Have lost 7lbs so far. Good luck everyone!!

Hello everyone....My surgery is scheduled for 1/9 and I couldn't be happier! I am on my 4th day of my 14 day pre op liquid diet, and I am about to go crazy. I am very jealous of everyone that has only a few days of the liquid diet....lol I look forward to following all of you and your progress....good luck!

Hi Amee Rae!

My lapband surgery is 1/9 also. Are you getting nervous? I was thinking today will be the last Monday pre lapband because this time next week, I will be banded! Totally ready for this. You will have to keep in contact.

See you soon on the other side,

Kemisha