Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Surgery Bandsters Group

Hello! So I was banned on the 4th and it is now the 7th and I am off the pain pills. I take Tylenol every once in a while due to my stomach being sore. I have not vomited and the gas pain has been minimal. I am having a hard time getting all of my required fluids down and get all of the walking in. I plan to get up at a reasonable hour tomorrow, giving me more time in the day to get the fluids down and the 3 10 min walks completed. So far I have gotten the Water down and about 60 grams Protein and 2 10 minute walks. Of course I still have the stomach jiggle making the incision areas hurt when I walk, I feel like wrapping myself in an ace bandage to lesson the jiggle! lol!! Part of me just wants to use the excuse I had surgery to avoid walking, but I know I feel well enough, just lazy. I need to find a new motivator, any ideas???

I had surgery on Jan 3. Just ran out of pain pills so I'm on my own. I haven't started exercising yet, but am getting some walking in. I have to go to the store to get some milk of magnesia, if you get my drift. I feel ok, but looking forward to continued healing. Having trouble getting all my liquids in as well. My goal for today is to get all 4 shakes in and 64 oz of Water. Glad to see everyone doing well.

Having lap band surgery tomorrow, January 10. Did one week of fasting and was hard at first, many mixed emotions, but am mentally prepared for this and feel much lighter. Am actually forcing myself to having Protein Drinks because I don't really feel hungry. Looking forward to getting off my meds for high cholesterol and triglycerides and hopefully, my stomach medication for reflux. Also have a hiatal hernia and that causes me so much pain all the time - doctor said he can fix that.

Nicole- with the walking and motivation... I think my motavation has been that it will make me feel better sooner, at least just being post-op. It sounds like you are doing great, keep up the good work.

I had surgery on Jan 3. Just ran out of pain pills so I'm on my own. I haven't started exercising yet, but am getting some walking in. I have to go to the store to get some milk of magnesia, if you get my drift. I feel ok, but looking forward to continued healing. Having trouble getting all my liquids in as well. My goal for today is to get all 4 shakes in and 64 oz of Water. Glad to see everyone doing well.

Wow, 4 shankes and 64 oz of Water, you are the woman! I have been getting 2 shakes, some broth, and 50-60 oz of water down. I am acutally starting to feel hungery, which I am not too happy about. It was nice not to feel hungery so I wouldn't have any cravings. So far so good, I haven't strayed :) I have noticed that it is hard when preparing food for my kids not to snack, but that is one of the ways of how I got here, so hands off! I hope everyone is doing well!

Erica

Hi Ladies I was banded with the plication here in Houston on Tuesday 1/3/12. I have to say that I had an emergency csection a few years ago with our son and the csection was a cake walk compared to this surgery. I really wasn't prepared for how I would feel afterwards. I had my surgery at 6 am in Houston and was discharged at noon. I came out of anesthesia vomiting and in horrible pain...and I have a pretty high tolerance. We drove the 45 minutes home and I slept...then starting vomiting as soon as I got out of the car. I don't really remember getting out of bed much the next couple of days except to walk a lap around the house and go to the restroom. Thank GOD for my hubby...he took care of me and even called his boss to take off an extra day from work. To say he was wonderful is an understatement. He gave me my meds and food and took care of both of our kiddos and the house...school and all. Anyway, the 3rd and 4th was awful....I really had regrets. The 5th and the 6th was much better. I stopped taking all of my meds on the morning of the 6th, (but took them around the clock before that).

Yesterday morning I woke up feeling like a new person! Full of energy...we even made a shopping list and went and spent a couple of hours shopping at Walmart. Today, I feel a little drained so I logged on to see what everyone else is eating the second week. I was told to ONLY have broth, Water, gatorade, popsicles, and jello...all sugar free of course for the 1st week. I have been sticking to the diet like glue. And I have lost almost 12 pounds since the morning of my surgery....12 pounds in 5 days! My husband and I were talking about it and I was telling him how drained I feel today and he said "you haven't had ANY Protein or carbs". And then I see that you ladies are all having protein shakes....I was told specifically not to. But I'm considering having one now because I NEED energy.

Anyway, totally not trying to be a downer, I would have the surgery again for the results smile.png Good luck to all of you...I know everyone handles surgeries differently smile.png

I just had my surgery on 1/5/12! I am looking forward to the New Year & my new adventure! All the very best to everyone on your journey.

I would love to join the Jan bandsters group!!! I am JUST making being a Jan bandster with my date of Jan 30!

Ahealthiermom- I was told to make sure I start protien shakes three days post op. I also eat broth, cream of mushroom (blended and strained), and potatoe Soup (also blended and strained.)

I am 4 days post op and woke up this am feeling pretty good. I was able to sleep on my belly last night and slept awesome!!! I am still sore but haven't taken anything for pain in the past 12 hours. I have also lost 8lbs in the past 4 days, love it! It has been a great morning, except this is the first day I have to watch my two year old twins by myself. I am trying my best not to have to pick them up.

How is everyone else feeling? How are all the preop people doing?

Erica.

Hi there...I am hopeful I too can be a part of this group...as I am hoping for a call today to schedule my surgery at the end of January. I already have my two weeks of Protein Shakes purchased...so I am ready to go!

Ok so 5 days out & just when I thought it was going so well....the pain really came back. As a reminder yesterday I decided to down grade from OxyContin to just tylonel. So yesterday around noon I started having pain all around my right side ribcage, rt shoulder & rt neck. It hurt so bad!! It hurt to breath hurt to lay down or stretch. It was so hard to breath!! I went for a walk that made me nauseas. Tried sitting w/ heating pad but it hurt to breath. So I called the dr. She felt I just slept wrong & took myself off pain killers too soon. Not very helpful. So at 8pm after last shake. I was ready to go to the ER but decided to check the forum. It was a life saver. So 1st went off pain killers too soon 2nd I was drinking to much causing a lot of gas so added more gas x, next added heating pad & slept sitting up (wish I had a recliner!!) & pain meds every 4 hrs (set alarm). So I think I was sooo obsessed about getting all the Water & Protein in I wasn't paying attention to my fullness. Which caused gas & pain. So it is almost 10am & the pain is gone except a little in the shoulder. I am going to start back like it is day 1. But this time I am listening to my body!!!

I'm on day 8 of my 2-week pre-op diet, surgery is next Tuesday January 17th, I don't have to explain my excitement I'm sure you all know. So glad to hear everyone is doing well and/or have found strategies to help them feel better (I know I'll be on pain meds for a long time, I'm a wuss when it comes to pain). I'm doing pretty good on the pre-op diet down about 6 pounds so far. I'll admit my energy is a bit low right now..however that has done wonders for my long-time insomnia now I'm getting plenty sleep..so I guess the low energy could be looked at as a good thing. lol I like the Protein drinks and since I'm never been a big Breakfast eater until now I think they will become a permanent part in my post-op life to help balance my day.

Today is the 1st day of my 2 week pre-op diet! I can't believe I have made it this far! With every bite of egg and meat I am going to tell myself how yummy the future is and not focus on what I can't eat. I purposing in my heart to not complain and to be thankful for my approval and that I am on a new journey..

It's been exactly one week now, and I'm getting tired of the recovery mode. I'm feeling much better and not taking pain meds any more, but I still am healing. The next 2 weeks of not eating are going to be tough. I went to costco yesterday and bought several different kinds of Soup that I will thin with chicken broth and then strain. The sweet taste of the Protein Shakes is unapealing. I've only been getting 2-3 down each day (instead of the 4 I'm supposed to). I feel like my life is on hold right now. I've got to get out of that frame of mind and start living again. It will be easier the more recovered I feel.

I am scheduled for Jan 24th!!!!! woot woot! so excited!

I am 4 days post op for the lap-band. Not sore really and haven't taken anything for pain since Tuesday night. The only problem I have now is diarrhea - alot. I was just told to add Fiber to my Protein Shakes and drink regular sips of Gatorade. Was wondering if anyone else has or had this problem and what to do about it? Really looking forward to some real food or something with more consistency.