Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Enough Is Enough ......

I've gotten stuck a bunch of times. I am definitely in agreement that it helps remind me to slow down. I also follow my doctors rules but that does not mean you are not going to get stuck. There are certain things for me that I have trouble eating. I can not eat chicken breast. It is way too dry and even if I take tiny bites or eat super slowly it gets stuck. This is just me. eggs are the same way. I have to avoid them. Everyone is different. It also depends on how tight your band is. For me stress and hormones also play a roll in how tight my band is on a certain day. I also can not eat in the morning. I make a Protein Shake for Breakfast everyday. I guess I'm just saying that everyone's experience with the band is so different you never know what might make you stuck.

Speaking only for myself, I was THRILLED when it started to happen. BRING IT ON! I welcomed it. After all, I had surgery to STOP me from eating. So instead of dreading the restriction and getting stuck, I learned how to eat differently, and learned what foods to avoid.

I have been stuck more times that I can count, or remember. It was my school of hard knocks! I could have ran to the Dr. to get unfilled, but where would that have put me?

Instead I was careful like walking on eggshells until things began to change.

It has made all the difference in the world!

But then, That's just Me! Seems like everyone here does things differently.

Want to know how hard headed (stupid) I am???

Shortly after I posted this, I went in the fridge to find something for lunch.

A LEFTOVER PORK CHOP! W.T.H was I thinking!

Guess what? I GOT STUCK!!! Started to hiccup, (knew I was in trouble then), slime began building up, stood over the bathroom sink and with one good hiccup......up it came!

(I feel much better now)

LOL

Been there done that.

For those who have never been stuck think yourself lucky, just don't think it is because you are following your Dr's rules. Most of us do that and it doesn't stop stuck episodes. The foods that Dr's recommend are actually the ones that are more likely to cause problems than the unhealthy, fattening foods that shouldn't be eaten on a regular basis.

I have been stuck on chicken, fish, watermelon, Tomato, lettuce etc.

The mistake most people make is that when they get stuck on something they then cut it out of their diets and end up living on a very small range of food. I still eat everything regardless of if it has given me a problem before. Restriction is not about restricting the type of foods that you can eat, it is about feeling satisfied on smaller portions.

If Papaya works for you then again count yourself as being lucky. I have tried and it does nothing for me.Generally the best option when you are stuck is to try to bring the offending item back up - that will give you relief from the discomfort which could otherwise go on for hours. If I have a really bad stuck episode I suck on crushed ice, it helps to reduce the swelling and seems to speed things along.

Good luck with finding out what works for you.

yes chest pain and it makes me short of breath... whatever I am eating at that point the dogs get since either I am full or it is doesn't agree with my band.

I have gotten stuck a few times, and it is usually from trying to eat too fast. You start to figure out what you can process easily and what you can't. I cannot eat bread on its own, but I can tolerate it as a sandwich. chicken breast is the devil for me and so are scrambled eggs (boiled, poached, over-easy are all fine). Sometimes it doesn't matter how well you chew it or how slowly you eat it, some foods will just be trouble. I will always re-try foods that I have had trouble with in the past just to make sure I wasn't eating too fast. But yeah, the hiccups, the tightness, they are definite symptoms. I have never tried the papaya thing, but Water certainly does NOT work for me....jumping up and down doesn't either. I have just had to suffer a few long periods of time for it to pass, or been able to let it come back up (sometimes it won't). Fear of it happening should only make you eat carefully, but not limit the healthy ranges of foods we should be eating to get good nutrients into our bodies.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches