Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cabin fever, anyone?

This winter weather is really getting to me!! We've had three snow days already this year during which I'm housebound with two little kids. This is a PRIME munchout circumstance.

How do we entertain ourselves when we can't go out? There are only so many drawings to color, dolls to tear heads off of, and toy cars to trip over before someone has the bright idea to bake cupcakes (or brownies, or a cake, or something). By the time that's been suggested I'm ready for a margarita--but I don't drink so the baking commences.

Suggestions, please, on indoor activities that don't involve eating? :confused:

How funny for you to post about drinking when you normally don't. I am not a drinker, but the other night we went to eat at Texas Roadhouse and guess what ended up on my ticket...yep, a strawberry daiquiri and a watermelon margarita....Boy were they good. I guess stress really got to me this week; I was very easily agitated. Then guess what, mother nature came for a visit....explains the agitation. Are your kids old enough to play cards like UNO or Go Fish or any other games? Best of luck to you and if you do get a margarita take a drink for me and I will do the same!!!! Take Care...your bandtwin...

Hi Alexandra,

A fun activity that both you and the kids can enjoy are going through old photographs - not the ones in albums but the "second sets" or extras that are sitting in a drawer or grocery bag. We had a shopping bag full from the kids and grandkids when they were little, plus vacations and just miscellaneous events. What we did was make placemats out of them. For a template I use a salt container (but you can use anything) and draw circles around the main part of the photo. Overlap the edges as you carefully place them on a piece of ConTac paper. This is a little tricky until you get the hang of it. Usually I have four rows with six pictures in each row. When they are situated put a piece of clear ConTac paper over it, smooth out the bubbles, cut around the edges and you have wonderful placemats.

I coordinate activities for seniors, and they love doing this. When they come to the table they are "greeted" by their family members. This is especially good for Alzheimer's patients. This can also be done with greeting cards that are too nice to throw away.

Fighting with the sticky paper may drive you to drink, though. It takes a while to get it all coordinated but it is really a fun activity.

Lulu, that is a BRILLIANT idea! I literally have a shopping bag of pictures from my husband's single days--full of people we don't know anymore and he hardly knew in the first place--that will make great collage material.

Thanks for the great suggestion! We'll be trying that tomorrow. Yay!

Hi Alexandra,

How about making some home made "playdoh". It can be a cooking activity without the calories.

You can make lots of different colors and the kids can mold, cut and roll for hours and it keeps for weeks.

I'm sure you'd find a recipe on the internet.

Have fun

Janeen

www.parentcenter.com have a list of activities from indoor games, outdoor games,5 minute games ect..

You can log on free and I use the bullentin board

alot too.Good luck & have fun!

C