Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello friends :) i am 3 days post op and i have never experienced so much pain in all my life. Apparently the C02 they pump in you during surgery can cause some serious pain. I have an issue with pain killers, they make me sick to my stomach so I can only take the really weak stuff by mouth. I have tried moving around and what not but with these weak meds it makes it really hard. I am finally passing some of the gas today, but when it feels like i have to burp, i hiccup instead? is that normal?

also I would like to take a shower today, any suggestions on how to do this without irritating my incisions?

I promise, it gets MUCH better. I think things started to turn around for me about the 5th day after surgery, so you're getting there! I took the pain medicine to combat the pain, but it sounds like you can't do that, and that sucks. They say to walk, walk, walk, so force yourself.

Burping/hiccupping is exactly what I did for the first 5 days, and they HURT! Miserable. But it gets so much better. Try to distract yourself with TV and books, and remind yourself why you took this dramatic step. It also helped me to surf the internet and this website for success stories.

Good luck!

Hello friends :) i am 3 days post op and i have never experienced so much pain in all my life. Apparently the C02 they pump in you during surgery can cause some serious pain. I have an issue with pain killers, they make me sick to my stomach so I can only take the really weak stuff by mouth. I have tried moving around and what not but with these weak meds it makes it really hard. I am finally passing some of the gas today, but when it feels like i have to burp, i hiccup instead? is that normal?

also I would like to take a shower today, any suggestions on how to do this without irritating my incisions?

also, i keep getting rumbling in my stomach like im hungry, but it kinda hurts? I cant tell if im hungry or if its just the co2 gas moving around? i dont necessarily feel hungry. Ive been eating my usual broth, Jello and today i had an ensure to try to get some nutrition in me.

My stomach rumbled too. I figured it was complaining about what I'd done to it! LOL

also, i keep getting rumbling in my stomach like im hungry, but it kinda hurts? I cant tell if im hungry or if its just the co2 gas moving around? i dont necessarily feel hungry. Ive been eating my usual broth, Jello and today i had an ensure to try to get some nutrition in me.

Probably the Gas, and hunger combined.

You need to call your Doc's Office, and get some Meds. that work ! There is no reason for suffering with that.

Walking is the best thing. As you move, the Gas moves threw, and out the body. You will feel much better when it's gone...

But call your Dr......

Also,,, I taped Zip Lock Baggies over the incesions, when I showered.

Surgeon suggested it, and it worked.

Just make it fast, and prepare to dry the area quickly with a clean dry towel.

I have liquid roxicet that I take at night which helps me when i sleep, but it makes me pretty loopy. It is the only thing out of all the stuff we tried at the hospital that makes me the least sick. Husband also just came home with childrens tylenol and it TASTES AMAZING!? lol its goopy liquid grape but it tastes soooo gooood hahaha who knew? Anyway this stuff seems to take the edge off a little bit. I'm going to attempt to take a shower here in a couple hours and we will see how that goes!

Thank you for this reply..I was actually getting on here to post something about burping and how much it hurts and if that was normal. I too am 3 days post op!! I'm getting really tired of the Clear liquids tho... and my Protein shakes make me want to vomit! Chocholate milk is about the best thing I've had so far.. I figured I could use the extra calories since i can't get the Protein drinks down.

I promise, it gets MUCH better. I think things started to turn around for me about the 5th day after surgery, so you're getting there! I took the pain medicine to combat the pain, but it sounds like you can't do that, and that sucks. They say to walk, walk, walk, so force yourself.

Burping/hiccupping is exactly what I did for the first 5 days, and they HURT! Miserable. But it gets so much better. Try to distract yourself with TV and books, and remind yourself why you took this dramatic step. It also helped me to surf the internet and this website for success stories.

Good luck!

My surgeon said not to take any asprin products while healing,

you can take Tylenol or the pain killers you were given, but that's all

Any NSAIDs may cause damage to fresh stomach wounds.

I hope you're walking as much as you can. That relieves the gas as much as

anything, that and GasX strips.

You should probably stick to showers until your first post op appt.

I hope it goes a little easier for you, it really does get better.

Thank you for this reply..I was actually getting on here to post something about burping and how much it hurts and if that was normal. I too am 3 days post op!! I'm getting really tired of the Clear Liquids tho... and my Protein shakes make me want to vomit! Chocholate milk is about the best thing I've had so far.. I figured I could use the extra calories since i can't get the Protein drinks down.

Even before the band i am absolutely in love with Ensure shakes, but only the vanillla and strawberry ones. I highly recommend them!! I have been doing chicken broth, blue Jello, Water, apple juice and ensure. I do not feel hungry at all (at least i think i dont, too much goin on down there i think!) so i just take it easy :) but try those! and the apple juice i get is Simply Apple, it contains no Water and no concentrate, its just pure pressed apple juice and its amazing!

I enjoyed chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast when nothing else would go down...

Even before the band i am absolutely in love with Ensure shakes, but only the vanillla and strawberry ones. I highly recommend them!! I have been doing chicken broth, blue Jello, Water, apple juice and ensure. I do not feel hungry at all (at least i think i dont, too much goin on down there i think!) so i just take it easy :) but try those! and the apple juice i get is Simply Apple, it contains no Water and no concentrate, its just pure pressed apple juice and its amazing!

I am 15 days post op and had severe shoulder pain up until a few days ago. It was awful. It's too bad you can't take a pain killer. That's what I took my percocette for, not the incision pain. I only took 1-2 a day but it took the edge off. But... It WILL go away!

I was banded 10/17/11 and experienced very bad gas pains that first week, too. Maalox and walking helped me quite a bit. Also, I didn't have very much incision pain so I was able to press a pillow up against my belly, that helped a lot. For shakes, the only ones I like so far are the Attkins Advantage vanilla Shakes.. Good luck!

I was the same as you at day 3. Mess made me sick so I stopped taking them ans by day 5 or 6 I felt so much better. You will make it. :)

I am 3 years out from my surgery and still get horrible gas pains in my left shoulder. Sorry to tell you but certain side affects will creep in and out for the remainder of your life with the band (hence a lot of the fine print we don't read prior to surgery). I plan to have my band removed as soon as I can afford it because the pain has become unbearable. I have followed the rules by the book; chewing my food to nothing, small bites, no drinking with meals, band adjustment, even seeing a new doc. Nothing has helped. I DO find that laying on my left side with my upper body propped up does help me burp wonderfully and that will relieve some of the gas pain, but not all of it. I am living with what feels like a pinched nerve in my left shoulder everyday. It is misery. First I experienced Hair loss, then came the port pain which I still get from time to time. The left shoulder pain has never left me since my surgery. I see a masseuse, chiropractor, and even get accupuncture every month for the pain. I am saving up money to have the band removed because I paid money out of pocket to have it put in and it will cost me just as much to have it taken out. Would rather try good ol' diet and exercise then live like this any longer. My neighbor had the same surgery a year before me and has had no side affects like me other than productive burps (a bit of spit up from time to time), so it is different for everyone. Some folks really do benefit from this procedure, sadly I'm just not one of them. Good luck to all of you! I am hearing better things/results from the sleeve. Just FYI!

I am 5 days post op and have had those gas pains too. What really helped me was a heating pad on my shoulder for a while and then getting up and walking. Sometimes I put my hands over my head while I am walking and it would help a burp come out. I also used the gas x strips. It has gotten better every day. I still get them every time I eat or drink but not as bad as before. Good luck. Hopefully it will start getting better in the next couple of days.