Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana use with Lap Band

I thought I would post my story here in the hopes that this would keep someone from making the same mistake I did.

I had my surgery in February of this year. I didn't hit the 'sweet spot' until the second week of May. Since then I have lost about 55 pounds.

I am an occasional marijuana user. By occasional I mean that I will smoke whenever I want for one month out of the year. I do this because I am drug tested frequently for my job, but I have the summer off every year (no, I am not a teacher). In the past I would smoke during the month of June, then quit with a solid 2 months between me and my next drug test. Most literature about marijuana use states that 30 days is the maximum time for your body to process the detectable THC metabolites that are detected by urine tests if you are a chronic every-day user, and/or overweight. Because THC is stored in fat cells someone who is overweight may need extra time to get rid of the toxins. I left myself 2 months every year just to be sure, and I never had a problem with failing a drug test.

This year I took my test after abstaining from marijuana use for 8 weeks. I failed the test.

I can only assume that due to Lap Band and not being able to eat very much my metabolism has slowed down drastically and 8 weeks was no longer enough time for my body to get rid of the toxins. Another reason could be the fat loss was reintroducing the toxins stored in my fat back into my blood stream, although from the research I have done online that seems a little less likely. Either way, the result was the same. I failed my test, and now I am in danger of losing

my job.

I am still waiting to find out what my employers will ultimately do about this, but regardless what happens, I will never ever use marijuana or any other illegal drug again. I was stupid to do it in the first place, but years of getting away with it had made me complacent.

I hope this information will help someone else not have to go through what I am going through right now.

Wow am sorry to hear this. I hope all is well with your job. I will not judge you because who am to judge, but I can understand, were your coming from. Keep your head up and learn from this mistake I will take my own advice too.

I thought I would post my story here in the hopes that this would keep someone from making the same mistake I did.

I had my surgery in February of this year. I didn't hit the 'sweet spot' until the second week of May. Since then I have lost about 55 pounds.

I am an occasional marijuana user. By occasional I mean that I will smoke whenever I want for one month out of the year. I do this because I am drug tested frequently for my job, but I have the summer off every year (no, I am not a teacher). In the past I would smoke during the month of June, then quit with a solid 2 months between me and my next drug test. Most literature about marijuana use states that 30 days is the maximum time for your body to process the detectable THC metabolites that are detected by urine tests if you are a chronic every-day user, and/or overweight. Because THC is stored in fat cells someone who is overweight may need extra time to get rid of the toxins. I left myself 2 months every year just to be sure, and I never had a problem with failing a drug test.

This year I took my test after abstaining from marijuana use for 8 weeks. I failed the test.

I can only assume that due to Lap Band and not being able to eat very much my metabolism has slowed down drastically and 8 weeks was no longer enough time for my body to get rid of the toxins. Another reason could be the fat loss was reintroducing the toxins stored in my fat back into my blood stream, although from the research I have done online that seems a little less likely. Either way, the result was the same. I failed my test, and now I am in danger of losing

my job.

I am still waiting to find out what my employers will ultimately do about this, but regardless what happens, I will never ever use marijuana or any other illegal drug again. I was stupid to do it in the first place, but years of getting away with it had made me complacent.

I hope this information will help someone else not have to go through what I am going through right now.

GREAT POST THANK YOU!

Hey Nix. No judgement here my friend. I hope all turns out well with your job. Maybe they can send you to 'drug counseling', not that you need it but to make them feel better about it.

I want to thank you for the post. I certainly do not judge you. Smoking anything is just not my thing....My son was addicted to it. I don't know how he has held down jobs but he has just about lost everything. It has been very hard on our family. My husband smoked occasionally for years but never missed a day of work. He had a feeling I didn't like it but I never did say anything. But the day we brought our daughter home, he said he would never smoke it again for me and for her. And he hasn't.

Anyway, I wish you the best in your job. I hope they will work with you. I might add just one thing for others to see. At my Center of Excellence, they drug test and if you are positive for THC or anything else, it is a deal breaker. They do, however, make exceptions for chronic pain patients but you have to provide documentation.

Melinda

Also if you ever get hair tested, it stays in your hair until it gets cut out or loss. It's up to the employer how many months they go back. Mine goes back 3 months.

It is a hard non scale thing to learn. Sorry, abut the possible loss of your job. Another thing, people like us loosing weight need to realize, is that when we drink it hits us quicker than before. I went to a bar for the 1st time after loosing about 50-60 lbs, and had 1 drink, I could feel the effects enough to ask my son to take me home. Take care, and bless you. I hope that your job will be safe! Good luck Karen

I also get drug tested with my job. I am a process operator at an oil plant. We do tests to get hired then any time we have a work place accident. I have been lucky enough not to screw up... Fewf!! Not that I smoke pot more than once a year. I am too scared to lose my job. I do know that where I work, if you think you might fail you say b4 you get tested that you have a problem and they can not fire you. They send you for 3 months of detox and treatment with pay.... I will take treatment even if I don't really have a problem over losing my job!!!

Wow, Nix, thanks for sharing. An unexpected consequence of getting the band, I guess. I suppose it makes sense that eating less food would be slowing down the rate that stuff is processed through your body. Scary stuff! I hope you keep your job - like a previous poster said, maybe you can negotiate a compromise where you go to drug counselling or a program or something and get to keep your job? And of course they can keep testing you and since you're not going to be smoking any more, it won't be a problem.

Sorry to hear about your possible job loss. I hate drugs as they have destroyed most of my family. My brother started with pot and overdosed last Christmas and died. But I agree with the posts before mine, maybe they will be willing to let you get some therapy and keep your job. I believe God closes some doors before He opens others, maybe He has a new direction for you and a better job waiting. I will pray that He helps you. Thanks for being so honest I am sure it will help somebody. Please don't let what happen to my brother happen to you!

Also your weightloss is great!

Cheri

That completely sucks. Sorry for you & hope everything goes well.

Was it a urine test? All you have to do is drink massive amounts of Water and it will flush right out of your system in no time. Did you drink lots of fluids during that time? 8 weeks is a ridiculous amount of time to get rid of the thc. Ive seen people get tested within days of using and test negative just from drinking alot of water prior. Im talking like a least a gallon a day.

I've had my band for well over a year. I was drug tested while trying to get a new job. I had quit for a month beforehand, and I passed with no problems. I'm not an "occasional" smoker nor am i a "frequent" smoker, but there def was enough in my system that it would take awhile to pass through. Personally, I don't suggest smoking marijuana for anyone with a lap band, the cravings while high can cause you to get stuck and it's not worth that pain.

Drinking lots of Water does not flush the thc out of your system. What it does if you drink lots of water before the test. The test will come back inconclusive.