Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery soon, stay at home mommy, very little recovery time . . . . I'm freaking out!

I am having the Lap-Band on 10/21 and although I am not worried about having the surgery, I am a mess about the recovery! I have four kiddos (3 are 5yrs and under) and I really only have three days with help after the surgery. My hubby is amazing and will be great on the those days and when he gets home from work after that, but my family lives far away and can't come in town to help. I do have inlaws that live close, but they are very opposed to WLS and will not be helping me. I have typically recovered well from surgeries, but being mommy on day 4 after this surgery seems like a stretch!

Anyway, I was hoping to hear from some mommies who have been through the surgery and what it's like with the kids at home! When did you feel back to normal?

I have 5 kiddos and have a lot of the same worries. I am going to have a lot of quick make foods on hand so that feeding kiddos will be easier and making sure that everything that needs to be done is done the day before I go in so that it hopefully will be a bit easier keeping up with housework after. I am hoping that my husband will take care of things like vacuuming and such when he gets home on the days it needs done so that I can just deal with the light housekeeping. Do you have a church or friends in the area that may be willing to drop in and help out a little?

I do have a great church and a really sweet mommies group, but I am not really ready to come "out" about this. Unfortunately, the few friends I've shared with have been less than excited for me. Bummer! My best friend (she is very excited for me) is an ICU nurse, going through a nasty divorce and has three kids of her own. She is so amazing and will do what she can, but can't I expect anything from her. I have been cleaning and organizing like a crazy person, my hubby says I'm nesting! tongue.gif I didn't even think about meals?! I start my pre-op diet Sunday, so I've been focused about that. I may do a cooking day on Saturday and stock my freezer. I just keep thinking about the toddler who wants to be held all the time. Or the three year old that has officially entered a tantrum stage!

Lots of movies and if there is a possibility of maybe a new interesting toy? That is how I survived births when my hubby was deployed. I had a huge basket of books right in the family room to have "snuggle" time and read that helped keep them from being rowdy when they were next to me, and I bought a couple of special toys that they only got when I really needed them to be focused on something other than me. Most kiddos get a sense that mommy isnt feeling all that well and may be willing to tone it down for a couple of days. Could you possibly tell a couple of friend that you had a minor procedure done that you would rather not talk about but that you would appreciate if they may be able to help? They dont need to know details. I have heard a lot of people say they are feeling more like themselves around day 5 so hopefully things will be better around the time your husband has to go back to work. Feel free to email me or message me if you want to chat more!

Oh, yeah,. we are nesting right? we are bringing home a new little "bundle of joy" but it is ours only and we dont have to share it! :-)

I have a three year old and it's been a bit difficult because he doesn't understand why I can't pick him up and hold him. I showed him my 'boo boos' and told him I can't hold/pick him up until my boo boos are gone. He constantly has to check to make sure they're still there. tongue.gif We've watched a lot of movies since Tuesday...I'm not a big fan of sitting him in front of the TV but I need it right now to recover. My parents have been around a lot to help too. I keep books within arms reach to...actually I keep them right on the bed or the couch so I don't have to move too much. I make sure to nap when he is...just had a 2 hour nap and I feel great!

I've really been amazed at how much he has been 'helping'. He normally is one to throw a fit when it's time to pick up toys but all week he's been very good about it. Sure, I have to tell him a lot that I have boo boos but whatever helps me right?

I could have written your post. I have arranged for my cousin to come and stay here with me everyday. She homeschools so she's just going to do her stuff here. I just need some help with picking the kiddos up and being more active with them. I hope you can find someone like that!

I have an eighteen-month old and was banded on July 6. By the end of three days, I was able to change her diaper (albeit slowly, and on the floor rather than her changing table!). I couldn't pick her up until the end of the first week, but I could take her hand and lead her around and do all the regular basic things that needed doing. I just moved slowly and was careful. I think you'll be fine.

Hi there. I had my surgery last year when my son was 9 months. The recovery was much more painful and difficult than I anticipated, and I can't even imagine having four children to run after.

I don't know whether your in-laws have been told about your upcoming surgery, but having their help would probably be a good idea. You can always say you had to go in for a different type of surgery. I haven't told anyone about my surgery other than my husband and I'm very happy about that. A friend helped me out at home for a week and I simply told him I had my gallbladder removed.

Your surgery might go wonderfully with you feeling fine three days out, but definitely prepare to have some help if you need it. I only had one baby and it was tough for a good two weeks. At the very least, have some options should you need more support.

I wish you the best!