Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This Is A Wake Up Call!

I think this was primarily for the people who I have observed stating things like: I'm not losing!

They then follow up by realing of burgers, pizza, chocolate etc.

I think we all accept the mental issues involved here, but it pulls at the heart strings to see people in pain, and this is posted because its no bad thing to say "I can see why you are hurting, now please, stop hurting yourself".

Isn't it caring to cry out when you see people harming themselves and you want to say "stop it"?

If I screwed up bad, and I told people, I would expect the ones who love me to say "You've got to stop doing that, it hurts me when you hurt yourself".

"I say give u a few weeks"?

I say, may we all succeed and not harm ourselves.

That quote almost smacks of wishing ill on someone. I've already hurt one person in this thread,

The original post was stated as a cry from the heart for the people in suffering.

Can we not just accept that?

It was me that ate the cheeseburger. It was one of those situations where the kids were starving, Doug and I were starving, it was dinner time and we still had a 2 hour drive ahead of us to get home. I think I made a better choice than a quarterpounder, large fries and a coke. I aimed to do the least damage calorie wise as I could. I ate yogurt for Breakfast and a salad for lunch that day and that was all. I think a cheeseburger and fries as a once in say 3 months thing is not a problem at all.

I just ate a chocolate biscuit too! But I only ate one. That is a huge victory, not a failure.

Boy I'm getting a little tired of how personal people are taking things around here....haven't we got better things to spend our time and energy on?

It was me that ate the cheeseburger.

I think a cheeseburger and fries as a once in say 3 months thing is not a problem at all.

I just ate a chocolate biscuit too! But I only ate one. That is a huge victory, not a failure.

*chuckles* I wasn't looking at names, it was meant to be generic examples you goober. *hugs*

And someday I hope I reach a point where I can handle a splurge, right now I fear it.. not only because of the PBs but because of this endless fight against the addiction I have.

I know what you mean about the victory! I stuffed a big ole spanish olive in my mouth today AS I was preparing my tuna lunch. As I was chewing it, I realized this was just a habit of mine - grazing while doing food prep. I spit out the chewed up thing, not because I'm a "perfect bandster" but because I realized I didn't even want it and I was falling for the same old decietful crap that got me fat in the first place.

I know at times I am my own worse enemy.

I know at times I am my own worse enemy.

Human nature is a horrible thing. Not only do we have the ability to be horribly mean to others, we particularly skilled at being mean to ourselves.

I can destroy the smallest victory I have in a heartbeat. I think my best today was:

"Cool, I've lost four inches in my waist!" followed two seconds later by my wonderful brain saying "great, now your just a really fat bastard, instead of an obese fat bastard".

The cry is often "When will we ever learn to get along?". Probably about the same time we learn to get along with ourselves.

Oh, and probably shortly after we learn to govern our mouth (or in this case, fingers) so that whatever spews out of our brain doesn't immediately splatter onto everyone's screen.

My, that was a right purty way of putting that, even if I do say so myself.

Oh, and probably shortly after we learn to govern our mouth (or in this case, fingers) so that whatever spews out of our brain doesn't immediately splatter onto everyone's screen.

Like he said, Human nature is a horrible thing and since we are all humans (with perhaps a couple of exceptions *snickers*) I guess this might take a while to achieve. So....

*passes out glass cleaner and paper towels to everyone*

Boy, everyday I am reminded why I love to run to my computer to pull up LBT every chance I get. It is so nice to know that others share my feelings & fears about the band and eating.

I am pre-band, but this thread is part of a real fear for me b/c I ask myself how I'm going to change those bad habits. As recent as last year, I learned that bad habits are never broken, they are just replaced with new ones. I practiced this concept for a period of time and then fell back into my old ways. The band is not going to change my bad habits.....I have to do that. I know that I can, but it won't happen overnight.

I am convinced that it is a process that is very unique for each individual. That is why opinions vary so greatly on such topics and that is a GREAT thing. We can all learn from listening and really hearing what someone else is saying. We don't have to agree, but there is something to be learned.

For example, I know that I will have chocolate after the band. I am a person that will REBEL if someone tells me that I can't have something (within reason of course). Now what does that mean to me personally? I have found that sucking a ONE hersey kiss a week will satisfy my need for chocolate. I know I can live with that. For some people, that is a deal breaker and puts them over the edge. We are each very unique and we should always embrace that....which I think that is something that makes this a great site. You find all types of people from all walks of life brought together by a beautiful thing called a "lapband". :clap2:

Now.....if I can just put some of these things into action, I'll be set to be a happy healthy mommy in a size 10!! :nervous

It was me that ate the cheeseburger. It was one of those situations where the kids were starving, Doug and I were starving, it was dinner time and we still had a 2 hour drive ahead of us to get home. I think I made a better choice than a quarterpounder, large fries and a coke. I aimed to do the least damage calorie wise as I could. I ate yogurt for Breakfast and a salad for lunch that day and that was all. I think a cheeseburger and fries as a once in say 3 months thing is not a problem at all.

Jacqui......well i was the one who ate the 3 slices of pizza.....and before my band i wouldv eaten a whole pizza.....so to me this is good.....

and other ppl have to realise that i dont eat this everyday .......i actually hardly eat through the day at all.....and when i do have something some person has to start this thread up.

seriously i dont understand and like i have already said PHOTONUT you are only a month out i never ate pizza on a month afetr surgery. I wasnt hungry but it will happen at some stage.

Jacqui you are doing great with your weight loss...keep up the great work:clap2:

I was great at the start too, 10 mths out I feel myself eating too much of things That I shouldnt. I KNOW thats why my weight loss is slow, I know if I exercised it would come off quicker but do I do it...NO I am too lazy or tired or busy or whatever the excuse is for that day.

I know when I was first banded I would see posts about people eating this and that and I thought I cant imagine eating like that again...then the fill wore off and I could eat like that again and I did. Until I had good restriction I didnt feel anything stopping me from eating those things, not even myself. I take the blame and full resposibility.

Beofre this op we would have take away 2 or 3 times a week, now we have it 2 times a month. We had ice creams and Desserts nearly every night...not anymore. I think I have made major changes since banding but I still have a long way to go.

Perhaps my problem here is that I was expecting the same attitude from others who have chosen WLS.

:pound: Saying this kindly, it is a no-win situation if you expect everyone to have the same attitude that you have. Obviously. :eek:

Photo, my approach to WLS was that I wanted a tool to help me get control of my weight for the rest of my life. This is, to me, in direct opposition to the idea of doing it overnight. Yes, habits and behaviors would have to change, but if it were easy to change habits I wouldn't have needed WLR. It's one of the primary reasons I chose the band--the time it would give me to help get used to my new reality. The other is that it would keep me honest through the really hard times...long after the excitement and novelty have worn off.

Through the first fill I was eating almost normally, which helped me get through the first set of holidays feeling like a normal person. It wasn't until after the second fill, almost 6 months after surgery, that the band started doing its work in me in earnest. And I'd lost about 40 lbs already by that point, so no complaints.

The band isn't the same as RNY, and that's the beauty of it. We can take the time we need to really assimilate the changes we need to make, and choose those we can really live with. Personally, as I've said before, a world without ice cream is not a world in which I want to live. And thankfully, I don't have to!

Everyone has different demons and different goals. The only commonality on LBT is that in one way or another everyone here has a relationship with a band. And we're ALL eating less than we were before we got here. :whoo: :rockon:

i have to be honest here... before the band (and in my mind now) i had a serious problem with food. i ate too much. i ate the wrong things often enough to have a serious effect on me, etc. i know me, i know how i think, and i knew before i got the band that i would not be able to restrict myself to a certain set of foods, or to eliminate whole categories or all my favorite sins (foods we all know are crap, but you know, they are soooo good going in).

i am one of those bandsters that is going through my daily routine and eating similar foods as to what i ate before the band, just not in the same AMOUNT as before. not even close. it is a ridiculous reduction from before, so much so, that when i have gone out to dinner/lunch with friends, i feel like i'm not getting my money's worth, not even CLOSE and it pisses me off that I'm paying $15 for a lunch that i'll eat maybe $2.00 of...

i didn't eat the "bad" foods everyday before the band, but if/when i did, i certainly ate too much. (and i don't say that any food is truly bad, but we all know what that means for us.) now this doesn't go without saying that there are a handful of foods that have given me trouble (stuckage, pressure, serious discomfort). however, i am working the band and it's working me in that i have had such a measured reduction in the amount of food going into my mouth/stomache, this is really working. i know i will and have had my ups and downs. we all will. i just know that i want most of my days to be ups, i don't want to obsess completely about food anymore (like i did before the band), i want to be happy, less of me, and feel good about me both physically and mentally.

here's hoping we can all find our own ways to do this... work the band and help the band work us. i know i'm not perfect, and i respect that about me. i know no one else is either, and i respect that about you. whatever works for each of us, as long as it's WORKING is a-ok by me! :eek: here's to all of us doing our best, day by day, with our trusty band and ourselves.

angie :grouphug:

I don't forgive myself for being overweight. I made my choices and I knew the consequences as I made them. Now I want to make other choices because to me it is a big deal. It is my life. I won't be forgiving and easy on myself if I slip up. I don't have time to pamper myself along anymore.

Ditto.

Although I do pamper myself, just not with food. Replace bad habits with good habits. Replace a quarter pounder with a facial. Replace a Hersey bar with getting your nails done or your eyebrows waxed. Replace eating that bowl of ice cream with a Protein bar (The Southbeach bars are so damn good...)

This is my issue. This is my body. I did this, no one else. I am not diseased. I am simply unable to eat anything I want.

And that's okay.

It's my responsibility. Not the band, not my parents, not my friends.

and your only a month out.....lets see when you feel like some pizza or mcdonalds

i say give u a few weeks

Oh now that's supportive, yay!

:eek:

I'm nearly six months out. I haven't eaten any fast food. I tried pizza - twice. It no longer holds any attraction for me, at least not to the extent that it used to.

Tough love, babes - tough love.

Rather than reacting maliciously as the quoted post, why not try reacting with the compassion you expect to get when *you* *do* screw up?

Have I eaten things that I shouldn't have? Yes. And I pay the price for it each and every time - either on the scale or in pain.

The fact is, you either work WITH the band, or you work against it.

I'm nearly six months out. I haven't eaten any fast food. I tried pizza - twice. It no longer holds any attraction for me, at least not to the extent that it used to.

Have I eaten things that I shouldn't have? Yes. And I pay the price for it each and every time - either on the scale or in pain.

The fact is, you either work WITH the band, or you work against it.

There are people for whom pizza does hold attraction post-banding; surgery doesn't magically make that go away. And for many of us, eating "badly" doesn't always mean paying a price we are unwilling to pay, so why not do it from time to time? That's where I am, and happy to be here. :biggrin1:

Working with the band doesn't necessarily mean forcing yourself to give up everything you love and live a life of deprivation and denial. It's about learning, and I think we can all agree that takes time.