Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who were you banded by?

It's so awesome to see everyone posting!

I'm so envious of all you May bandsters, best wishes to you...We're pulling for ya!

Has everyone left some "positive thoughts" in the thread by that name? I know I really enjoy reading them when I'm feeling low...

It would be great to see some more.

I received my Optifast shipment this week. I was so upset to see that it's riddled with Aspertame. BLECH! I hate that stuff and it gives me wicked headaches. I was just sitting down getting ready to have myself a pity party, when I thought of all of you.

It's only 2 weeks right?! Bah, that's nothin'! I can do this.

I'm so glad I found this group. It helps so much hearing your stories...

Thank you.

Mandi -

How did your first fill go? Was Dr. Cobourn training Dr. Mitchell?

I should have questioned Rose when you told me your appointment was at Peter Lougheed and I said my meeting was at Foothills Hospital. Rose informed most of his patients but I was left out. After waiting over 1 hour at Foothills and making calls to Rose, Dr. C. finally called me to apologize about the mixup. Oh well, I ended up meeting him the day before my surgery in Toronto.

Congrats on the 26+ lb weight loss so far!

What a great guy he is!

Aww... that sucks that you missed him! Lucky you didn't drive 9 hours to get there like me! I met him for the first time the day before my surgery too.

The fill was ok. I was a demo-model for everyone to stand around and watch Dr. C doing my fills. Went ok though! (although I'm thinking I may need more, soon)

He was actually there training 4 Dr's, including Mitchell !

And thank you... I'm hoping to lose more... someday! LOL

Mandi

Hello fellow Canadians! I had my surgery in Calgary by one of the Dr''s trained by Dr Cobourn. There are 4 of them including Dr Mitchell who I saw initially saw to have my surgery.

2 weeks out and I am feeling great.

Cloe, I hope you are recuperating and feeling well. Please let us know.

Hey AMF!

Wow... what day did you have your surgery? I was in Calgary for my fill on May 10. Which Dr. did your surgery? Did Dr. Cobourn 'assist' or anything?

Do you mind me asking what your BMI is? (or at least how tall you are, and I can figure it out for myself)

Cause I heard they were only doing people with very high BMI's... (guess cause it's covered) and I've got a friend who lives in Calgary, and would love to get it done.

Glad you're doing well.

Mandi

Hi Mandi

My surgery was May 12th. Dr Cobourn was already back in Ont by then.

My BMI was 41 and I am 5'8".

I would tell your friend to call Dr Mitchell for a consult.

Interesting. When I was there, I asked for my friend, what she should do to get in on this... the dietician for the program was there, and told my friend to give her a call to get things going. I know my friend tried calling and left a message to be called back, but I don't know how that turned out. I'll have to find out! Best to get in ASAP, before everyone finds out about it!

So your surgeon was Dr. Mitchell? That's so great that they are doing it in Alberta now. :grouphug:

Mandi

Interesting. When I was there, I asked for my friend, what she should do to get in on this... the dietitian for the program was there, and told my friend to give her a call to get things going. I know my friend tried calling and left a message to be called back, but I don't know how that turned out. I'll have to find out! Best to get in ASAP, before everyone finds out about it!

So your surgeon was Dr. Mitchell? That's so great that they are doing it in Alberta now. :grouphug:

Mandi

Do you remember her name?

No,Dr Mitchell did not do my surgery, It was one of the others and I don't know how to spell his name.Its French!

It is a good feeling to be part of the first group to have this procedure done in Alberta. I go for my first follow up this Friday. I hope to get a date for my first fill.

WHO did you see for your fill?

The dieticians name? No, I don't... she just gave me the phone number for her office and told my friend to call and set up an appointment. ?

Did you maybe see her too?

I bet is was Dr. Descoteaux that was your surgeon. Sound right? I think he was there when Dr. Cobourn was doing my fill, but there were so many people watching, I didn't know who was who!

So that's who did my fill... Cobourn. I went and saw him when he was there those 2 days to train. I am thinking I need another fill soon, so I'll probably go see Dr. Mitchell.

Do you know how many bands they are doing? I heard that it's kind of in trial stage, and they're only doing something like 25 (total) the whole year.... do you know anything about that?

Mandi

Yes, that is his name. Very nice Dr.

and yes I was one of the first 12 to be banded out of the 25 that are being done. I am not sure if they have selected all 25 though.

The dietician I saw was Jan.

Good luck to your friend.

I have inlaws in Sask. Where are you from?

:opps2: AAAHHHHH, I'm soooooo sorry. I had posted so many times before my surgery, I was trying to cover them all when I got back. I kinda ran out of steam before I got to them all:notagree . But of course I should have started with my great Canadian bandster friends first:canada: . Please accept my apologies. Okay here goes...(by the way it was so neat to see you all thinking of me ) Got to the clinic around 7:00, talked to Marie for a bit, she weigh'd me, blood pressure etc...Then Dr. Cobourn came in talked to my husband and I for a minute, then I met the anestegiolist(?). I wasnt at all nervous, the nurse came and got me and took me to OR, they did the iv, kinda got me ready(still not nervous) all the team is totally nice. They were rubbing my arms and legs, it took a minute to knock me out. Next thing I remember I was waking up to another great nurse. She was right there with Water, warm towels, gasx. Dr. Cobourn came out, said everthing was perfect(should have been for 3 weeks of opti-fast:eek: ). Left to go home about 1 hr later. Slept most of the day. Had a bit of a mental breakdown around 3:30 am (I think I had shelved my nervousness, and it had to come out sometime:Cry: ).Now I feel great:clap2: ! Love to here from you guys. All you Canadian Bandsters coming up....Give us your surgery dates so we can all send you some energy, you wont need luck, you'll sail right through it!

Well done Cloe! It is so nice to know that you are ok and up and around and doing so well!

4 days and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not lost as much pre-op as I would like! It came off so fast at the beginning and then just stalled out! Went up a pound - went down a pound and now just stalled but my liver better be in great shape!

I am leaving Thursday noon to take the train to Hamilton to stay with my sister for the night and she is taking me to the clinic and staying with me bringing me home and staying for 3 days to make sure that I am OK and to take care of my sick mom in my place.

Sliding down to bandland!

Woo! Yay Cloe! Sounds almost exactly like my experience! Glad you're doing well!

And Jude, good luck, update us as soon as you can! And if your ticker is any indication of what you've lost with Optifast, then that's AWESOME. I only lost 15 pounds, and I started heavier than you, so I should have probably lost more. Whatever you lose now is less that you'll have to lose later on! (and don't weigh every day!) :)

Thanks Argon, I will let everyone know how I am doing as soon as I feel up to it or as soon as I can walk my sister through how to get on here and post.

I have lost over 15 lbs on the opti-fast and yes I have been getting on those scales every day. Just can't help it!