Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who were you banded by?

This is my first time viewing this site and I like it so far. I needed to see others who have been banded.:wave:

I was banded by Dr Joffe in Toronto on March 2nd and had my first fill yesterday April 13th. So far I have lost 16lbs and have had no problems.

Look forward to the future.:hippie:

Karenp:Banane20:

hello. i was banded on march 1st. i got my 1st fill today. i have lost a total of 27lbs already, and i am very pleased with my results. and welcome.

Well, I have to say it is nice to see some posts from Canucks on here. I've been in the main sites on this forum but not in the Canadian one. I'm surprised that there isn't more postings!

Anyways....hi all....I'm getting banded on 21 Apr (4 more sleeps!!) by Drs. Joffee/Yau in Toronto. I'm nervous (to be expected) but I think more excited than nervous.

If anyone else was banded at TLBC, it would be great to connect to share experiences.

Good luck to any of you who are pre-op or post-op!

Cheers...:confused:

This is my first time posting. I am scheduled for lap-band surgery on May 17th with Dr. Cobourn. Anyone else getting done around the same time? I'm flying in from Calgary.

Hi there canadian bander, how was your experience with Dr Woodhead? He is one of my choices, however I'm having a bit of trouble getting information. The assistant on the phone said that I would have to book a consult at $400 to learn anything. Now, I realize that I get that back if I proceed with him but she also said, when I pressed her, that the price was changing and that it would cost somewhere between 13 and 20K. It seems a lot to spend just to find out all the information I would want before I decide on someone. However, if you had a very positive experience and if I can get the new price narrowed down a bit I may go ahead. I'm finding that it's easier to get financing for Canadian procedures rather than out of country ones.

By the way, do you know how many bands Dr Woodhead has done?

Thanks

Devana

Hi Everyone!

It's my first post...

I am scheduled for my band on July 5th, 2006 in Mississauga, ON by Dr. Cobourn. It's costing me 15,000 no tax. I have to pay out of pocket, but I'll make it happen somehow.

I'm from Alberta.

Has anyone mentioned the tax rebate us self-payers are eligible for? At tax time I will get around $2600 back on my taxes because of the medical expenses deduction. I just hope no one misses out on it for lack of knowing!

It's so wonderful to see all the other canucks here...!

:typing:

Take care,

Sunshine

Hi Sunshine,

Yup, I'm planning on submitting everything when I do my income tax next year! Make sure you save your receipts for EVERYthing, including your flight, hotel, taxi's/rental car, food, and whatever else while you're in Mississauga!

mandi

I was banded by Dr. Chang in Victoria Tx.

Banding Date below in Sig.

This is my first post! I am being banded by Dr. Cobourn on June 2/06! I am very excited that this will be the LAST time that I will have to lose this weight. I have done it a number of times but it keeps finding me again!

Of course it is self-pay and I have to do it on a line of credit - but I am now confident that I will live long enough to pay it back!!!!

I was very impressed by Dr. Cobourn and his staff and I am looking forward to a life long relationship with his office and staff.

Thanks for all the help that you guys give through your posts about your experiences and your challenges. Thanks for being so open and honest! It really does help the newbies.

jude048

243/243/140

I was banded by Dr Mumford, an associate of Dr Coburn, on April 25th. Everything seems to be fine. I had severe nausea the first week, but that has improved. I go for my first post op visit on Monday and will then be on mushies.

I hope people give Dr Mumford a try, he is an experienced doctor and I think his waiting times are slightly shorter than Dr Coburn. I was lucky he had a cancellation and was able to have my operation in April rather than having to wait until May 20th. I've lost 20 pounds so far, that's more than I've managed to lose in the last 9 years.

Well, if you count the same 5 pounds I kept losing and gaining, I guess I've lost 100 pounds in the last 9 years. :phanvan

Hi Sunshine,

Yup, I'm planning on submitting everything when I do my income tax next year! Make sure you save your receipts for EVERYthing, including your flight, hotel, taxi's/rental car, food, and whatever else while you're in Mississauga!

mandi

Oooo! Sweet! I had not even thought about all the added expenses, I was only counting my actual surgery fee...

Thanks for for the advice girl!!

I'm so glad to have found you guys..

I don't feel strong enough to argue with anyone over my decision. I'm sick of being told it would make more sense to "just stop eating so much". :angry

It wore me out just "selling" the whole idea to my mother, my best friend and my husband. My mom is now supportive...(to the tune of $5000 on her line of credit:think THANKS MOM), my husband is more along the lines of "tolerant" of the idea, and my best friend is against it, but is accompanying me to Ontario because she loves me anyway.

I will have to tell everyone else afterwards, cause no one's going to stop me!!

I can't tell you how nice it feels to have this network of suportive people. Thank you everyone!!!:)

Sunshine

Hi Canadian Sunshine!

I am also getting banded by Dr. Cobourn. I started my Opti-fast yesterday. 19 more days to go. I know what you mean about telling others. I only told my mom, husband and kids. I figure I can tell everyone else after the surgery, then it dosent matter what they say. I actually decided to tell my hairdresser, because he was out of town and wouldnt tell anyone. He squinted up his face and said "you'r not". At that moment I knew not telling anyone before surgery was the right thing to do! Good Luck and keep in touch!:)