Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Bandsters!!!

Hey Heather B... I'm in Romeoville, IL... Just 30mins west of downtown Chicago. I would love to find a local as well to hang out with or maybe even start a support group. My surgeon is Dr. Vafa Shayani out of Adventist bolingbrook hospital in Bolingbrook, IL... Super duper excited and anxious... How bout you? (24days n counting!!!) October 14th, here I come!!!

This is my first time posting. My surgery is scheduled for October 4! Some of my info for this process in case anyone wants to compare is below. FIRST - can anyone help me figure out the "ticker" to put on the bottom of my signature? I can't figure it out...

1) Pre-op diet: Started the pre-op diet today after meeting with my surgeon yesterday. Diet is Optifast - three (3) shakes per day, plus two other items (Optifast Soup or Optifast bar.) If REALLY hungry, can have 1-2 servings of certain veggies or sugar-free popsicle or Jello. Nurse practitioner told me the first three days on the Optifast are the hardest to get through. (Note - my surgeon doesn't really give you a choice on the pre-op diet. I could have used Carnation Instant Breakfast sugar-free, but you have to bring in the receipt to show you bought it. Optifast just seemed easier.)

2) Surgery: will be first thing in the morning, and I will be in the hospital one night. Upper GI the next morning to make sure everything is where it needs to be, and then home. Standard is 2 weeks off work, but can go back after 1 week if all is going well and job is not physically demanding.

3) Insurance: Insurance (BCBS of Michigan) process was very easy for me - surgeon's office handled all of the details. Due to my BMI being 40+, I didn't have to also have other co-morbidities. (I do have blood pressure that is right on the borderline of being high.) As part of the insurance requirements, I did have to have a psychiatric evaluation, and prove that I had tried other methods of weight loss. The surgeon also had other requirements (meeting with dietician, support group attendance.)

Not really hungry yet, but tonight will be the test. Husband asked me what kind of birthday cake I wanted for my birthday this weekend (sigh...he doesn't get it, does he?) I told him cheesecake since I can't stand it, and then he and my daughter can eat it!

Am looking forward to getting on this journey!

4) Currently at 285 lbs., and am 5'4" tall.

I am scheduled for October 3. I am going through the Veterans Administration to have my surgery. I have been "in process" for a year. My surgery is 600 miles from home so they are keeping me overnight and then I have to hang out in a motel for a week. I started pre op diet yesterday. I am very lactose intolerant so it is complicated finding shakes I can tolerate. I live in Oklahoma and am going through this as a gift of love to myself. Kids are grown, husband deceased, time for me. I am redoing my house for exercize, plus have stationary bike to supplement work outs. I also do all my own yard work. The summer was brutal on my outdoor chores and I'm glad to be back out working on what is left of my roses.

I am looking forward to watching the progress of all my October buddies.

I am in the Kansas City area

Hello All :)

Im getting banded October 25th!!!! Im super excited and super scared all at the same time. I need to do this. I think my biggest issue it not being able to drink and eat at the same time and not being able to drink an entire bottle of Water in 5 seconds. But if thats the worst thing then i think i ca over come it. If and any pointers please pass me way. Good luck and Congratulations to all :)

So I went to an Education Class that my doctor does once a week for pre-op patients and loved it. Talked about anything and everything that i had been wondering about. I was also given a 72 page Lap Band Patient Owners Manual. I got such a kick out of it. I felt like I was back in high school and had to cram for a test. It has shopping lists for what to buy for each food stage. Menus for a week for each food stage. A what to do if this happens. Phone numbers and emails for all the staff when the office is closed. It even has a section for whom ever is taking you to and from the hospital during surgery and what they should expect. Its an owners manual for a tool. Thats all Lap band is and this is a how to. LOVE IT. Cant wate till October 6th.

I am 29 and in Katy, TX which is west of Houston. I'm going through True Results and they have handled everything for me. All I had to do was show up once a month for my visits. I went through a long stretch of 'last supper syndrome' and have gained about 6lbs!! But now, I'm back on track and currently waiting on approval (fingers crossed!!). Do you think that will delay my approval?? I should be having surgery in October if all goes well. My surgeon is Dr. Reilly. Good luck everyone! :P

For those of you who have started your liquid diet, how goes it? I am on my second day and it is not fun! Basically I can only "eat" Jello and broth. Major bummer!

Hi all! I just got my surgery date: 10/26! I start my pre-op diet 10/12. So excited! I've already stocked up on shakes... if anyone is still in need of some.. CVS has had Jillian Micheals, EAS Myoplex and SlimFast shakes on 75% clearance. I definitely should not run out...lol

I got the six packs of slim fast for $1.74 each!

Good luck to all!

I have been told that the first 4 days of the pre-op are the hardest. After that it is not so bad. You will do great. We are all here with you.

For those of you who have started your liquid diet, how goes it? I am on my second day and it is not fun! Basically I can only "eat" Jello and broth. Major bummer!

I have been told that the first 4 days of the pre-op are the hardest. After that it is not so bad. You will do great. We are all here with you.

Ok we have two vets in the group. I would like to know from the vets what worked and what did not work for you in the early stages of your journey. I know that I am worried about the unknown. My nerves are shot with the unknown. Maybe you can help us youngsters out and give us a heart to heart.

First thing that comes to mind is remember that surgery is surgery, regardless that it is less invasive and you must take it easy for awhile to heal. Some and not all people deal with gas (air) that remains in the body after surgery and must be absorbed and can be painful, make sure you have your pain medications available. Light walking and sipping Water will help this out but don't over do it. You may feel depressed weeks after surgery and feel helpless and keep asking yourself "what the heck did I do". This is normal. This is due to the side affects of the unknown and anesthesia. You will feel no hunger for over a week, but, out of nowhere you will start feeling the hunger. This is due to your stomach healing from the swelling. 6 weeks later you will get your first fill and may need several other fills 6 weeks apart each time before you start feeling restriction. Be patient. Practice chewing your food very well as of now, you will be that much better off at the end. Last, but not least, everyone's journey is so very different and don't be embarrassed to contact your doctor with questions no matter how silly you may think the question is.

Ok we have two vets in the group. I would like to know from the vets what worked and what did not work for you in the early stages of your journey. I know that I am worried about the unknown. My nerves are shot with the unknown. Maybe you can help us youngsters out and give us a heart to heart.

I know this sounds unreal to you.

But try not to worry...

They have this down to a science, and this is big Money !

The Band does work, and everything is done step by step.

You just listen to what your Dr. Tells you to do, and you follow threw

with everything. liquids, Mushies, Foods, and fill after fill.

As long as you follow threw you will lose weight.

This is a s l o w go, so you must have patience !

Then when filled, and eating a lot less.

Just stick with what your doing.

That includes walking, it's easy, and it helps burn it up.

So consistency is the key.

You all have time ! So please take advice from someone who

has done this. Enjoy yourself for now !

Buy your Protein shakes, and items that will help you with your recovery.

Pill crusher, Heating Pad, sugar free pudding, and sf yogurt.

sleep in a Recliner, it is easier then trying to lay in bed, and then get up.

So enjoy yourself as you get ready for your new life.

That was passed my way, and I'm passing it your way.(and they were right.)

Shirley.

Thanks. I just got back from the store with some chicken broth. I added some seasonings to it and it was pretty good. Better than Jello. The salt made a big difference I think.

Okay October Bandsters... Here's a little bit about my journey thus far:

I started my journey on August 18th, 2011 when I attended my first ever seminar. My consult was Aug 26th. I weighed in at 342.8 @ 5'9" with a BMI of 51. My insurance is Anthem Blue Cross of CA. I wasnt required to do a 6month pre-diet. The surgeon sent me for all my testings on Aug 31st. I did my Psych eval on Sept 6th and my PCP gave me Surgery Clearance on Sept. 7th. My final stop was a trip to the nutritionist on Sept 12th. I had finally completed everything required from insurance n my surgeon.

So... the nurse submitted all my paperwork to my insurance company on Tuesday Sept 13th... and 2 days later on Sept 15th, I got my approval for LapBand surgery. The whole process took less than a month. When the nurse called I was so thrilled. This by far had been the best news I'd gotten in a long time!!!...biggrin.gif... It's all happening so much faster than I expected. After clearing things up with my job, I am scheduled to have surgery on Oct 14th (24days n counting).

My surgeon did make me get a current pap smear n pelvic exam (which i really don't know why) blink.gif... which I completed yesterday Sept 19th.

I am required to do a 10-day Atkins diet before surgery. Does anyone know a little bit about Atkins? What kinds of things should I be eating on this diet? Also any tips on what I need to get before surgery and what to bring with me to the hospital on surgery day? Also any suggestions on things I should start doing now that will help me along the way. Btw, can anyone recommend a pretty tasty Protein drink. I here some of them taste darn awful!!! lol...

Thanks LBT family & my new October Bandsters Family. I am so happy to be taking this journey with all the love n support from my friends, family, and of course all the beautiful people here on LBT.