Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question? How much food per serving do you eat?

Hi,

I was just wondering what the average amount of food is that you eat after being banded? I've been told by my doctor that you can only eat about 1/2 a cup of food at one time and not to try and eat anymore than that. Ok, if that's the case how in the world do you get in enough calories, Protein and such during the day? I've been only able to eat about every 4-5 hours, not ever 3 that they are recommending. The gas is still an issue and causing problems with left shoulder and neck pain. If I try and eat anything more or more frequently the pain is so intense that I can't stand it. Yet, I've read about how you guys are eating all kinds of foods and no problem. How much of this food are you eating? 3 bites and you're done? I thought the band was a tool to help us control our portions, not to make it where you couldn't eat food period! I'm a little concerned on what is happening to my body and being so darn tired all day long! I feel like I could crawl back into bed everytime I get out of it!

I stick to the 1/2 cup portion, I was banded July 1st. I can eat anything I want but I always start with my protein(at least 2 ozs) and then either a little fruit or veggie. I don't count calories at all, I mostly count Protein, but I do only eat wholesome foods. I also start my morning, every morning with a Protein Shake. I found that it became easier to do with each meal and now I don't even think about it anymore....don't worry, you'll adjust!! :rolleyes:

I was also banded July 1st. I also try to eat my Protein first, sometimes I just eat protein. Like tonight for dinner I had meatballs while my family ate spaghetti and meatballs. I try to eat 6oz or 1/2 cup, I am kinda getting used to eyeballing how much I can eat, and I always use a saucer, I never use a full size plate. I have def have had a slip up here and there, but I try not to get down on myself, I am only human. I also think that different food I can eat more of. Like I can probably eat a cup of salad with 3 oz or so grilled chicken breast. I eat until I feel a little discomfort under my breast bone, then I stop. (which has been difficult). But one time eating too much was a bad experience.sad.gif When I told the dr. this at my last fill, he told me this is how you know the band is working for you! It made me so happy. I think the hardest part for me is waiting an hour after I eat to drink, this drives me nutts!! Good luck if I can help you in any way let me know. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

I've never been told to stick to 1/2 cup...my normal serving of food is 3-4 oz Protein and 1/2 cup veggies. I eat between 80-120g of protein a day and have lost 106 lbs in 9 months. Personally, I don't think you can get in enough protein and other nutrients just eating 1/2 cup per meal.

I agree with Vicky. Watch your calorie counts, Protein and carbs. You will be fine. When I asked my surgeon about portions he said to stay at a 1200 calorie per day. I think you will be very successful if you track everything you eat.

I totally agree with that.

I give myself a window of 800-1200 calories a day, and 60-80G of Protein.

This makes it easier for me, when it comes down to choice.

Also if I been at 900-1000 for a while, and I go out and eat. If I hit 1300 cal. I don't

kick myself for it... But I use to... But not anymore, I realize that I am trying to do the right

thing, and this takes time. So kicking myself for 100 cal. is not worth it. Plus I could never enjoy it ! !

Now it's well tomorrow is a new day, and we can tighten it up then. . Not to mention, that was good for a change.

That's how I float my Boat...

What do you do????

I was told to eat 3 oz solid Protein plus veggies. I don't see how you could fit in the protein and enough veggies for a balanced diet in 1/2 a cup.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I do have an appointment to see my doctor this coming wednesday. I am going to ask about the 1/2 cup rule that he has in all his paperwork that he gave me. I just thought it was a little strange to say only eat 1/2 cup of food for 3 meals a day and nothing else. I couldn't imagine getting enough of anything with that small a portion. But I have to admit, when I tried to eat a little more than 1/2 a cup I found out that left should and neck pain to flair it's ugly HEAD! I was not happy about that and the doctor said I probably ate too much and needed to stop what I was doing! I absolutely know that I am not getting anywhere near the 60 grams of Protein, let along hardly any Water at all. The Protein Shakes are a problem since they give me horrible gas and I"m not sure if it's because of the milk or not! The doctor told me to lay off the protein shakes and try to get my protein in through other means. However, I am only on pureed foods so its hard to get 60 grams of protein unless I eat only yogurt and cottage cheese all day long. Not something I'd like to continue for 4 more days. I was hopeing for a little bit more of a variety by now! UGH....sorry I do realize that I sound like I'm complainging. I am continuining to lose weight, and I like this but not the way it feels like I'm losing it through starvation and wonder what is going to happen when and if I actually get to eat regular again! OH boy.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I do have an appointment to see my doctor this coming wednesday. I am going to ask about the 1/2 cup rule that he has in all his paperwork that he gave me. I just thought it was a little strange to say only eat 1/2 cup of food for 3 meals a day and nothing else. I couldn't imagine getting enough of anything with that small a portion. But I have to admit, when I tried to eat a little more than 1/2 a cup I found out that left should and neck pain to flair it's ugly HEAD! I was not happy about that and the doctor said I probably ate too much and needed to stop what I was doing! I absolutely know that I am not getting anywhere near the 60 grams of Protein, let along hardly any Water at all. The Protein Shakes are a problem since they give me horrible gas and I"m not sure if it's because of the milk or not! The doctor told me to lay off the protein shakes and try to get my protein in through other means. However, I am only on pureed foods so its hard to get 60 grams of protein unless I eat only yogurt and cottage cheese all day long. Not something I'd like to continue for 4 more days. I was hopeing for a little bit more of a variety by now! UGH....sorry I do realize that I sound like I'm complainging. I am continuining to lose weight, and I like this but not the way it feels like I'm losing it through starvation and wonder what is going to happen when and if I actually get to eat regular again! OH boy.

Check the Protein count in the foods you are eating....some meats/seafood is high than others - that helps, also Beans (I know about the gas) but they too are high in Protein and so is eggs (6 gms for 1 egg). I eat about 2-3 ozs of meat and a 1/2 cup of vegies per meal - sometimes for a "snack" I eat a Low Fat Mozz. cheese stick (high in protein again). I have the band plus plication so I am even more restricted but doing well. My surgery was 7/7/11 and I am down 48 pounds. I still get gas but no longer have pain the shoulder. I hope your doctor can give you some relief. I know loosing weight is the plan but not if you are miserable. Take care and keep us posted.

Melinda B)