Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need your opinion on colas, gum and surgery

Hey ladies: I am new to lapband talk, and am in the process of having my surgery approved. I went to a required nutritionist meeting the other day. She told us that we could NEVER NEVER have carbonated cokes or drinks again, and that we could only have flat colas, due to the carbonation "stretching out your new stomach"???? Is this true? I dont know why this bothers me so... I'm not really a soda addict... but this is basically the first time I have heard anybody use the term NEVER in relation to post lap band surgery behavior. Dont get me wrong.. I am ready to change my habits.... I just want to hear your opinion.. She also said NO MORE GUM or straws.... EVER!!!! What do you think?

Also, I do not know if my insurance is going to approve the adjustable lap band,( which is the surgery I want due to trying to get pregnant later...) Did any of you have trouble getting this surgery approved? My insurance is saying that it is still considered "experimental"...but I thought it had been approved by the FDA. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Sheri

Sheri,

I was told no soda, however, I've recently read some posts that state people do drink soda...for me...I wasn't a big soda drinker but I craved McDonald's Coke...sometimes I could rip the face off of someone who cracks one open in front of me...but then I just drink something else and think...small price to pay for being healthy!

As far as the gum and straws, I haven't heard either. I usually drink my Water through a straw...I haven't been chewing gum because I've had some reflux and gum will bother me, however, I wouldn't be opposed to chewing it if it wasn't for that reason. I believe the reasoning for the gum and straws is it allows you to swallow more air...however, I have yet to burp since being banded and I drink through a straw daily...can't be taking in too much air...prior to banding I was the burping queen!

In relation to your insurance, time will tell. I chose the lap-band also because I could deflate it and not have problems with nutrition when I get pregnant (yeah, that requires finding a man first...) At my surgeons office if I would have been denied Inamed was handling the appeals...check into that and see if they are also helping your surgeon. I know Inamed is especially swift in handling the appeals if it is denied due to investigational or experimental.

I hate to say it but that was the most nerve racking part of this whole journey...wondering if I would get approved. Actually I was told I was by my surgeon's office...then they had to call back to verify benefits with the benefit department, not the nurse that approved, and they were told Lap-Band was not covered but I could have the RNY. Let's just say I had a fax into them approving my appeal within five minutes. I also contacted my HR department and spoke with our benefits manager and she arranged a call with the benefit manager at my insurance. Come to find out it was a mistake and Lap-Band was a covered benefit!

Good Luck!

Thanks so much for your time and effort in responding to me! You gave some great info. What is Inamed? I have not heard of that! How successful have you been since your surgery? Any side effects bothering you? Any regrets? Thanks! Sheri

My pleasure! I was once in your shoes...

Inamed is the maker of the Lap-Band...you can check them out at:

http://www.inamed.com/products/obesity/us/patient/patient.html

I'm doing pretty well...will be out 3 months on Wednesday and have had two fills thus far and am down 36lbs. I have to say I'm very happy with the choice I made and would do it again in a heartbeat!

The only side effect I have had has been some reflux, which I've had pre-banding...I'm taking Aciphex for it and it has pretty much resolved...other than that...none!

I would strongly urge you to ask your surgeon's office about filing an appeal through Inamed if your insurance is denying you based on investigational or experimental. You may also want to check out a group on Yahoo called "Bandsters Insurance" they are dedicated to fighting appeals and offering advice.

Good luck!

Guest Claire HS

Hiya

I have an SAGB rather than a Lap-Band, but I'm pretty sure the same guidelines apply. I'd heard lots before my op about how you could never have carbonated drinks or bread ever again, though I must say the chewing gum is a new one on me. When I asked my surgeon he said he'd prefer it if I didn't have fizzy stuff (but not that it was a definate no-no) and that we'd have to see how I got on with bread later. Bread is still a bit hit and miss with me but I do now drink carbonated drinks, not nearly as much as I used to, and I try to have it out of a bottle rather than a can, that way I can open it before and let it go a little flat before drinking it. If you drink it too fast you burp a lot and its a bit unpleasant, but if you take small sips it seems to go down fine with me.

I don't know if this will cause my band or pouch harm in the future, no one seems to know one way or the other for definate, but for now until I'm told otherwise I think I'll carry on.

Claire

Thanks so much , Claire for your response.. I am not familiar with the surgery you had... Forgive me... I am still new to all of this.. could you tell me about it? Thanks! Sheri

Thanks Jennye for your time.,,, and response. Great info. to have... Do you have the "head hunger" problems I have heard about? What is it like... does it pass if you just do something else with your time... does it get easier the farther post op you are? Thanks! Sheri

Sheri

I am a heavy diet soda drinker. A Big Gulp on the way to work and several bottles throughout the day and don't forget the ever present 2 liter at home. This concerns me the most about my upcoming surgery which was originally scheduled for 2/23/04 but now it is 3/2/04. I am trying to cut down a little each day and hopefully by surgery date I will be off the bottle. This habit and my Skittles (candy) habit will be the hardest to break. I can't wait for the day when I can go thru without both of them. I can't wait to discover the thin person inside this fat body. I am not a big gum chewer due to extensive dental work so I will not miss that treat. I did hear, however that drinking thru a straw does put excess air in your stomach. I guess it is a try and see how it works out type of thing.

Christine

Christine: Congrats on getting your surgery approved; Did you have trouble getting it approved? sounds like you and I are going to both have to deal with the soda thing.... I am not really a coke addict, but I do enjoy my diet Dr pepper and Diet sprite every day..... oh well,,,, a small price to pay for a better future, Right? Cant wait to hear how your surgery goes... I am still in process of getting mine approved..best of luck, and stay in touch... Any fear of doubts? Sheri

Sheri,

As far as head hunger is concerned I didn't have a lot of problems with it...I do think I used to eat when I was bored...because I was HELLA bored after surgery when I couldn't eat...I decided to start working on my Masters...that cured the boredom really fast! Now I'm just bored and avoid my homework...

I'm lucky that I'm not a big snack and sweet junkie...thank goodness...but I'm still working on my fast food addiction...it's just so quick and easy...that is my goal now...to start making better choices...

Guest Claire HS

Sorry Bullit, SAGB is just short for Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band. Which seems to be what most of the surgeons seem to prefer to fit at the moment here in the UK.

HTH

Claire

Hi Bullitt,

Just want to chime in here and say I was never told anything about gum, straws, or even carbonated soda. I did try a soda once but the sensation it caused was uncomfortable so I stopped. I do know some folks drink them without a problem, but they probably let the carbonation dissipate a little before drinking. I've chewed gum with no worries.

As far as your insurance goes I'd suggest not worrying until you get to the point where your surgeon actually puts in the request for precertification. Go ahead and get the testing done and be sure you are diagnosed with morbid obesity as soon as possible. Then when you put in the request for surgery you'll find out what your carrier says. If it is denied for investigational reasons you will have a very strong case for appeal--the band was approved by the FDA in June of 2001.

My carrier denied for the same reason and I won my appeal against them.

Thanks Alexandria! I plan to fight until I get approval.. Especially since I plan to try and get pregnant after, which would make the adjustable the appropriate surgery for me..Thanks so much for your insight. How many months post op are you? Any difficulties? Any regrets? Sheri