Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery what are you allowed to have for liquids? Also do you have pain meds? How long are you in the hospital for?

After surgery what are you allowed to have for liquids? Also do you have pain meds? How long are you in the hospital for?

hi there and yes you will be given liquid pain meds which i only took to get me home from the hosp and maybe one day . I drank broth and tea and crystal light the first week oh yes and popsicles...then i was allowed full liquids which was my Protein shakes....and cream Soups and yogurt , sugar free puddings and such,,,,,i did do sherbert quite often....made me feel like i was having a treat and it seemed to set really well...then on christmas day i advanced to soft foods so the only thing i couldnt have was ham ,,,,i had a very small plate of cranberry sauce, squash and a piece of pureed pie made with splenda....now i have been 8 months out and have lost 78 lbs i am yo yoing tho i think i need to have a fill i used to be able to feel restriction ad now i dont so i think its time. i go back for a fill sept 14th ....i only had my initial fill since surgery.....well good luck to you ,,,,also i was in the hosp one night...

For 2-3 days I was restricted to clear fluids. Water, broth, tea, etc. After that I went on to heavier liquids, such as Soups, shakes, etc.

I was given a liquid medicine with codeine. can't remember the name. Someone here will.

My surgery was outpatient. Checked into same day surgery at 7am. was prepped and ready to go by 9:30am. Was discharged at 6 pm. Only reason it took that long was the Surgeon wanted to see me before I left, but he got tied up somewhere else.

I was on protien shakes from the get go, for one week. I was then on mushies for a week, then solid food. I had no problems. I was in the hospital overnight, left the next afternoon. They do an exray and make sure everything is where it should be. I was then given Water, broth and some Jello to make sure things stayed down. I was given percecet, disolved it into little medicine cups. It worked great. I only need it for 2 days or so. I took MOM and it helped with Constipation.< /p>

I spent one night in the hospital and was released at 9 am the next day. It was required for my insurance. I think most peoples is outpatient tho. I was instructed to have only Clear Liquids + Protein shakes (1 oz every hour) for 4 weeks! I think my doc required a little too long and I was bad and didn't follow instruction. By the 2nd week I was eating Tomato Soup 3x a day along with my chicken broth, Jello (I can't even look at Jello anymore!), popsicles, and crystal light. By the 3rd week I was eating cottage cheese, mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. By the 4th week I was eating everything - and I mean everything. My first real meal was a cheeseburger from Burger King. I know that's bad - after having wls, but I wanted it so badly. It went down fine. So did everything else for the next 4 mths. It was at about 5 mths when my band was adjusted correctly and I've now lost almost 100 lbs.

Oh, and my doc did give me liquid vicodin. I needed it as I was pretty sore. I refilled the script once (2 bottles) over a weeks time. They gave me morphine in my IV in the hospital. That was pretty nice!

Good luck! Stock up on jello, broth, popsicles, and crystal lite! And I found that the whey Protein Shakes with 52 gms of Protein from Walmart tasted better than the $50 stuff from GNC.

Good luck to you!

Marci

On the first day, I was on clear fluids. For the next 6 days, any fluids that will go through a straw - so drinks, shakes, Soups, teas, etc. That's the phase I'm in now. After this, I go onto mashed potato or runnier texture - scrambled eggs, weetbix with milk, etc. That's for a week. Then I'm onto normal food.< /p>