Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Down 50 Lbs And Notice That Strangers are Nicer

I now hold doors open for myself where as I used to let the fat me just walk right into them face first.

I now hold doors open for myself where as I used to let the fat me just walk right into them face first.

TOO FUNNY!!!!

Interesting side question to this thread: Now that you're thinner, do YOU treat obese people differently? I try not to, but I find myself paying more attention to other thinner people, and kind of not paying atention to those who are obese. How embarrassing is THAT to realize? I'm forcing myself to try and not be "that guy." I never liked him.

Dave

Dave,

I know what you mean. I find myself thinking 'I wonder if they know about the lap-band?'. It almost feels evangalical - like I want to preach to them.

Interesting side question to this thread: Now that you're thinner, do YOU treat obese people differently? I try not to, but I find myself paying more attention to other thinner people, and kind of not paying atention to those who are obese. How embarrassing is THAT to realize? I'm forcing myself to try and not be "that guy." I never liked him.

Dave

I feel like I pay more attention to other obese people now, but instead of always thinking "I wonder if I look like her/him" I think "I'm glad I don't look like that anymore". I know that sounds horrible and every time I think it, I feel guilty.

Same here in Australia but I was wondering whether it was because of my newly regained self confidence. I think I may project a happier persona and others, including strangers, pick up on that.

This is a good question. I think it may be that I'm treating people differently, therefore people treat me differently. I know I'm much more likely to look people in the eye and be friendly. I feel less of a need to make myself invisible.

On a wonderful side-note, my 11 year old daughter gave me a hug over the weekend. She said, "Daddy! I can reach my arms ALL the way around you now!" I asked her if it was because she was getting bigger, or if I was getting smaller. She said, "I think a little of both."

I wasn't fat until about 36. When i started gaining weight I did notice that people treated me differently. And when I got really fat, like I am now, there was a big difference in peoples attitudes.

Yes, same with me. I have noticed men holding doors open for me and women smiling and starting conversations with me while I'm out. It's really crazy. But I think that we are just more confident in ourselves and it really shows. Good luck everyone. I love this journey!

Confidence increasing is a part of it but only a small part. I think 90% of it is everybody's tendency to shun and ignore people that don't inspire a positive biological response. I think that facially challenged people probably face the same treatment even if they're in shape.

Yes, I feel you on this situation. I get attention from the opposite sex alot more now. I get compliments from alot of my regular customers and family, friends saying things like, "Lookin Good, You losing weight girl, There's something different about you, What are you doing, You are glowing, whatz up slim, etc..." I have my wedding picture on my desk at my highest weight and customers say, " Is that You" and I'll quickly say,"that was 2 years ago" because I know what they are thinking.

I like the attention because I never had that and even my hubby is crazy for me. He tells me everyday that I am so HOT! This gives me encouragement to do better, and my self esteem is at an all time high.

:D

FeFe

Lapband with Gastric Plication

April 11 2011

Starting Weight 355

Goal Weight 145

weight.png

I'm strongly considering the lapband and I have to admit that this is one of the factors I'm looking at.

I work in sales and I suspect that I will make more money as a thinner person. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does anyone feel like they have better work and/or financial opportunities made available to them as a result of being thinner?