Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, It's good by, but not cancer

I know that no one post here anymore, but if you are like me, you check to see if anyone has from time to time. Well....

I went in on July 22 for a fill. They do all fills under flouro, well the barium ended up going over the band and not through it. I had an endoscopy and my band is ¾ of the way eroded into my stomach. So out it must come. Having it done September 13. They talked about in a few months switching me to something else but I decided that I am going to wait 3 years. That will be my 5 year mark cancer free and if I make it that far, then I might get the sleeve. I don't want to lose anything that I might need if my cancer comes back. Oh and was told that if you eroded once, the chances of it happening again are very high, so no new band for me. Even in 3 years.

Now, just so you know, they told me to expect to be in the hospital for at least 2 days. I will wake up with a drain tube so they can watch for leaks. Said something about having me drink something and if it shows up in the drain tube, back to surgery we go. Also the biggest concern they have is port site infection. They explained that when they pull the port tubing out, the chance of infection is very high because of the gastric juices that are in it. No matter how careful they remove it, more than likely an infection is going to happen. They try to keep on top of it with IV antibiotics. Yeah Me!!! Good news is that I will only be on a lifting restriction for about 2 weeks. Bad news, liquid diet for over a week! Ugh!

I almost forgot to add, I asked about why I wasn't leaking now and the doctor explained that when the band is going into the stomach, the stomach "encapsulate" it. So the stomach grew around the band. Including the part that hasn't been "absorbed" yet. Those are not her exact words, but close enough. They only have to put in a small hole and pull it through.

Another FYI, I had no symptoms what so ever. No pain, no heartburn, nothing.

I will still check in from time to time and report if anything big happens in my life. But if you don't hear from me, know that I will always have a special place in my heart for all of you. I will continue to pray for your success and good health.

Brightest of Blessings,

Barb

Oh Barb, I am so sorry to hear that you need to have your band removed. That has always been a worry for me. Hopefully the sleeve will be a better option for you when you are ready for it. I don't check back here very often, but I often wonder how all of my band sisters are doing. Please check back and let us know how you are doing after surgery for those that get a chance to check in. You hold a special place in our hearts as well :))))