Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Slipped!!

I haven't been on here in a while, not sure if my info is up to date. I had my surgery in April 2009. Lost 60 of the 100 I need to lose. Seems like I should be further along with it wasn't because of the band, but because I wasn't always on track all the time.

Anyway, I've been dealing with a lot of reflux and burning symptoms. I knew I had a tight band but I still felt like I was able to eat way too much. To make a long story short, my doc send me for an upper GI and low and behold my band slipped. All of my Fluid was removed from the band. I wait 2 weeks for a repeat upper GI and see if the band went back into place. If it does, he said they can start to slowly refill it. If it doesn't, looks like I'm having it removed. He questioned me as for my reasons for wanting the band over another procedure. (btw - my new doc isn't who did the surgery as I moved to a different state about a year ago). I think he would rather not put a band back in, though it is up to me. He mentioned a sleeve which I don't know much about but will have to research. Also said I could just take the band out and have nothing.

I'm not worried about the surgery itself (other than financial), but I feel like the slippage was definitely my fault..not feel..it is. I know it was in the right place after the surgery.

Anyway, anyone have experience with this. Thanks.

I'm sorry for your situation, but I really appreciate your honesty!

So many people blame the band for failure when it is themselves that didn't work the band--making it hard to make a good decision for outsiders in the beginning.

Again, my sympathies on the band slip, my respect for your courageous honesty!

Thank you

Well if anyone can be 100% perfect all the time, then more power to them. I have excuses..yes calling them excuses...tired single mom, just want to pass out instead of exercise, was separated and divorced in last year, went out and drank too many calories.....so yes it was me, not the band. That said, my doc said I am well above average for weight loss statistically. The most honest part I think is still knowing that I need something to help control my portions. The next two weeks will be very telling, since I have no restriction now. But I am hoping for no surgery at this point.

Well, this is my greatest fear, and honestly I have not been anywhere near perfect either! I know if it was me I would want a sleeve if I needed another surgery. I couldn't go without anything or I would gain back what little I have lost so far. BTW I was banded on may 19th, 2011. Good luck, and hopefully it will shimmy its way back into place! Please keep us posted on your progress. :)

I haven't been on here in a while, not sure if my info is up to date. I had my surgery in April 2009. Lost 60 of the 100 I need to lose. Seems like I should be further along with it wasn't because of the band, but because I wasn't always on track all the time.

Anyway, I've been dealing with a lot of reflux and burning symptoms. I knew I had a tight band but I still felt like I was able to eat way too much. To make a long story short, my doc send me for an upper GI and low and behold my band slipped. All of my Fluid was removed from the band. I wait 2 weeks for a repeat upper GI and see if the band went back into place. If it does, he said they can start to slowly refill it. If it doesn't, looks like I'm having it removed. He questioned me as for my reasons for wanting the band over another procedure. (btw - my new doc isn't who did the surgery as I moved to a different state about a year ago). I think he would rather not put a band back in, though it is up to me. He mentioned a sleeve which I don't know much about but will have to research. Also said I could just take the band out and have nothing.

I'm not worried about the surgery itself (other than financial), but I feel like the slippage was definitely my fault..not feel..it is. I know it was in the right place after the surgery.

I've not been through this personally, but from reading on OH, yahoogroups, lbt for the past 2 + years, I know it is possible for slips to happen.

And an unfill and rest is often all that is needed. Do your best to use your bandster skills and knowledge to control your intake and make good food choices.

I'm not sure why your new surgeon is suggesting removal if the band won't go back into place on it's own after a period of rest. Sometimes they can reposition the band and and you're good to go again. I would question the choice to remove the band. However, in case a removal is indeed necessary, I'm glad you're going to research the sleeve. I think I would have a sleeve if my band and I failed each other.

Best of luck to you!

I had the same symptons you did... acid reflux. After a couple doctors visits and an esophogram they determined my band had slipped. The doc to most of the Fluid out for 4 weeks. I went back (gained 8 lbs) and he put a little back in. Fast forward 4 weeks, I had another fill yesterday (gained 6 lbs). He said one more fill should get me back to good restriction. My problem during this whole "un-banding" was being able to control what I was eating. I didn't have any restriction and seemed to want to snack constantly. I'm on liquids today and soft foods tomorrow. I just need to readjust my thinking on what I'm eating!

Good luck to you!

Well, this is my greatest fear, and honestly I have not been anywhere near perfect either! I know if it was me I would want a sleeve if I needed another surgery. I couldn't go without anything or I would gain back what little I have lost so far. BTW I was banded on may 19th, 2011. Good luck, and hopefully it will shimmy its way back into place! Please keep us posted on your progress. :)

I am looking for some thoughts on my situation. I have had some problems just in the past 2-3 weeks with stomach feeling bloated, some discomfort but not sharp pain, just sort of dull. Then last week I started to get throat tightness.

My appt w/surgeon was this morning. He was upset w/me because I gained weight. He thinks that I am just too tight. He removed some fill (he doesn't tell you anything about what band you have & how much can go in). He ordered an x ray and now I wait for the office to call.

Just a routine x ray but they took it of both chest & stomach. So can you actually see a slippage, erosion, dilated pouch, etc. in a routine x ray? Everything I have read indicates most people have an upper GI xray or endoscopy. Surgeon does not do fills w/fluoroscope as I've seen here. Just confused & hoping nothing is wrong other than I needed that unfill to let things settle down.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - I am brand new here.

An x-ray should be able to tell your doctor where your band is positioned and if it has slipped. Just like any other profession, every doctor has a slightly different approach to the lap band. My doctor doesn't do fills under flouro either, he just feels for the port and then sticks the needle in. My doctor also doesn't tell me how much is in my band unless I ask, and even then he doesn't like telling. His reason is because everyone is different and where someone might have good restriction at, say, 4cc's, someone else might need 8. He doesn't want us to get all caught up in how much is in the band, rather paying attention to our bodies signs and letting our bodies tell us when our band is too tight, too loose, or just right. Not fully knowing your situation, I would be inclined to go with the doc and say that you're just too tight. Last year when I was too tight I had all the same symptoms you do, and I could hardly eat a thing. Having just 0.5cc's taken out made a world of difference! It's funny, when I was too tight I also gained weight because the only stuff I could get down were slider foods, and they aren't always the healthiest! Keep us posted on how it goes!

An x-ray should be able to tell your doctor where your band is positioned and if it has slipped. Just like any other profession, every doctor has a slightly different approach to the lap band. My doctor doesn't do fills under flouro either, he just feels for the port and then sticks the needle in. My doctor also doesn't tell me how much is in my band unless I ask, and even then he doesn't like telling. His reason is because everyone is different and where someone might have good restriction at, say, 4cc's, someone else might need 8. He doesn't want us to get all caught up in how much is in the band, rather paying attention to our bodies signs and letting our bodies tell us when our band is too tight, too loose, or just right. Not fully knowing your situation, I would be inclined to go with the doc and say that you're just too tight. Last year when I was too tight I had all the same symptoms you do, and I could hardly eat a thing. Having just 0.5cc's taken out made a world of difference! It's funny, when I was too tight I also gained weight because the only stuff I could get down were slider foods, and they aren't always the healthiest! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Klariade - THANK YOU for the quick reply. I'm worrying myself silly over this so it helps to know someone has experienced the same. But now that I've been scared - I will be staying on track much better. It's very discouraging to gain weight and I had been doing so good. My loss was 72 lbs then gained almost 20. I see you are doing awesome. Congrats!

I just found out today that my band has slipped. The NP removed all the Fluid and told me to stick to a liquid diet to help things heal. I said for how long? She said as long as you can. I will have my next appt. in 3 weeks to see if it has slipped back. Were you instructed to follow a liquid diet?

Why do you think the slip was your fault? I think mine slipped from the vomiting I have had when I have been too tight. I am really bummed about the slip. : (

Keep me updated on your progress.

Joan

I think a sleeve is a better choice.. I regret my lap band decision!! Wish I would have gone a different route! G'Luck to you.. Wish I had a Dr that would take my insurance.. I have been abandoned by my Dr... no fill in 2 yrs.. what a waste!

Surgeon's office said the x ray shows the band is in proper position! That's the good news & a scare enough to make me go back to eating like I had been, for sure. I can also tell the ease of the restriction is a lot better. But my abdomen still has a weird feeling mostly like bruised I guess. Maybe a result of him doing taking some out on Monday. Taking it easy on what I'm eating hoping it will settle down.

If it isn't better within a week I plan to call the office & let them know. I would feel a lot better if I had the fluro or endoscope.

Update!

After all of my fill was taken out all of the reflux symptoms disappeared, which has been very nice. Obviously I was overfilled. I was at about 7.25 out of a large 10 cc band. The reflux started when I went up to 7.

So anyway, yesterday I had another upper GI. The band went back into place!!!! No surgery needed!! My doc refilled me up to 4 and said we won't go as high as 5 or 6.

Update!

After all of my fill was taken out all of the reflux symptoms disappeared, which has been very nice. Obviously I was overfilled. I was at about 7.25 out of a large 10 cc band. The reflux started when I went up to 7.

So anyway, yesterday I had another upper GI. The band went back into place!!!! No surgery needed!! My doc refilled me up to 4 and said we won't go as high as 5 or 6.

Wow, I am so glad to hear the band can go back into place. I have had some issues with keeping things down and eating the wrong things when I have trouble eating normal, healthy foods and feared that I could have slipped. My appt with the dr is Friday and my dr office prefers to take a little out before x-raying to determine if the insides are okay. I am afraid that my bad habits could have caused damage but if they just take some Fluid out, I may not have proper restrictions and eat other bad foods. This is a trip...but I still tell folks I dont regret my little friend the band :-}. Thanks for sharing your story!