Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Bandsters who are also into CrossFit?

At the suggestion of a friend who heard my rant about crappy gyms full of mirrors where you go and zone out on treadmills and move a few weights, he recommended I look into CrossFit. This week I joined and really enjoyed the workouts, the varied activities, and the people. No mirrors... just people at different levels of experience working on the same goal... to be the most fit they can be in every area possible.

I ran and didn't run out of breath.

I did pullups and pushups for the first time EVER.

I learned how to jumprope at the age of 27.

I am very excited for this journey and the friends I will make here. Its not for everyone but is great for those who want a place to exercise with no judgement and that demands alot of effort.

The trainer and I came to an agreement. I will not obsess over the scale anymore. I will focus on the body fat percentage as a measure of my progress.

Any other bandsters who are Crossfitters as well?

I would be if there was a convenient group a.d I wasnt about to have a surgery! Crossfit is my kind of thing.

At the suggestion of a friend who heard my rant about crappy gyms full of mirrors where you go and zone out on treadmills and move a few weights, he recommended I look into CrossFit. This week I joined and really enjoyed the workouts, the varied activities, and the people. No mirrors... just people at different levels of experience working on the same goal... to be the most fit they can be in every area possible.

I ran and didn't run out of breath.

I did pullups and pushups for the first time EVER.

I learned how to jumprope at the age of 27.

I am very excited for this journey and the friends I will make here. Its not for everyone but is great for those who want a place to exercise with no judgement and that demands alot of effort.

The trainer and I came to an agreement. I will not obsess over the scale anymore. I will focus on the body fat percentage as a measure of my progress.

Any other bandsters who are Crossfitters as well?

I am not in a Crossfitters group, but I have started doing more crosstraining by doing a bootcamp type workout 2xs a week. Last year all I did was cardio cardio cardio. I have now been doing more strenghth training and I have gained weight.I think it is muscle, but my doctor isn't so convinced. My last appointment he had accused me of "cheating". Yes, my carb intake has increased, but I burn off the fuel with in the hour of consuming. According to the trainers, we need the carbs for fuel. I am doing cardio 3xs a week (running 2xs a week 3.5 mile each, spin once a week for an hour) and strength training (bootcamp) 2xs a week. So should I be loosing weight? Or staying the same, but more tone? CONFUSED?????

I had been at the same weight, 306 for almost 3.5 months. Started CrossFit and immediately started dropping. I hit twoderville this week at 299.6.

I am now concerned about the threads I saw on abdominal exercises and port injuries. My port is right on my front side in a crease in my fat. My core workouts frequently give me a dull achy pain around the port.

It could just be the pinch that's causing the irritation.

I had been at the same weight, 306 for almost 3.5 months. Started CrossFit and immediately started dropping. I hit twoderville this week at 299.6.

I am now concerned about the threads I saw on abdominal exercises and port injuries. My port is right on my front side in a crease in my fat. My core workouts frequently give me a dull achy pain around the port.

I just wondered if you're still here and if you're still CrossFitting... I have been doing CrossFit for about a year now - and when I eat the Paleo diet I lose some but since it's so restrictive I haven't been able to do it month after month. I'm way stronger and can do a lot more since starting Cross Fit but still feel so ridiculous being the "fat" crossfit girl and also know I'm not getting it's full benefits since I haven't lost a lot of weight so I'm finally doing this. I'm excited too. I just wondered how long I'd need to wait from getting my surgery (the 29th) to going back? My dr. suggested a full month because of the liquid diet and the surgery itself so I'm taking the months of June and July off but also really nervous to start back and tear something ;)

Just wondered how your experience was going since you last posted about it last year.

I just wondered if you're still here and if you're still CrossFitting... I have been doing CrossFit for about a year now - and when I eat the Paleo diet I lose some but since it's so restrictive I haven't been able to do it month after month. I'm way stronger and can do a lot more since starting Cross Fit but still feel so ridiculous being the "fat" crossfit girl and also know I'm not getting it's full benefits since I haven't lost a lot of weight so I'm finally doing this. I'm excited too. I just wondered how long I'd need to wait from getting my surgery (the 29th) to going back? My dr. suggested a full month because of the liquid diet and the surgery itself so I'm taking the months of June and July off but also really nervous to start back and tear something ;)

Just wondered how your experience was going since you last posted about it last year.

I will be leaving my CF Box in a few weeks for monetary reasons. I just had $2000 in dental work done and need to pay off the credit card. But... I have some equipment at home so I can keep up my WODs.

CF has been the most amazing thing for me. Myself and a gastric sleeve patient are the two largest people in the box in terms of extra fat/skin. In the 10 months I have been there I have improved alot. I can do things I never thought possible. I ran a 5k a few weeks ago and kept up with others in the box. I snowboard and mountain bike. Both things made possible by the gains in aerobic exercise and coordination that I developed with CF.

I have never had a problem after my last post in terms of hurting my port. Just had a fill in April and the doc said everything was great.

When I am commited and do CF workouts combined with a good paleo-zone diet, balanced with about 3 blocks per meal and 1-2 blocks per snack I lose weight quickly. My blocks are adjusted for a carbophile so I eat half the carbs of most other people.

Most surgeons will reccomend staying away from CF for several months after surgery. Let your surgeon know exactly what CF is and show him a video of how hard you push yourself. Doing this while your band and port are healing can cause some major problems. The movements we do are natural but rarely done with such intensity. You do not want to rip anything.

Your box should be able to give you some less intense and modified programming during the healing process. Maybe some shorter runs, rings dips, ring rows, jump ropes, and basic low-weight lifting. I would refrain from any situps and heavy lifts during your recovery. Remember that even though you feel you can handle it, by increasing your heart rate you increase your blood flow and could rupture something you don't want to rupture.

Welcome to the band family! Its really nice on the other side.

Is your name Jack? Jack, thanks for your response. (I'm Tara btw) I won't be talking to my surgeon until the last week of June but thanks for the great ideas and I'll be sure to address them and see what he says. I'm curious if it's not to rude of me to ask what your box charges - I pay $100 monthly which about killed me at first but now I'm just used to it. However there are other boxes around my city (3 to be exact) popping up and they seem a lot cheaper. I'd consider changing just for $$ but I have had such great support and friends at this one that I hate to leave. However, I have only told one trainer why I'm taking a few months off. Other than him and my husband I haven't told a soul about the surgery. Does your box know about you and the other guy? Do they seem supportive? Mine seemed disappointed that I wasn't giving Paleo a better try (I did 3 full months with no mistakes and lost 20 lbs but it was so just hard wah wah wah). I wish I knew better what to expect when I go back. I've always had to modify my exervised since I can't even do a pushup or pullup but I'm hoping with weight loss and the band that I'll some time weight less enough that I can gain the muscle to do those things. I am so glad to hear about your success - both with CrossFit and with lap band. I feel a little lonely and like this isn't the "exercise worlds" version but neither is being the fat chick. One reason I've loved CrossFit is they've never seemed to judge me - until now when I'm taking a break - I feel like I'm letting everyone down. Sorry to put that all out there just musing...

Did that continue to be a problem for you or did it get better?