Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some help from the ladies, please?

MsJoy was banded on 12/28/05. While in the recovery room she began bleeding and she assumed it was her period. Since her surgery she has had a bit of bleeding almost every day. Not a lot...she uses a light days pad most of the time. She just never knows when it may come around. Her OB/GYN doesn't seem that concerned about it. Her next Dr appointment isn't for another week. Any suggestions or thoughts from any of you ladies?

Many of us have had our cycle go out of whach after surgery. Some of us stopped, or missed one, or started bleeding abnormally.

If her OB/GYN isn't concerned, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I imagine that it will even itself out as all of the anesthesia is getting out of her body and she starts getting all of her nutrients in every day.

Good luck to her!

Well, you are 49 so I assume MsJoy is around your age? Was she experiencing any pre-menopausal symptoms prior to her banding? This, combined with the trauma of surgery, the loss of fat (in which estrogen is stored) could be contributing to her irregularity? Just some thoughts. Good that she see the doc next week!

I feel like my hormones are all out of whack. I'm still regular as rain (I'm 40) but I suspect my weight loss is making my PMS symptoms (fatigue, irritability) a bit worse. My physical symptoms (cramping, flow) are the same as always. I swear that weight loss contibutes. But that's a completely subjective opinion. No science behind that one!

She may need another month or two to get back on track after surgery. Did her Ob/GYN think it was surgery trauma related? hmmmm....

Mine has been wacky too. I go from normal to sick as a dog since surgery. I'm glad she went to the gyno.... SMART LADY !!!!!

She might want to write things down on a calendar so she can show her doctor at her next visit.

Hugs !!! Your such a nice hubby :)

Thank you, ladies. After 30+ years of marriage, there isn't much that we haven't seen or discussed, but this has me concerned. Your advice and experiences are greatly appreciated.

I got my not so friendly friend right after surgery too. Just another one of those fun things about being a chick. Good thing she talked to the OB/GYN.

Other than annoying as heck, it sounds as tho all is well.

And congrats to the Missus on getting banded!!!!

(edit: ay god, I'm so frazzled at work I put "contracts on being banded" instead of congrats...I'm a contracts person at work....I need a vacation.....)

Randy, my cycle is like clockwork. But it stopped for an entire cycle after banding. Tomorrow will be one month since band removal, and my period is 2 weeks late. I asked my docs, and it's completely normal. I'm not sure about the breakthrough bleeding, but my doc said a messed up menstrual cycle is fairly common after weightloss surgery. WARNING: I still got the PMS on time, but it's lasting way longer than hubby knows what to do with! Be patient and kind or she may eat you. Grrr.

Was she regular BEFORE the surgery? I never have been - my body has so much fat that ALL the hormones get stored somewhere - and I have to induce that joyous event.

Of course - I seldom if ever did for many years (I mean GEEZ - who WANTS to have cramps?) After several years with a Bi-Annual period, I started spotting every day...

The cure was evil - but I suppose better than risking cancer or any of the other icky things that can happen when the bod ceases to function normally. Anyway - if she was all normal before - then it's probably just the fat/hormone storage thing. My doc told me that when I went in - one of the first questions she asked was if I had lost weight.

Hope it all evens out, soon...

Thanks Karen, and congratulations to you on those 74 lbs......

Gosh thanks Randy! I actually had to go to my calculator to confirm the total of 74. That number just looks too large to be believed!! Wow.

I still have a loooooong way to go and am in quite the stall right now....but it's all part of the process I think.

Well, a week after my banding I was in the ER having an emergency D&C. I got out of whack and stayed that way. I finally had to have a uterien ablation in July to take care of it.

Hugs to her, hope she's feeling better!

Just a bump and an update. She's still at it. Some days no, but most days yes. Going for a biopsy on the 9th with her GYN. I'm wondering, can't they do a scope thing or a dye/xray thing? I'm of the opinion that her body is trying to flush something out??? This is really getting old.......

I think it is great she is going to get checked out. Too many times we think everything is band related, and that isn't always the case. Good luck and let us know how she does. :biggrin1: