Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about what food to eat.. 8th day post op June 2011 bandsters Help!

Hello Bandsters! Im new to this forums and Im glad I found it. I started reading some of the posts and I decided to make my own account. I know I will be here for a while lol! First Hello to June 2011 Bandsters! I got banded on: 06-14-11 and I am on my 8th day. I did the 1-3 day clear liquid and started yogurt on the fourth day.. I hope the yogurt is not too early. I want to know if anyone can give me suggestions of yummy food that I can eat now... like recipes, what kind of Soups, blended food, etc. Im supposed to be on full liquid diet for two weeks. So far I have already lost 5 lbs and Im soooo happy!

And last question, When can I eat cheetos puff? Cause I loooove cheetos puff! :P

Im so excited to know what you are all gonna say... Thanks in Advance!

Im schedule to have my surgery on June 30th, I must say I have researched for a year before making my decision, Why so long well Im a ER nurse and I see so many people come into the ER with nausea and vomiting and abd pain...why... Because they dont stick to the prescribed diet ! Give yourself time to heal.... follow what the after are diet prescribes and believe me you will not have all the complications that many Lapband patients have...good luck and welcome!!!

Wow, only 3 days of liquids? Lucky! My doc has me on two WEEKS of liquids post-op, two weeks of mushies, THEN onto solids. How does your doctor define "liquids" vs "full liquids" ?

I'm at home for the summer. Mom makes a lot of Soups (sopa de albondigas, chicken Soup, beef Soup, frijoles, and on and on). So long as they are "clear" (not creamy or "smooth"), I'm allowed to have the broth. While I am sick and tired of broths only (yes, with Protein shakes), I'm at least thankful for different tastes. Maybe you could find soups to make also?

By the way.. I got banded the day after you! We are very close in our journeys :)

My doc. said liquids for one week, mushies for one week and then solid food. I had no problems. I ate a lot of cottage cheese and apple sauce when I was on mushies. Mashed potatoes and refried Beans are ideas too. My suggestions have lots of carbs, but now is the time for healing, not weight loss. Once your on solids I highly reccomend a low carb diet. Congrats on your surgery!

I was banded on June 8th and I'm still in my liquid phase. Right after surgery I had to do 5 days of Water only (no broths or Soups either), then I was able to start adding in Protein Shakes. I'm almost done with the 2 weeks of shakes & I'm dying to put something in my mouth and chew it lol. I go to the Dr's on monday and will be able to start my mushy food phase. Never in my life have I looked forward to cottage cheese & tuna so much in my life!! Even in the mushy food phase my Dr has me staying low carb. It is best to follow any guidelines your Dr has laid out for you, each one is different in what they want us to do directly after surgery.

Good Luck!

Full liquids are still liquids-- the only difference is that you can't see through them. I ate Soup with no chunks-- Tomato Soup, butternut squash soup, broccoli cheese soup (where the broccoli was too small to chew). Yogurt and Protein shakes I think were considered Clear Liquids by my doctor. But that was it.

Mushies for me added in refried Beans, chili that was blended until it didn't require chewing, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese (I made a ricotta cheese/cottage cheese seasoned base with marinara on top, baked, that was good and suggested on this board). I think I also did a baked "quiche" at this stage-- beaten egg with cottage cheese, baked.

You need to check with your doctor's office. I can't believe there are still surgeons sending people home without detailed diet lists. If you haven't already, recheck any paperwork you got from your support staff to see if it contains directions on your diet.

As for the Cheetos Puffs-- well, I wouldn't add them back in for at least 6 months. Don't get me wrong-- I think people can have non-nutritious food on occasion and be fine. However, I worry that if you're really concerned about how soon you can eat something that has ZERO nutritional benefit after having weight loss surgery, that you are setting yourself up to struggle to lose. But if you want to kickstart your loss even before your band begins to help you, I'd commit to healthy eating. You can always add the treats back in later after you've developed some new habits.

I was banded June 8th, and I'm still in the 'mushies' phase. I really enjoy cottage cheese, and sometimes I blend it with a little salsa to make it interesting. I find that the amount of Protein in it is really satisfying. I know you're still on liquids though, I was allowed mushies after the first week...

So that being said, I suggest sugar free pudding. I even blended a little Protein powder into my pudding to make it a little more nutritious. I also eat a lot of Tomato Soup with some Protein Powder (tasteless) blended in. Puree'd oatmeal and bananas for Breakfast.

I find that putting my Protein shakes in the blender and adding fruits and veggies to them makes them more nutritious and more interesting.

Hope that helps!

Some of the Grocery Stores carry Soup in a box, that pours out of the box, and you refrigerate the rest. (CAN'T THINK OF THE NAME.) One of them is Red Pepper Soup. FANTASTIC !

Sometimes there in the Organic Area. Just a smooth silky soup, no vegetables in the stock at all. They have a variety. Mushroom was good too.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I love this forum! Everyone are so friendly. :lol:

I think I didnt explain myself clearly on my last post... I was on Clear Liquids for 3 days and started drinking liquid yogurt the 4th day but Im still on liquids. I drink clear liquids still and drank Protein light shake on the 4th day. I thought yogurt was fine on the 4th because my nutritionist said that its ok to start on the 4th day. I had no problems drinking anything till I changed my Protein Shake from Atkins to Muscle Milk light... I was sooo bloated yesterday and felt like theres something stuck at my chest. I usually just drink 2 Protein shakes and drank 3 yesterday. I didnt eat my jelo or drink yogurt today. All I had the whole day is half of Protein Shake this morning, a small bottle of gatorade, 4 bottles of Water and a Soup.

I got worried and called Dr. So and he told me that its normal to feel like this and what I need to do is just walk it around and buy gasx strips. It actually helped a lot! Now I feel a lot more better thou I still feel that something is stuck in my chest. I know I should be on full liquid now but I just hate the feeling so Im planning to just stay clear liquids till tomorrow and walk a lot more. Now Im worried when I start on eating mushy food :unsure:

P.S Oh yeah... I weighed myself today and lost 7 lbs in total!!!! I am on my 9th day.. so happy!

Full liquids are still liquids-- the only difference is that you can't see through them. I ate Soup with no chunks-- Tomato Soup, butternut squash soup, broccoli cheese soup (where the broccoli was too small to chew). Yogurt and Protein shakes I think were considered clear liquids by my doctor. But that was it.

Mushies for me added in refried Beans, chili that was blended until it didn't require chewing, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese (I made a ricotta cheese/cottage cheese seasoned base with marinara on top, baked, that was good and suggested on this board). I think I also did a baked "quiche" at this stage-- beaten egg with cottage cheese, baked.

You need to check with your doctor's office. I can't believe there are still surgeons sending people home without detailed diet lists. If you haven't already, recheck any paperwork you got from your support staff to see if it contains directions on your diet.

As for the Cheetos Puffs-- well, I wouldn't add them back in for at least 6 months. Don't get me wrong-- I think people can have non-nutritious food on occasion and be fine. However, I worry that if you're really concerned about how soon you can eat something that has ZERO nutritional benefit after having weight loss surgery, that you are setting yourself up to struggle to lose. But if you want to kickstart your loss even before your band begins to help you, I'd commit to healthy eating. You can always add the treats back in later after you've developed some new habits.

Yeah I know... my nutritionist told me its ok to have yogurt the 4th day.. I started reading the forums and found out that some didnt drink it till a week later.. I was bloated yesterday from the Protein shake and got so paranoid and called the doctors office upset lol! But he told me supposedly its ok.. people telling me different things.. Im kinda getting confused so I stopped the yogurt and its my 9th day and Im still in clear liquids haha... so scared to feel bloated again or mess up my band. :rolleyes:

Plus I dont mind being in liquids for a while as long as I will be ok.. its my 9th day and I already lost 7 lbs! Yey! My only problem is my obsession with the scale lol ....................... and sucked on a cheetos puff... ( HeyJust wanted to taste it k lol :P)

I will agree to be in liquids forever as long as I have cheetos puff lol!

If you have a JONES for those puffs, (HABBIT) I hate to tell you,,,, but your going to have to lose the itch, and find something else.

Now before you stop swearing at me, the only reason that I say that, is because if I were to tell you to just cut back ?

You will never give them up, and that's not that good for weight loss.

Ask your Surgeon if there O.K. to have.

It's still your business though.

Hello Shirley! Thanks for the sisterly love.. I will work hard to do something about those cravings... Its been my weakness :(

Hello Shirley! Thanks for the sisterly love.. I will work hard to do something about those cravings... Its been my weakness :(

Sorry to be the bummer....... It's just junk food has to go ! For me it was chips. It took a while, maybe 6-8 weeks to lose the itch. 6 months later ,I don't even give them a thought.. You will get through this or,,, hang on to them for a once in a while thing.

Now that's up to you,,,, but ! They really should go.

Good Luck, Shirley.

I was banded June 16th and I am supposed to be on full liquids but was having much difficulty this last week so was on clears for most of the time. The couple of times I had Soup, I had some split pea soup because it is really high in Protein (as far as Soups go). Tonight I am going to have some from Fresh and Easy: 1 cup (which is more than enough if I can get that down) is 140 calories with 9 gms of Protein!! Just an idea. :)

I developed an amazing "mushie" food for myself. In my mush phase I am allowed 3 servings of crackers/melbatoast/or dry toast. This is my personal fav I created!

2- 3oz cans of chicken breast

1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese

5 small mozz balls

2 tbs philly cooking sauce- italian herb and cheese

2 tbsp creamed spinich

1/2 cup Pasta sauce

Mix chicken, cottage cheese, mozz balls, philly sauce, and spinich. I mash it with a fork really good and place in small 1 cup ramikens. I top each one with Pasta Sauce. Bake on 350 for 15-20 mins or until it bubbles. I then eat it with a fork alone, or with crackers or dry garlic toast.

Makes 2 servings.

Per serving break down- Minus bread/crackers

154 calories

6.2 g fat

18.4 g Protein

6.8 g carbs