Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

calorie intake post surgery

I've been tracking my daily liquid and Protein intake, and am losing fine, and feeling great. But then my daughter asked me how many calories a day I am taking in, and in reviewing my logs, I am only taking in under 600 calories a day!

Is that going to mess up my metabolism? I'm only 3 weeks post surgery-- will it all work out with increased portions over time? (I'm presently at 3-4 oz. meals, with Liquid Protein in between).

That is probably going to be ok until u start more solids. I was only getting in that much at that point too. I am now 13 months out and down 115 pounds, and 12 pounds below my doctors goal for me. It didn't mess up my metabolism. I have now been maintaining since april at between 1000 and 1200 cals a day. Good luck.

That is probably going to be ok until u start more solids. I was only getting in that much at that point too. I am now 13 months out and down 115 pounds, and 12 pounds below my doctors goal for me. It didn't mess up my metabolism. I have now been maintaining since april at between 1000 and 1200 cals a day. Good luck.

What a relief! Thank you so much!

And super congrats on your amazing success!

You are welcome and thank you too! Just follow the rules and don't eat if u aren't hungry, it will all even out. :)

I agree, I was around 600-800 when I was 3 weeks out. Now I shoot for between 1,000 and 1,200 a day. Congrats on your success!

I agree, I was around 600-800 when I was 3 weeks out. Now I shoot for between 1,000 and 1,200 a day. Congrats on your success!

My goodness. I have learned so much from this website. Thank you so much for letting me know that the low calories are OK at this point....so believable since you are doing so well now! Thank you thank you!

I drank 100% grape juice and apple juice to increase my calories during the liquid stage. My Dr. allowed 100% juice except for orange juice because it had too much acid. I was still under 1000 calories. I tried to get 800 calories a day.

I drank 100% grape juice and apple juice to increase my calories during the liquid stage. My Dr. allowed 100% juice except for orange juice because it had too much acid. I was still under 1000 calories. I tried to get 800 calories a day.

So your dr. stressed the importance of staying between 800 and 1000 a day for just the liquid stage (which was one week for me)? What stage are you in now, and what is your dr's guideline for each stage? Does your dr. cite metabolism issues for the calorie goals?

Thanks for any further info you can give me. I go for my one-month check up this Thurs., so would like to go with as much background as possible.

i am 4 days post op and don't want to drink anything. I'm just not hungry and I probably haven't been getting 400 calories per day, if that. I need to throw some apple juice in the mix. I didn't think about that being more calories. I hope I haven't messed up by not drinking much. I'm trying to choke down this Protein Shake now, but I just feel so bloated when I drink stuff. I think I still have the air in me that they pump you up with during surgery.....miserable! Love reading these forums....so helpful.

LBT Addict - My doctor did not give me a specific calorie goal. The nutritionist told me it wasn't unusual to eat less than 1000 calories in the liquid stage because it was hard to get the calories. I drank the juice to up my calorie intake because I didn't want to tank my metabolism. I just had my first fill last week. I am eating soft foods now. My doc didn't give me a calorie limit, but wants me to get 60 grams of Protein a week. I track my calories on livestrong.com. I've put 1400 calories as my target, although I'm usually under. I'm 6'-1" and 292 lbs.

Lea3277 - I struggled with the desire to drink as well my first week. I couldn't get 2 shakes down a day because I felt so full, so I did one shake and then made up the Protein with 1% milk and broth which was easier to drink. I upped my calorie intake with 100% grape juice because it's high calorie. I also drank 100% apple juice. It will get easier to drink with time. My nutritionist wanted me to get 8 cups of Fluid a day. Good luck!

i am 4 days post op and don't want to drink anything. I'm just not hungry and I probably haven't been getting 400 calories per day, if that. I need to throw some apple juice in the mix. I didn't think about that being more calories. I hope I haven't messed up by not drinking much. I'm trying to choke down this Protein shake now, but I just feel so bloated when I drink stuff. I think I still have the air in me that they pump you up with during surgery.....miserable! Love reading these forums....so helpful.

Well, this is 2 days since you posted this. Hopefully you are feeling much better now.

I too love this website. It has been a life-saver!

Best of luck to you!

:huh: I was wondering the same thing I am 2 weeks post op and excercise daily and my calorie intake is around 500 -550 per day-- i do feel full when I eat - trying to stick to mushie solids with high Protein. Is this going to cause me to stop losing weight?

:huh: I was wondering the same thing I am 2 weeks post op and excercise daily and my calorie intake is around 500 -550 per day-- i do feel full when I eat - trying to stick to mushie solids with high Protein. Is this going to cause me to stop losing weight?

I had my one-month check up today, so I asked my PA that exact question. Keeping in mind, all of our doctors and PAs have thoughts on the subject, this is just one of them:

My PA said that doing 500-600 during the first month is fine. In month 2, she said the normal suggested intake is 800=1200 calories. I told her I just couldn't imagine eating that much now and still lose weight.

She said 600-800 calories a day is categorized as "under dr. supervision," which I am. So if I am comfortable eating that amount even into month 2, it's OK to do so, as long as I'm not feeling hungry, or faint.

She said that when you eat less calories, your metabolism does slow down. But as you eat more over time, your body adjusts, and your metabolism increases. That it all averages out in the end, so don't worry about it. She said my primary concern is to get down the 64 oz of fluids a day, and the 80 grams of Protein a day.

I'm still trying to get my head around it. I have been on so many diets, and have always been told that your body can go into the starvation mode and your metabolism will be screwed up forever, if you don't eat enough calories.

I sure would like to see what other's dr's/PAs are saying.