Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6/11/11 New Here; Need All of Your Input

Good Morning New Friends,

I am so grateful to have found this forum! rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

I am a 50 year old relatively healthy married female. Nine years ago I had lap gastric bypass. When I began my journey there, I was 274 lbs and a size 22 about to be a size 24. I got down to a size 10-ish (I really am big boned!) Anyway, I find myself at size 16 and I really loathe my body....I am ready for lap band because I see the results seem FAR better than what I got out of gastric bypass. I don't know what I am more disappointed in...me or the procedure. huh.gif

I gained a TON of weight after I had knee surgery and the doc told me to basically sit down and be hold. I got FAT. Then I needed a 2nd surgery and was "grounded" again....but he told me it was OK to exercise...so I am slowly coming back....but the 40+ weight gain is brutal.

In the past, I did Lindora, Weight Watcher, Alli, all that stuff. No long term results.

Anyway, I have different insurance now and live in a different city. I am in Huntington Beach, CA and have an *** (Blech!) which is Tri Care Prime. I am scheduled to go to my new primary on 6/20.

I come from people who die in their 50's from heart disease complicated by type II diabetes. I do want to be one of those.

I don't smoke, I work out 4 days a week...I eat fresh fruits & veggies and little red weight. I take a bunch of supplements but not on any meds.

My questions to my new lap band friends:

1. What do I need to tell my new primary about lap band. I am determined to get it approved but your input will help me fast track it as much as possible

2. Are there certain Tri-Care Prime doctors in the OC who are likely to help a patient get lap band?

3. What's the difference between lap band and o-band? Is one better than the other?

4. Who are the best surgeons for this procedure?

I genuinely look forward to all your informed input and advice. Thank you.

APRPro4U

Good Morning...I just noticed your input from June and I felt that I need to comment on lapband. I was banded 12/31/09 and lost 60 pounds in less than 6 months...16 lbs. in the pre-op and then the rest from Protein shakes and high protein/low carb eating. The band has helped thousands of people in the world. Just in my therapy group, several people lost a lot in the first year...one lady lost 107 lbs. in 7 months and the band worked so well that she could just eat a few bites after each new fill. If I had it to do over again, though, I would just stay on the Atkins, which is very similar to the diet you go on with the band. Many people do very well with the band and feel the restriction and fullness with each fill...I never experienced restriction or fullness and hence, have gained more than 20 pounds back now just out of frustration and disappointment in myself and my inability to stay on the high Protein diet. The band is a tool...not a miracle cure; you cannot believe the advertisements and billboards about trying the band when you have dieted all your life and other diets have failed. My doctor tells me that MOST of his patients are success stories and that those who need more help just get the sleeve. You need to do what you feel is best for yourself; if you can, get on high Protein, low carb and try some of those Protein drinks like Myoplex lite---they are great mixed with ice and strawberries and blended with the hand blenders from Bed, Bath and Beyond. Good luck on your restart. For much better and more positive stories than mine, read the successful reports on this website. Many of the people have done so well and have so much to be proud of.

Thanks,

Grandy

Good Morning New Friends,

I am so grateful to have found this forum! rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

I am a 50 year old relatively healthy married female. Nine years ago I had lap gastric bypass. When I began my journey there, I was 274 lbs and a size 22 about to be a size 24. I got down to a size 10-ish (I really am big boned!) Anyway, I find myself at size 16 and I really loathe my body....I am ready for lap band because I see the results seem FAR better than what I got out of gastric bypass. I don't know what I am more disappointed in...me or the procedure. huh.gif

I gained a TON of weight after I had knee surgery and the doc told me to basically sit down and be hold. I got FAT. Then I needed a 2nd surgery and was "grounded" again....but he told me it was OK to exercise...so I am slowly coming back....but the 40+ weight gain is brutal.

In the past, I did Lindora, Weight Watcher, Alli, all that stuff. No long term results.

Anyway, I have different insurance now and live in a different city. I am in Huntington Beach, CA and have an *** (Blech!) which is Tri Care Prime. I am scheduled to go to my new primary on 6/20.

I come from people who die in their 50's from heart disease complicated by type II diabetes. I do want to be one of those.

I don't smoke, I work out 4 days a week...I eat fresh fruits & veggies and little red weight. I take a bunch of supplements but not on any meds.

My questions to my new lap band friends:

1. What do I need to tell my new primary about lap band. I am determined to get it approved but your input will help me fast track it as much as possible

2. Are there certain Tri-Care Prime doctors in the OC who are likely to help a patient get lap band?

3. What's the difference between lap band and o-band? Is one better than the other?

4. Who are the best surgeons for this procedure?

I genuinely look forward to all your informed input and advice. Thank you.

APRPro4U

Grandy,

Thanks for your input. It is very much appreciated. If I had experienced what you did, I would have gone back to my surgeon. Your story is not uncommon. The people I have known had to go back to their doctors for adjustments and ultimately were successful.

If I could do this without surgery, I would. I did Atkins and didn't lose a pound. My body refused to lose the weight. I have been on multiple "medical" weight loss programs to no avail. It stinks....so surgery is in my future.

Thanks for your kind words. Stay tuned to see how this journey turns out. :)

M

Good Morning...I just noticed your input from June and I felt that I need to comment on lapband. I was banded 12/31/09 and lost 60 pounds in less than 6 months...16 lbs. in the pre-op and then the rest from Protein shakes and high protein/low carb eating. The band has helped thousands of people in the world. Just in my therapy group, several people lost a lot in the first year...one lady lost 107 lbs. in 7 months and the band worked so well that she could just eat a few bites after each new fill. If I had it to do over again, though, I would just stay on the Atkins, which is very similar to the diet you go on with the band. Many people do very well with the band and feel the restriction and fullness with each fill...I never experienced restriction or fullness and hence, have gained more than 20 pounds back now just out of frustration and disappointment in myself and my inability to stay on the high Protein diet. The band is a tool...not a miracle cure; you cannot believe the advertisements and billboards about trying the band when you have dieted all your life and other diets have failed. My doctor tells me that MOST of his patients are success stories and that those who need more help just get the sleeve. You need to do what you feel is best for yourself; if you can, get on high protein, low carb and try some of those protein drinks like Myoplex lite---they are great mixed with ice and strawberries and blended with the hand blenders from Bed, Bath and Beyond. Good luck on your restart. For much better and more positive stories than mine, read the successful reports on this website. Many of the people have done so well and have so much to be proud of.

Thanks,

Grandy