Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting frustrated...

I just came back from my doctor's appointment. I was banded on 4/26/11. At my last appointment two weeks ago, I had lost 2 pounds, for a total of 17 pounds lost since the surgery. Today, I gained 2 pounds. SO...I asked my doctor a couple of questions:

1. Do I have any Fluid in my band?

2. What size band do I have and how much Fluid does it hold?

3. How much of a fill should I expect for my first fill?

I thought these were very reasonable questions and thought he'd actually be glad that I've been doing research and had questions to ask him (since I normally don't ask questions). I've been reading so many posts saying that a lot of people started to gain at the 6-week mark because there's no restriction and they are starting to eat "normal" food. Imagine my shock when my doctor started to lecture me about how I should be doing more to lose weight without worrying about fluid and the size of my band!

He did agree that it was time for a fill, but he never answered my questions. He said that I do have fluid in my band, but didn't tell me how much. He said I have a "normal" size band. And when I told him that a friend of mine had 5.5 cc's added on her first fill and that I thought that was a lot, he said, "Everyone is different and you can't get so hung up on the amount of fluid in the band. If you aren't going to do the work, it doesn't matter about the fluid in the band. You need to get back on course and reduce your portions."

I was really frustrated when I left his office. I knew that I was going to gain this week because I could tell that I was not having any trouble eating, so I knew my portions were too large. But I have started to exercise and I feel so good...so much better than I have felt in a long time. I had a hiatal hernia fixed during my surgery and I was sore up until about last week. I have only been able to really exercise in the past week.

So what do you all think? Do the details matter?

:blink: I absolutely belive that the details matter. You are the one with the band. Although it may be rather common for the doctor to know whom has what band (size) what if you decide to go elsewhere for your adjustments or move? How would you look not knowing information about the implant in your body.. I'm with you.

I just came back from my doctor's appointment. I was banded on 4/26/11. At my last appointment two weeks ago, I had lost 2 pounds, for a total of 17 pounds lost since the surgery. Today, I gained 2 pounds. SO...I asked my doctor a couple of questions:

1. Do I have any Fluid in my band?

2. What size band do I have and how much Fluid does it hold?

3. How much of a fill should I expect for my first fill?

I thought these were very reasonable questions and thought he'd actually be glad that I've been doing research and had questions to ask him (since I normally don't ask questions). I've been reading so many posts saying that a lot of people started to gain at the 6-week mark because there's no restriction and they are starting to eat "normal" food. Imagine my shock when my doctor started to lecture me about how I should be doing more to lose weight without worrying about fluid and the size of my band!

He did agree that it was time for a fill, but he never answered my questions. He said that I do have fluid in my band, but didn't tell me how much. He said I have a "normal" size band. And when I told him that a friend of mine had 5.5 cc's added on her first fill and that I thought that was a lot, he said, "Everyone is different and you can't get so hung up on the amount of fluid in the band. If you aren't going to do the work, it doesn't matter about the fluid in the band. You need to get back on course and reduce your portions."

I was really frustrated when I left his office. I knew that I was going to gain this week because I could tell that I was not having any trouble eating, so I knew my portions were too large. But I have started to exercise and I feel so good...so much better than I have felt in a long time. I had a hiatal hernia fixed during my surgery and I was sore up until about last week. I have only been able to really exercise in the past week.

So what do you all think? Do the details matter?

What do we think????? I can't speak for everyone but personally.....I THINK YOUR DOCTOR IS AN ASS!!!!! It's your body and your band and you should know absolutely everything you can about it! It's his responsibility to educate you so you can be as successful as possible.

Thank you both!! I seriously needed a reality check...he made me feel like such a failure...there is another doctor in the practice who does the fills, so I am thinking that I will ask my questions when I meet with him for my first fill (hopefully) next Thursday.

My doctor also suggested that I speak with the nutritionist, but she wasn't much help the last time I spoke to her...I KNOW what I have to do...I KNOW what foods are healthy...it's just a matter of DOING it!

Just my opinion, if you were able to lose weight and be healthy on your own...you wldn't have went w/ weight loss surgery. I was so frustrated and felt like I was truly doing my part, but I didn't feel like the band was do its part! So I talked to the PA who does the fills...It took three fills for me to quit feeling like I had the biggest joke played on me! I cld not feel any difference, I cld eat large portions & what ever I wanted....My PA told me slow & steady be patient the band would work we just had to do fills every 2 weeks.

I have a 10 cc band first fill was 2.5, second was 2 and 3rd was 1.5 I felt NOTHING until my 3rd...it was driving me crazy, now I have to take small bites, eat slow, no bread...I now feel like I have a chance at being successful.

You have to know what your working with, inside you, to know where you need to get to!

I would take all my questions in and meet with the other Dr!

good luck!

THANK YOU, KELLI! I'm so glad that I found this website because I never would have known ANY of this stuff if it wasn't for the information I have gathered here. I have my appointment for next Thursday and I definitely plan to ask my questions again until I get some answers. I'm sure there are people who don't care to know everything about the band as long as it's working...kind of like your car or your computer, right?! But I need to have all the information. It's just the way I am.

I just finished my lunch...and I'm working at the same time...I know we're told not to be distracted while eating, but life happens and lunch was at my desk today. Halfway through my meal, I realized that I wasn't paying attention to the size of my bites and I wasn't chewing thoroughly...in my mind this is a HUGE red flag indicating that I need to do what is necessary to make time for myself and sit down away from my desk and eat my lunch! AND that I need a fill to help me...not do the work for me, but help me.

When I came home on Wednesday from the doctor, I felt like I was being punk'd with this band. I have never felt the restriction that others report experiencing. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one going through this. And I'm really glad to know that there is hope...even if it takes a few fills...there is light at the end of the tunnel!!

I do understand what you are saying, and I also understand what your doctor was trying to say, although he wasn't doing a very good job of explaining it to you. My doctor didn't used to tell people what amount of fill they had, because they were always comparing their amount of fill to someone elses. It doesn't matter what someone else has, as everyone is different. A few people are able to lose all their weight with no fill at all. That isn't me though, and not you either. I DO think you need to know what size band you have. As far as moving, it's easy for the new doctor to see what amount of fill you have by removing it all. I hadn't been into the clinic for over a year, and since the band is somewhat osmotic (sp?), Fluid tends to go out over time, so he took it all out to see what I had left after a year. I now know how much fill I have, how much new fill is going in. I guess Doc has changed about telling people. I don't really care how much I have in there, only that whatever it is, that it's working. I've spent the last 3 months trying to get it right, and I hope it's good now for awhile.

Yes, I hate the lectures too, and sorry your doc was seeming to not be listening. I hope you can get it worked out. I will say that in the beginning I wanted to lose weight so bad, that I wanted my band really tight. Really tight didn't work. I really think I would have done better if I'd gone slower about getting fills, and may not have ended up 3.5 years later having gained all it back. I could have had it all lost after 2 years, had only lost one pound week.

That said, a few days ago I was wanting to quit. I got some good encouragement here to stick with it and not give up yet. I've been too tight for the last month and just had some Fluid removed yesterday. In 3 months of the "restart" I've only lost 15 pounds, but better lost than gained. I have had 7 adjustments in the last 12 weeks trying to get the right fill level, and I hope I have it now.

Good luck to you. I hope you can get a good level soon.

I remember when I came out if surgery I asked the Doc. what size band I had. He said a meduim size one...WTH?? I mean seriously-medium? Then I asked a different doc about fills and what size fill do they typically give the first time. He didn't wantto answer my question-WTH? But eventually told me around 2ccs. What's the BIG secret??!! It's MY body, My band, and I have a right to know what's inside of it! I plan on saying that the next time they are evasive with answers. I agree the nutritionist

I remember when I came out if surgery I asked the Doc. what size band I had. He said a meduim size one...WTH?? I mean seriously-medium? Then I asked a different doc about fills and what size fill do they typically give the first time. He didn't wantto answer my question-WTH? But eventually told me around 2ccs. What's the BIG secret??!! It's MY body, My band, and I have a right to know what's inside of it! I plan on saying that the next time they are evasive with answers. I agree the nutritionist

Opps got cut off from the last post1 I agree the nutritionist isn't telling me anything I don't already know. My next big step is excerise. I want to join a gym but I am not sure which one. I also plan to go in my pool to do some Water exercise.

Well... I hate that your doctor won't be up-front with you about your band and your fills, but even though his bedside manner is horrid, he is right that you need to do the work on your own right now. It's something none of us want to hear because we keep waiting and waiting for this surgery to help us out, but in reality we need to work hard to lose this weight. They say it's not a diet but it is- at least so far for me. So while I don't like how he spoke to you, I do think *what* he was saying was important to hear.

It sounds to me like your doctor is a bit of a bully. You have every right (indeed, a legal right) to know exactly what kind, size, etc. lap-band you have. Your doctor might be trying to help, but it seems to me that by not answering your questions, he's damaging your trust in him. If I were you, I would let him know that I wasn't happy with the way that appointment went--politely, but firmly. But then, I tend to be pretty assertive with doctors. . .

I'm with you, Lizzy. Bariatric physicians, like all other kinds, can be insensitive at times. Or, possibly, all the time. I am the curious type, too, and I want to understand what's going inside of me! My doctor said the same thing to me - don't get hung up on the number of cc's in your band. It's irrelevant. His point was that we're aiming for the right amount of restriction, regardless of the number of cc's in our band. I said, "I hear you, and I understand, but still, I would like to know...."

I have read this many times on this forum, and it's so true: although our experiences may be similar because we all have the band, our bodies are different and we are each on our own journey. I have failed at every diet imaginable, and I refuse to fail with the band. When you reach a good amount of restriction, you will know it. If you feel like giving up, imagine what your life would be like in 5 years, 10 years, etc. Don't give up! Write to the wonderful people here and get some support!

(Lizzy, not all of that was directed at you, but I just wanted to say that I agree with what you wrote!)

Jennifer

DITTO - he sounds liek an ass :angry:

What do we think????? I can't speak for everyone but personally.....I THINK YOUR DOCTOR IS AN ASS!!!!! It's your body and your band and you should know absolutely everything you can about it! It's his responsibility to educate you so you can be as successful as possible.