Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st Fill - Still Hungry & Frustrated

Just got my band 7/27/11. When you guys say no restriction, do you guys mean y'all can eat absoulutely anything without it getting stuck or caught up? Breads, Pasta, chicken, steak? Im just asking, just got mine done and Im still on liquids but wanted to know if there is any restriction in the beginning or the hole down there is the same size its always been till a fill

I noticed i can eat more if it is carby and less if it is proteiny. I have cut out most carbs except fruit and the scale is moving again.... May want to try that

I had my first fill exactly 4 weeks after my surgery - 4cc! And yet, nothing. 2nd fill one month after that, 2cc more. Started to have restriction, but only now and then. Had my 3rd fill the first of this month. Another 2 cc's for a total of 8 in 3 months.

Only now can I say that the band is doing it's job. Only now can I start to put in practice everything I have been taught about living with the band. I was banded 1/31/11, and it took this long to get here. And I am happy with the results.

I'd say my Dr. is aggressive. But it takes time to get to that point. Obviously different from person to person.

I go back to see him in 2 weeks. Will I get another fill? Depends on what I tell him, and he will know by seeing if I am loosing or not, and how much for the month.

The way I feel right now, I'm fine. MAYBE 1/2 to 1 cc more. We'll see how my weight loss is progressing.

I had my first fill exactly 4 weeks after my surgery - 4cc! And yet, nothing. 2nd fill one month after that, 2cc more. Started to have restriction, but only now and then. Had my 3rd fill the first of this month. Another 2 cc's for a total of 8 in 3 months.

Only now can I say that the band is doing it's job. Only now can I start to put in practice everything I have been taught about living with the band. I was banded 1/31/11, and it took this long to get here. And I am happy with the results.

I'd say my Dr. is aggressive. But it takes time to get to that point. Obviously different from person to person.

I go back to see him in 2 weeks. Will I get another fill? Depends on what I tell him, and he will know by seeing if I am loosing or not, and how much for the month.

The way I feel right now, I'm fine. MAYBE 1/2 to 1 cc more. We'll see how my weight loss is progressing.

Hi just reading your post just wanted to know how you doing now?

Honestly, as hard as it is, you need to stop comparing yourself to others. People lose weight at different rates and in the beginning it drove me INSANE. Having one fill is not going to magically take away your hunger. We have to work at this...Yes we may have been able to do this on our own, but obviously we couldn't keep it off or we wouldn't be where we were in the first place. The band helps us to keep it off. THAT is the key!!

Have faith in yourself and don't worry about everyone else. Exercise, eat less and eat healthy...you will lose. It took me 8 months for the "click" to happen. Trust me, you will do just fine, but you have to have faith in yourself and a huge dose of patience. This is not a magic bullet!

Also with only 65 lbs to lose, you may lose it slower than with someone who has over 100 lb. And at 2 months out, I may have been below 25 lb lost and I had much more than you to lose. (still have more than 65). I am guessing you were self pay? I'm not saying all self pays are, but I think with those who are self pay, go through the process so quick they don't have time to truly educate themselves on how the band really works. As opposed to with insurance a lot have to go through 6 month diet, I know that gave me time to come here and see how it actually works. I am in no way trying to offend the OP

I think you hit the nail on the head with the self pay comment-at least for me. I was so desperate to lose weight and once I finally decided "Ok I'm gonna just do it already!" That was it. It was like some one shot the gun and I was off for the race. I made my appointment with the doctor, and 2 weeks later I was getting surgery. I read the typical band 'instructions' about how it works, but just the BASIC of the basics. I thought that was all I needed to know. Until of course, I found this site and heard about what actual patients go through.

I'm so very grateful for this site and all the people on here who are willing to share their stories, concerns and questions!

I just got my first fill and had no restriction in my band prior to my fill!

Ask yourself these questions.

Are you just getting satisfied instead of full? You have to train your body and especially your brain to feel comfortable instead of full (that is the toughest part with this band for most to understand). My dietician and psychologist at Temple did a great job of explaining it to me prior to surgery! Aim for a NEW feeling of stopping with satisfied!

Are you following the 1/2 hr. Water before and wait 45 min. after you eat for water!!!!! At first I didn't do this and THIS makes all the difference in the world!!!

EAT Protein first!!!! and stay away from complex carbs!!! If you choose to eat them know eat them in moderation!

I am also working on my stress level (stress produces cortisol which has been linked to weight gain), and it burns out your Thyroid!!!

There are a lot more tips, a fill can take up to 3 weeks to work, and you might need several fills before feeling satisfied! I wouldn't give up on the band just be really aware of what you are eating and use this website, I also use myfitnesspal.com and track all that goes in my mouth!

Good luck,

Joleen

So this is the second time I have seen a post about it taking a few weeks for a fill to work....I dont quite understand this, and neither do a few other people who I have mentioned this too. Why would it take a few weeks for a fill to 'work' when the saline is and instant thing? Does that make sense? I'm just wondering what your doctor told you the reason behind this is. I just had my first fill almost a week ago and I could tell by the 3 day that I would need to go back very soon to get another fill. Should I wait? I'm afraid if I do, I will gain back some of the weight I have lost already.

Honestly, as hard as it is, you need to stop comparing yourself to others. People lose weight at different rates and in the beginning it drove me INSANE. Having one fill is not going to magically take away your hunger. We have to work at this...Yes we may have been able to do this on our own, but obviously we couldn't keep it off or we wouldn't be where we were in the first place. The band helps us to keep it off. THAT is the key!!

Have faith in yourself and don't worry about everyone else. Exercise, eat less and eat healthy...you will lose. It took me 8 months for the "click" to happen. Trust me, you will do just fine, but you have to have faith in yourself and a huge dose of patience. This is not a magic bullet!

So I just noticed your start and current weight...ASTONISHING!! Congrats on the weight loss. Truely an inspiration. I'm gonna go check out your blog and see what I can learn. I'm just starting out and hoping to succeed in my goal. Wish me luck!:D

Thanks for the kudos...I've worked hard for it! :)

Best of luck to you...I once was where you are and I am more than happy to help with anyone when it comes to support. That's one of the reasons I blog and blogging is what kept me sane and led me to meet some absolutley amazing women!!!

wow you at 146 doing good keep up the good work

Hi just reading your post just wanted to know how you doing now?

Right now I feel I am exactly where I am supposed to be. I feel the band is working the way I have always heard it should.

All the things that I have been told.....small bites, small portions, put fork down between bites, don't drink with meals, etc etc are happening naturally. I need to do those things. I don't measure my food, but if I did I would find the recommended portion size is all I can eat at any one sitting.

Last visit with the Dr., he agreed. No fill, come back in 2 months.