Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so, i am one of those people who hasn't told anyone about having the surgery yet. My surgery date is May 4th, and I am currently on day 7 of my pre-op diet. i knew the hardest part of the pre-op diet for me (well besides starving) would be getting it past my co-workers. AMAZINGLY, no one has yet noticed that i am only having veggies for lunch and Protein drinks throughout the day. I usually have a burger or burritto or fajita or something. Every once in a while we ALL order something, usually cuban food or pizza or atomic wings. (YOWZA, those things are awesome!!!!)

for some reason, we haven't ordered out in the past few days, everyone is kinda keeping to themselves or eating out with friends and no one has even noticed that i'm not actually really eating anything. I feel so sneaky. Hopefully, i can keep this up for just a few more days!

LOL! Have fun with your sneaky self! LOL!:D

LOL. I'm surprised none of them have asked you what is going on. Good luck with your sneakiness!

I KNOW! yep, still getting away with it. just had a delicious 100 calorie chocolate muscle milk light, made those straw sucking noises and everything and..no. one. noticed. :D

i am soo sneaky, sneaky

Hi, I just scheduled my surgery for the 27th of May. I am like you I won't be telling any of my friends but, one (the person I need to help me with my kids). I decided to do it over the summer so, I can deal with getting use to the band on my own. I just feel some of my friends (skinny and overweight) ones won't understand and think, I am taking the easy way out. And, I also, don't want eyes constantly on me asking me if I can eat that or looking at me with a fine tooth comb. I figure, it's going to be hard enough dealing with this on my own and taking care of my family. Having extra eyes will just make it worse. I will be doing what you will be doing. I don't feel I am taking the easy way out, I feel this is even harder, cuz we can't cheat without feeling the pain. Plus, I am diabetic so, I figure if it's an easy way out of having diabetes, then I have won!

I was so excited today to hear my HMO insurance approved the surgery. I am very excited about this journey and looking forward to buying some cute clothes! I am new so, if you need a friend. keep in touch!

so, i am one of those people who hasn't told anyone about having the surgery yet. My surgery date is May 4th, and I am currently on day 7 of my pre-op diet. i knew the hardest part of the pre-op diet for me (well besides starving) would be getting it past my co-workers. AMAZINGLY, no one has yet noticed that i am only having veggies for lunch and Protein drinks throughout the day. I usually have a burger or burritto or fajita or something. Every once in a while we ALL order something, usually cuban food or pizza or atomic wings. (YOWZA, those things are awesome!!!!)

for some reason, we haven't ordered out in the past few days, everyone is kinda keeping to themselves or eating out with friends and no one has even noticed that i'm not actually really eating anything. I feel so sneaky. Hopefully, i can keep this up for just a few more days!

Hi healthierme, i can certainly say that after 7 days (so far) on this liquid diet alone, i am certainly not taking the easy way out. I suppose there are 2 camps here, 1 that shouts from the rooftops that they have had the band, and 1 that tends to keep it secret. i don't see anything wrong with either camp. for me personally, i'm like you, it's nobody's business. this is for me. i had to make my own decision to do this and if someone else figures out that i'm losing weight and wants to know how i'm doing it i'm not going to lie to them, but i'm not going to publicize it either. if i can get through all of the liquid and mushy stages without spilling the Beans or having someone figure it out, i'll be home free i think. after that point, and probably 30 pounds when people start to notice, i will reconsider. but for now, this is my decision.

i wish you the very best of luck in your surgery. please keep us posted on your progress.

Do you have to take off of work for recovery time? Will they be asking why you are taking off of work? Either way, you make me laugh about your sneakiness, I wish I didn't tell anyone, but I couldn't keep my big mouth shut when it came to Easter brunch and all I could eat was broth! Good luck to you!

I'm taking a week off from work, but I guess people just assume I'm taking vacation. Nobody has asked me about what my plans are or where I might be going. I guess if they ask, I'll just tell them I'm gonna take a "staycation" and lay around my house for a week. that is the absolute truth, sorta kinda.B)

Only 5 more days of liquid diet....i think i can, i think i can, i think i can......

I'm reading this post and smiling because I didn't tell anyone for the first 8 months of my march to surgery. And, honestly, I liked having this secret that only my circle of doctors knew about. Once I got the approval from the insurance company, I was ready to tell all that needed to know. (Work, family, those I was choosing for my support team.) When i got closer to my leave date, more had to know.

Not telling anyone for so long was a HUGE part of my health care psychologist appointments. OMG. Every session. He did approve me after 3 sessions but we talked about it ad nauseum, I really think he didn't think I would tell anyone. I was worried about reaction when I did finally "come out" but everyone has been super supportive. I was glad that I waited because I didn't want to talk about it for months with all the questions about progress etc. It was the right decision for me. The approval put everything in motion.

Enjoy your private time with this. But I'll bet a year's pay when you do start telling people, the response will be good and even surprisingly supportive.

Just as an update, for anyone who is interested, I SAILED through the meeting with the awesome garlic bread and didn't take any. i had a salad with delicious tomatoes and cucumbers and no body seemed to notice that i didn't have the Pasta or 10 pieces of bread like i usually have. of course, it helps that i currently have a sinus infection and can't breathe through my nose, and therefore can't SMELL the delicious garlic bread, but i know that it's there and that's usually all it takes. i'm patting myself on the back.

4 more days of this pre-op diet....yay

I am pretty secretive about it. I only have told my mom and my girlfriend and her husband. Others that know Ill be missing from work I just told them I was having surgery and it was a female thing ohmy.gif

Well, you are female, and it is surgery, so....you're not exactly lyin' :D

Just as an update, for anyone who is interested, I SAILED through the meeting with the awesome garlic bread and didn't take any. i had a salad with delicious tomatoes and cucumbers and no body seemed to notice that i didn't have the Pasta or 10 pieces of bread like i usually have. of course, it helps that i currently have a sinus infection and can't breathe through my nose, and therefore can't SMELL the delicious garlic bread, but i know that it's there and that's usually all it takes. i'm patting myself on the back.

4 more days of this pre-op diet....yay

These posts are cracking me up. You are super sneaky! And have WAY more will power than me! I have been complaining about this stupid liquid diet to EVERYONE! Ha! Seriously... I haven't told many people. Just immediate family and a few coworkers (no secrets at my workplace.. they always find out). But so far I have received a lot of support, with the occasional "have you really thought this through?" But like you said, you're doing it for you, so who cares! But I totally agree... anyone who says this is the easy way out needs to talk to me. I'll set them up with a few boxes of Jell-O and Protein shakes and see how long they last! Ha!