Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery

Hi: I am going through my tests and evaluations and decided to come here to see what everyone was talking about. The more I read, the more discouraged I get. I hear a lot of negatives. Can anyone post something positive about getting the lap band so I don't chicken out and not get it???? thanks

Pam,

There are pros and cons to every issue and its best to be informed on both, so don't get too discouraged at the negatives. Just look at it as part of the overall picture. :)

Pros

Least invasive of all WLS

Reversible

Adjustable

Much shorter recovery period and return to normal activities

More likely you will be able to eat in a 'normal' fashion (depending on how tight you set your band)

Keep in mind that this Forum is primarily a support group for people with questions or problems. So the majority of posts will be from people who are having a problem of some sort. Most people who are having no trouble at all will be out living their lives, and won't be posting here, because they don't need to. For every post here that seems to be a problem, there will be dozens, maybe hundreds or even thousands of successful lap band people who never post here. It's the same on any surgery-based forum, so you need to keep things in that perspective.

As someone who has had a primarily positive experience with my lap band, I'm happy to speak up and give you my honest opinion: If you've explored ALL your weight loss options, and have decided you need some sort of surgical assistance losing weight, and if you feel the lap band is the right choice for you, then go ahead and have the surgery. I have zero regrets, other than that I didn't have this surgery years ago.

On the other hand, if you haven't researched everything available to you, if you only have a small amount of weight to lose, if you're not willing to be proactive in your weight loss, and if you're not willing to do the work it takes to make the most of the lap band, then lap band surgery may not be the right answer. You'll need to read everything you can find (and there are years' worth of posts here about banding, both pro and con), and make your own decision. Lap band is not for everyone, and it is definitely not a magic bullet.

I've been banded just about four months, and I've already lost about half the weight I want to lose. As of this morning, that's 73 pounds gone. I'm currently at a weight that is lower than I've seen in more than ten years, and I owe my weight loss to the band. Others who haven't been as successful as I have may have worked just as hard, but their journey with weight loss is specific to them. Everyone has a different experience, and the band doesn't work exactly the same for everyone. In my case, it's been a great tool to help me lose the weight I knew I needed to lose.

I hope this gives you some helpful infomation. I'm sure others will post and give you their thoughts.

Good luck, regardless of what you decide to do.

Dave

When I come on to this forum, I treat it like I am watching the evening news. Most of what you read is going to be negative but there is always going to be an uplifting story somewhere. It is just Human nature that you are going want to talk about the bad. People just don't share the good as much and they wants to share the bad.

As for my Journey, It has been one of ups and downs.

The Good things are:

1. I have lost 80lbs in 6 months.

2. I don't really think about food anymore

3. I am feeling great

4. It isn't has hard as I thought it was going to be.

Still I have times when some of the negatives you are reading about come into effect, but I would have the surgery again tomorrow.

Just remember that people that are Happy, don't need to get on the internet to tell people but if you are unhappy you are going to look in this forum for someone to share it with.

I love my band, I have had restriction since the very first day. A lot of people say they can eat as much as they ever could, but I could not begin to eat that much food. I had absolutely no problems with the surgery or afterwards except for some pain in my shoulders from the gas, oh, and some stuck episodes which I have pretty much gotten figured out.

The Pro's for me have been

I have lost 100 pounds in 9 months (one plateau for about 4 weeks)

My blood pressure is now normal

My blood sugars are now normal

My cloesterol is now normal

I sleep better

I feel marvelous

My knee pain is COMPLETELY gone.

My hip only bothers me at night when i sleep if I have been really really active.

I can cut my toe nails without holding my breath and coming up for air.

The first time I got on the eliptical machine i went 6 minutes and thought I was dying, had to quit.

Now... I kick that machines ass!!! Not really but I do 40 minutes, no problem. Honestly didn't think I could ever do that.

I am way more active and I can stay up past 10:00pm at night.

Honestly, can't think of a con.

Maybe, lack of Fiber so hard to go to the bathroom (but I've started taking Fiber and now that's fine)

Maybe, I can still eat Cookies ( but I like that I can still have some of the "forbidden")

Will Power... that's a con. It doesn't give me will power I have to come up with that myself (but really it does give me will power because it has motivated me so much that I find the willpower)

Head Hunger... there is a con. It can not conqure my head hunger.

Wouldn't that be great!

Good Luck.... learn how the band really works, get educated about it, and it will work for you! That is my best advice.

I couldn't be happier with my decision to have lap band. The pros outweigh the cons each and every day.

Looking back, it's hard to remember how all the excess weight interfered in my life. Knee pain, back pain, Migraines (okay - still have them, just not nearly as much). Barely able to buckle a seat belt in an airplane, heels hurt, clothes were "functional - not pretty". Ankle swelling, tiredness, feeling like a failure and out of control, not wanting to do or be able to do the things I enjoy, the disgusted looks, the comments...not to mention the increasing likelihood of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, etc. Among many others I can't seem to conjure up right now.

The few things I had to give up for lapband - soda, beer, any carbonation, switching meds (to liquid form at times) - are so minor they hardly register with me at a "con".

But the pros are absolute endless. Most importantly - I feel great! My BP and bloodwork are outstanding. I have energy, I work out, I eat better than I ever have in my life, it's fun to shop, I am doing things I've wanted to do for years, and loving life again. I am at a weight where I'm a normal BMI and the lowest since junior high. It's amazing how much my weight affected so many aspects of my life.

I agree with the other posters that people come here for many reasons and those that aren't having much/any trouble don't post often. I find myself not coming here as often. So, take everything you read with a grain of salt. Everyone's journey is somewhat unique. Find what works for you and commit to your decision. It may not be lapband, but whatever it is - give it your best shot!

I love these responses. I myself am going through the process of being banded. And these responses just renew my hope that I will be getting banded soon. I been through many ups and downs so i'm just ready! Congrats on all who have had such success on the band. :lol:

Oh, I dont know. I got banded, lost 120lb in 2 years easily eating a balanced diet from all food groups - gave up calorie counting and obsessing over this food regime or that forever, took up running and kept my weight off for another 3 years before being unfilled for another health issue. Only to find that I've magically transfomred into a sensible, balanced eater, a dedicted exerciser and have no trouble at all maintaining a BMI of 19 to 20 with my newfound moderate eating habits and sane approach to food. Good enough for you?

I cant think of one single negative thing about my personal journey, but then I had a very well behaved lapband, never have had any issues at all with it. Not everyone is that lucky but when it works, it really works well.

Hi: I am going through my tests and evaluations and decided to come here to see what everyone was talking about. The more I read, the more discouraged I get. I hear a lot of negatives. Can anyone post something positive about getting the lap band so I don't chicken out and not get it???? thanks

No. Everything negative you hear is true. I had mine in october of 2006. I lost 50 pounds, and most of my hair.

I'm only 15 pound down from my surgery weight right now.

Then gained most of the weight back, after sleepless nights of sitting up trying to keep down reflux acid.

Now, it is a daily battle of prilosec and tums, and waking up at night with acid. I can't eat vegetables.

Just the fatty/sugary stuff goes down.

You can't sleep, you can't function at work, and you need to throw up often. There is constant hurt.

I had an upper GI years ago, and all they could say was that a pill was stuck in the band area.

No more pills -- you have to crush them for the rest of your life. And they don't taste good, folks. Think about the

meds you have to take as you age.

It is not worth it. Find another support group and work out the weight issues with good people around.

Say no. The FDA should ban this proceedure.

Please don't start the email about how I need to see the doc. I've lived with this thing for 4 years and I know

all about it.

You need to take into account ALL opinions, negative or positive. But there is no reason to downplay

the negative aspects.

No. Everything negative you hear is true. I had mine in october of 2006. I lost 50 pounds, and most of my hair.

I'm only 15 pound down from my surgery weight right now.

Then gained most of the weight back, after sleepless nights of sitting up trying to keep down reflux acid.

Now, it is a daily battle of prilosec and tums, and waking up at night with acid. I can't eat vegetables.

Just the fatty/sugary stuff goes down.

You can't sleep, you can't function at work, and you need to throw up often. There is constant hurt.

I had an upper GI years ago, and all they could say was that a pill was stuck in the band area.

No more pills -- you have to crush them for the rest of your life. And they don't taste good, folks. Think about the

meds you have to take as you age.

It is not worth it. Find another support group and work out the weight issues with good people around.

Say no. The FDA should ban this proceedure.

Please don't start the email about how I need to see the doc. I've lived with this thing for 4 years and I know

all about it.

You need to take into account ALL opinions, negative or positive. But there is no reason to downplay

the negative aspects.

I thought the OP wanted to hear POSITIVE comments regarding the lapband. You shouldn't use your horror story to scare this person off from having surgery. Apparently you don't know EVERYTHING about the ban otherwise that pill wouldn't have got stuck in the first place as it is common knowledge that you should not take large pills with the band. You are correct in saying that they should know all the positives and negatives, but your symptoms are NOT normal or expected.

Random things from my weekend:

I was running up and down the street in front of my house playing with my daughters instead of sitting on the front steps watching them play.

I went to the movies and saved $10 by not buying a tub of popcorn and a gallon of soda.

My wife told me my tuxedo pants looked like clown pants on me an I had to be sure to keep my jacket on all night.

I ate a chicken sandwich too fast last night and got stuck. My daughter said "ooow.. dads throwing up". It wasn't that bad.. Just 9 year old drama. ;)

I had to wear pants to a party on a warm day because all of my shorts are too big.

Would I do this over again? 100x times YES !!

Even getting stuck I was thankful for. In the past I would have wolfed that sandwich down and probably went back for another before I even realized I had eaten enough. This time my "little reminder" kicked my butt and made me slow down and eat a proper amount for dinner.

This may not be the solution for all but I am sure grateful that I chose this.