Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goal question?

It seems like everyone on here has a goal between 150-175 lbs. Are you all giants or what?? To have a healthy BMI my goal has to be around 105-110 lbs. That seems very out of reach for me as it over 100 lbs. I would be happy at 125-130 but that would put me still in the overweight catagory-- barely but still overweight. I am short (4'11") but if my goal was 150 (seems more realistic-- I would be Obese! Does anyone get to goal?? And has anyone had a low goal like 105 lbs??

My surgeon asked what my goal weight would be -- I told him wherever I feel good at. I didnt have a number goal. I hope insurance doesnt require a certain goal that must be attained

I am 5'9", and I will be happy if I get to 200...although I'd love to get to 175 if I possibly can.. With my large frame, I don't know if 175is realistic or not. Goals are great to work towards, but I think I'm just going to enjoy the journey and appreciate the loss that I attain as I go.

Emily

I think for those that have struggled with obesity for this long, our goals are going to be on the higher end of the healthy scale. My surgeon thinks I should weigh 124 pounds, but the last time I weighed that much (which was about 18 years ago), I looked like a drug addict.

The best I ever looked was at 142 pounds. I was a 6/8, my skin glowed, and I had glorious curves (with a 28 in waist and 36DDs). If I can get there I would be very happy, but I would even settle for being within 8-10 pounds of that range. I am 5'5".

If you exercise a lot, particularly with weights, you should expect your actual weight to be higher because you should have more muscle. When I weighed 142 I was a bartender in a very busy bar, and I also worked out several times a week. I had a lot of muscle, which is heavier than fat.

And by the way, for your BMI to be in the normal range you can weigh as much as 123 pounds with your height.

:) This is interesting. I was reading someones stats who are the same as mine and her surgeon's goal is 10kg/24lbs less than mine.

I am 163cm/5'4" and my surgeon's goal is 80kg. I have my goal set at 60kg/135ish. I also recall saying that I would be happy at size 14. Well I hit size 14 at 82kg! Was exstatic but still felt big because the scale was still a big number. Silly isn;t it???:)

I, like Jodie, am 163cm/5"4 and my doc gave me a goal of 70kg/154lbs.

I always had my personal goal as 80kg/175lbs, but now that I am there, a size 12-14 (10 -12 US) I think I will be able to get to my surgeons goal. It may take another 6 months to get there, but I feel with time, it is doable.

I am 5'10" and I claim that my goal weight is 160 and I would be happy with 160 or even 170 but really in my head I know my goal is 150. I have looked and felt my best a 150 and that is ultimately where I would like to be but at this time it just doesn't seem doable.

There is no reason you can't set one goal now and then change it later.

Best of luck,

Serena

I have my goal set for 130, but my doctor seems to think that with my bone structure I would be best at 115. I am 5foot4 barely, and have a large chest, so I think I will stick with the 130 as a goal. When I get there if I have a little more to take off then I will reset the goal, but for now I think the 130 is the best number for me.

Amy

Well my first goal is 150. I am 5'0 tall and that for my height is to big ... but it is what I will settle for first. I then would like to lose at least down to 125-135 and have a Tummy Tuck ect... I think I will lose some in skin. I started out at 265 and if I make it to 150 that is a loss of 115 pounds ... Thats alot..150 will be the losest weight I've seen since my junior prom in high school and I've also had 1 child since then so I'm trying real hard to be realistic and see where the banded road leads me!!!

My surgeon felt that about 80-85kg is what I should aim for, so what's that, about 170-180lb I think. I'm 5ft 10 so tall. Well phooey to that, no way am I going to be happy at that weight - being that heavy is what started me on the diet merrygoround in the first place. I know that at that weight I cant run without injuring myself, I have a fat tummy, dont look good in much that I want to wear and still have to shop a lot in plus size shops.

I want to weigh about 70kg, my longest held adult weight, and one that was comfortable, easy to maintain and had me looking and feeling fantastic. I think after getting from 110 down to 80, I'll be able to go the last 10kg on my own, surgeon's blessing or not.

I told him so, he told me that sometimes it's unrealistic to get back to that sort of weight purely because I'll have much denser bones and probably more muscle (courtesy of exercising to lost weight and just because fat people need more muscle to carry their bulk and tend to retain some of it as they lose) so that 75kg may indeed be even leaner than I was at 70kg years ago.

70kg for me was an easy Australian size 14 (about a US12), so lovely and willowy, I could shop anywhere and all but the most youngest fashions looked nice enough on. But I still had boobs and wasnt gaunt.

It's good to hear that most everyone is flexible with their goals and go by what they remember feeling their best at. I am not yet banded and don't even have a number in mind as far as pounds. However, I am in a size 20 (sometimes even a 22) and would love to be a size 12. (I'm 5'6") I realize that may be unrealistic, since I haven't been that size in 10 years (and 2 kids ago). I will be pleased with a 14. By the way, a 14 is the national average for women (USA). :)

Hi. I am 6'2" tall and massively built. My wrist, with no fat on it at all, is 11 inches around. I have a very long torso. The BMI chart says I should weigh 194 pounds or less. When I was 17 years old, I was only 5'10" and weighed 194 pounds. I was still built like a boy back then, not like a mature man, yet I fit into men's 32X32 slacks. I am 4 inches taller, and much "thicker" than when I was a young man, so I did some soul-searching and decided to revise my goal weight to 225 pounds. Technically, that makes me "Obese" under the BMI guidelines. Oh well, if I hit 225 I think I will have more than achieved my goal.

I'm 5'4 and my doctor wants me to get down to 120lbs, I will be happy at 129.9lbs. I have 18.1lbs to go. I'm starting to think that I may never get there. I workout 1hr. at the gym every other day, the days that I don't go to the gym I workout 30 min. on the treadmill at home. I'm loosing inches but the scale just will not move. If I never loose another lbs. the band has been the best thing I could have every done for myself.