Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Oz about WLS Monday

not sure why every one of your posts i see is incredibly negative. maybe i'm just seeing the wrong ones, not sure.

Is it possibly because they generally disagree with you? That would certainly be why you 'believe' they are. If you believe my posts are so 'incredibly negative', you can always put me on ignore and then you won't be bothered by me.

Awww..y'all are making me blush, but thank you for your kind comments.

Guess I'm going to have to go see if I can find the Oz/Band show on the internet. I forgot it was on this afternoon and I really wanted to see it. Glad to hear it wasn't a horse and pony show.

Awww..y'all are making me blush, but thank you for your kind comments.

Guess I'm going to have to go see if I can find the Oz/Band show on the internet. I forgot it was on this afternoon and I really wanted to see it. Glad to hear it wasn't a horse and pony show.

Actually, Melody, it was nice to see that Oz did not make this show one sided. I happened across one of Oprah's shows about a year ago regarding WLS and was embarrassed for her. She lured WLS guests to her stage and literally abased them. Easy way out, etc. Was not impressed. Oz's presentation was short and simple (a little too simple...he could have expanded on real life experience a bit more... but it was deemed fair by me.

For those who missed the show, they have segments on the Dr. Oz website: http://www.doctoroz.com/

Not sure how long they'll be available.

Dave

I watched the video clips. I'm not sure I agree with lap-band for people who only need to take off 30 pounds, but they are the experts.

yeah, i have never heard it that the fda approved for 30 lbs overweight, i thought it was for bmi of 30 with 1 comorbidity. i was exactly 30 bmi when i got banded, but i was about 55 lbs overweight). everyone in my family is type 2 diabetic and i was headed there and couldn't lose weight because of taking antidepressants for a long time. otherwise, i would say that 55 lbs isn't worth paying $16k for (since insurance companies won't approve that low of a bmi). but it was worth it for me.

I watched the video clips. I'm not sure I agree with lap-band for people who only need to take off 30 pounds, but they are the experts.

We could start a whole new debate here (which I really don't want to get into cuz right now/this week, I have enough stress in my life), but I do agree on the 30/50lb rule. Guidelines should fall on the shoulders of the experts and the medical history/co-morbidities, etc.

I went to a BMI calc. site and put in some figures ..........

if someone is very short .... 5' 0", and they weigh 155 pounds it puts them just over 30 BMI. If they lose 30 pounds and get to a weight of 125, they have a normal BMI.

I didn't have to worry about doing much math.......... I was Morbidly Obese with no comorbid conditions. I quailfied by the old standards just by my BMI alone. I started at 41.3 BMI. ....... something to be ashamed about for sure.:blink:

I went to a BMI calc. site and put in some figures ..........

if someone is very short .... 5' 0", and they weigh 155 pounds it puts them just over 30 BMI. If they lose 30 pounds and get to a weight of 125, they have a normal BMI.

I didn't have to worry about doing much math.......... I was Morbidly Obese with no comorbid conditions. I quailfied by the old standards just by my BMI alone. I started at 41.3 BMI. ....... something to be ashamed about for sure.:blink:

No shame, Hummingbird.....look at your numbers post-LB surgery. Cool. You beat the odds, as far as the numbers go. A big High Five!

My biggest complaint about the show was the way they showed what the two women were eating...The one woman who showed 5 spoons of yogurt, broth and pudding...give me a break! She wasn't right out of surgery so if that is all she eats then she isn't getting in much Protein at all and is most likely way too tight because it was all sliders. The other woman's food was a little better but still not much Protein. I was happy to see him give a fairly accurate view of the pros and cons and I didn't feel like he was trying to push his opinion on anyone.

I'm not opposed to people with lower BMIs getting the surgery as long as they have co-morbidities...I certainly wish that I hadn't waited until I reached 325 to get it done...

Ok I watched it. I I both agree and disagree with what was shown.. While, if you only need to lose 40-50lbs I don't understand why you would go through major surgery and spend the money. That's like $500 a pound.. But, seems to me, from reading this board for a few months a lot of people only lose 40-50lbs with the lapband then they kinda stall out. So maybe it is a good option if you have less to lose. I wish I could have done it when I was a little smaller (but I never had, and still don't have co-morbidies, even when I was 300lbs), but I think it's a bit ridiculous to do it to lose 40lbs. Especially because of the amount of work you still have to put into it to lose the weight.

Also I didn't like how they portrayed the food... I would hope the lady that was 6 months out isn't eating 5 tablespoons of yogurt for lunch..I think they just worded everything wrong. Clearly that is what the liquid diet is for 2 WEEKS. It's not accurate to say you'd be satisfied eating that... also not accurate to say if you have another tablespoon of yogurt you'd puke LOL

I haven't watched the show but having been through the "lap band talk" with my family and friends I have learned that it's a very personal decision. While I do want the support and acceptance from my family and friends-in the end it's a decision that I made. The day I planned on sitting my family down to tell them about my decision to get lapband, a family friend had died of "lap band complications." It was really a heart condition but because she had just had the lapband it was immediately blamed for her death. As with any surgery there is a risk but it is a personal choice that I had made. There are always going to be people who do not agree with any decisions we make in life...a tv show isn't going to Detour me from doing what I want. Just my opinion.

Ok I watched it. I I both agree and disagree with what was shown.. While, if you only need to lose 40-50lbs I don't understand why you would go through major surgery and spend the money. That's like $500 a pound.. But, seems to me, from reading this board for a few months a lot of people only lose 40-50lbs with the lapband then they kinda stall out. So maybe it is a good option if you have less to lose. I wish I could have done it when I was a little smaller (but I never had, and still don't have co-morbidies, even when I was 300lbs), but I think it's a bit ridiculous to do it to lose 40lbs. Especially because of the amount of work you still have to put into it to lose the weight.

Also I didn't like how they portrayed the food... I would hope the lady that was 6 months out isn't eating 5 tablespoons of yogurt for lunch..I think they just worded everything wrong. Clearly that is what the liquid diet is for 2 WEEKS. It's not accurate to say you'd be satisfied eating that... also not accurate to say if you have another tablespoon of yogurt you'd puke LOL

I agree, this is what kind of disturbed me....she was six months out and eating spoonsfuls of "mushies" and broth! Her surgeon must be crazy if she is that restricted. I was sitting there with my husband (who is against me getting this surgery) with the hope that would enlighten him and all he could say was "see that is all you're gonna eat, just do that now"....first, duh, I'd be starving if I did that now without a band, and second, that is not what my doctor is recommending after six months of surgery. I think that part was a bit deceptive but I'm glad Dr. Oz kinda seemed in the corner of lap band surgery! I was pleasantly surprised but that.

I don't care if they have 50 pounds to lose or 250 pounds...I'm not in a position to judge whether or not they should get the band. Statistically, the ones who do best long term seem to be the ones who have less to lose so if that's the case, by all means do it early before the really horrible eating habits set in. Let's face it...at one time we all were *only* 50 pounds overweight...and look where dieting got us. Wouldn't it have been nice if we'd had help early on?