Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to set goals...but not sure how

All right, so I know what weight I want to get to as my healthy goal....but here's where I don't know how to get there...

I'm 375 pounds 5'5"...23 years old...I plan on doing alot of weight training (so i can build muscle and fill in loose skin better)....so with a set up like that, I'd like to reach 190-200 pounds (that's the BIG goal...like from there on maintain)

but I want to set up mini-goals...like goals where I can Celebrate when I get there...the thing is I don't know how to put a "time" on it...my first goal is 295 pounds (what I weighed when I was 16 playing football in high school)...so that's 80 pounds to lose...what time-frame should I put that to...I mean I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers go down and that'll encourage me to keep working harder :-) but I don't know what is realistic...6 months??...4 months??...a year??...no clue...thoughts would be appreciated

PS...this site is AWESOME..you guys rock

That's a tough one. We all lose weight at different rates. If it were me, I'd just start at assuming you will lose maybe 5-8 lbs a month. That would put your goal at around 10 months. It looks like many people on this site lost their first 75-100 lbs in the first year.

That sounds like a big first goal, you might get frustrated if you don't lose fast enough. Personally, as long as the scale is going DOWN I am happy.

I'm one of those people that doesn't stick to a "diet" so well so I just make good choices when all possible and weigh myself often. If the scale stops moving then I re-evaluate what I am doing and make diet modifications. Don't worry, you will do great. Also, you are male so you guys lose weight so much quicker than us girls normally :)

Freddy, I know the feelings you're going through. You can definitely reach your goals, but you need to make them as realistic as possible. It's easy to get sidetracked. I set mini-goals of five or ten pounds at a time, and have a mini-celebration when I reach them. It makes it easier to find happiness in an ongoing effort, while still working toward my larger goals.

My strongest bit of advice (and the thing that's most helping me win this battle) is to buy a Bodymedia armband. They make several versions, including the Bodybugg, the armband worn by the contestants on The Biggest Loser. This gadget tracks your daily calories burned, steps taken, exercise levels, lets you log your calories eaten, and even records your sleep patterns. By logging your day through their website, and syncing the armband to it, you can see on your computer screen where you stand for the day. If you need more activity, you can go do it. If you eat more calories than you should, you will maintain or gain weight. If you have a caloric deficit each day, after a 3500 calorie deficit you will have lost one pound. It's SO easy, and works so well, I can't say enough good things about it. You can track trends in your weight loss or eating patterns, and get a firm handle on how your weight loss is going. Over time, you can adjust what you're doing to get the best results.

Best of all is you can tailor your goals to your current situation. By realistically establishing your activity levels, it will tell you the kind of calories you need to eat daily to maintain your weight, or how much deficit you need daily to lose weight to meet your ultimate goal. I have mine set up to lose 2 pounds a week, which is quite easy for me to manage. The website shows me a graph of my progress based on what I'm doing, and I should reach my goal by Christmas. So far, I'm just a tad ahead of schedule. It's a fantastic tool, and works well with my lifestyle.

If you're interested in buying one, do some online searching for the best price. Awhile back Best Buy had them on sale for $30 off. If you get one and need some help, send me a PM. I'll be glad to help you out.

Good luck!

Dave

Don't make it to hard on yourself,, you can set yourself up for disappointment that way.

Do short term goals, but make sure they are realistic goals.

You want to see 295 right? It's doable no doubt. But getting there is another story.

Start off with say 25lbs.. Celebrate every time you knock out 25 lbs.

You will soon then reach your 1st. Goal.

Then when you get there,,, set some short term goals again, with a 2nd Goal in sight.

If you do it this way, You will see, to reach each short term Goal won't take as long, and you

will be happier when you see it coming off.

Hope that helps ! I know that's what I do, and you will become a bandster in your month, (SAY JULY)

and you will all have challenges. Like a Labor Day challenge. See who loses the most weight by then.

Enjoy it, Shirley.

All right, so I know what weight I want to get to as my healthy goal....but here's where I don't know how to get there...

I'm 375 pounds 5'5"...23 years old...I plan on doing alot of weight training (so i can build muscle and fill in loose skin better)....so with a set up like that, I'd like to reach 190-200 pounds (that's the BIG goal...like from there on maintain)

but I want to set up mini-goals...like goals where I can Celebrate when I get there...the thing is I don't know how to put a "time" on it...my first goal is 295 pounds (what I weighed when I was 16 playing football in high school)...so that's 80 pounds to lose...what time-frame should I put that to...I mean I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers go down and that'll encourage me to keep working harder :-) but I don't know what is realistic...6 months??...4 months??...a year??...no clue...thoughts would be appreciated

PS...this site is AWESOME..you guys rock

Hi,

I'd suggest you don't put a time goal. It can lead to frustration and cause you to not follow your doctors plan properly. I use LoseIt calorie/weight tracker and it says that if I plan to lose 1-2 pounds a week I should lose the rest of my excess weight by November (I think). I don't really go by that other than to sometimes think "Oooh, by next Christmas I might be THIS size".

My doctor's office set an initial goal for me of 170. I'm currently 201.9. Started at 256.4. They picked that number because that was the lowest I can remember weighing in the past 20 years and I was only there for about a week! Technically, with the band you should lose 1-2 pounds a week (usually faster in the beginning) so if you really NEED a time goal for yourself - it would be one year (53.3 weeks) from surgery for lose the 80 pounds.

Don't get discouraged by that though. It will probably go much faster!

Don't try to put a time on it. I never seen that work yet... Just Celebrate when you get there.

Like I use to tell my boys "IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW YOU GET THEIR, JUST AS LONG AS YOU ARIVE"

Keep that in mind.

My advice is to set mini goals. I'm noticing on the "Post Operation" side they have mini goals that seem fun and it might be easier to handle and also might cause less frustration! I know what you are going through though but just remember as long as our numbers are going down we're heading in the right direction!! Good luck with everything.

My first goal is 1 pound a week. I'm not going to set myself up for unrealistic expectations...anything extra is awesome! My goal is to get to 160 pounds. I have quite a bit to go....but I've gained it over years, I'll have to lose it slowly too and I think that is better so your body can adjust.

My other little goals are.....no longer shopping in the chubby chic section, being able to ride a rollercoaster at the amuzement park (I have a hard time fitting in the seats comfortably), taking comfortable pictures with my son (I won't do it now because I hate my face and body), buying a pair of Levi's that fit, and some cute shoes!

I think it is what is going to motivate you. Getting out of "W" size clothes is huge incentive for me. I'm happy with a pound a week but secretly hoping for 2 pounds a week.

Good luck to you and just find what works for you

What a bunch of great answers!!!! I was wondering the same thing myself. I think that I will do the small mini goals (I like celebrations) and I think it will keep me motivated more. I am just a few days post op and I am super excited to be back at my pre-op weight of last Thurs. They had to give me alot of Fluid in the OR and it took a few days to come off. I know that I have a very poorly functioning thyroid even on medication, so I will be happy with 1 pound a week after the initial couple of months (hoping for 10 pounds for each of the first 2 months). Best of luck and keep everyone posted on your progress!!!

WOW ! as far as Goals, you two got it right....

You stick to that kind of thinking, and you will go far.

Shirley

I think I'm liking the non-scale victories more...

I think I'll set a goal for the following

1- roller coaster

2- Large T-Shirts (I'm on XXL)

No timeframe sounds like the key...I can probably lose 3 pounds a week though since I have mo health problems and I can move pretty well (which makes me think I'm gonna be freaking strong when I lose weight...I mean I've been moving 375 pounds for a long time haba

Now your on the right track. Cloths sizes, walking a little more, sticking to your plans, (THIS IS A DAY BY DAY THING) and remember it is a very slow way to take weight off.

So if you realize all this ahead of time, and even threw the Banding stage. You will go far !

By the way Hello OHIO, I'm in Northern, Michigan. So were in neighboring states. That's cool !