Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all remember me?????AthyKay Long Story

Hi everyone,

I haven't been here or posted for a long time. I do sneek back in to check out some of the post but this place has grown so much it is very hard to keep up on everyone.

I have had lots of stuff going on in my life and really couldn't find the way to share. About 7 months ago, lost my job, a friend and things just kept coming.

Now I am facing some health issues and was very surprised when I read some of the post here. Delarla, Penni and who else? Erosion? Oh my gosh freaked me out. Like I said I only sneek in and out occassionally.

Well I guess I need to share so maybe it helps someone and maybe it will help me too? I had a fill in November I was up to 2cc. Seemed fine for awhile, then I started having the reflux and heartburn. I had to sleep with my head propped up. Solids didn't do to well, it was ok until I drank hour or so later then I had discomfort. Many episodes of PBing. Then just before Christmas I started having a cough. It wouldn't go away, I was so fatigued couldn't do much. Went to my family Doc and she said I had Bronchitis. So had the first dose anitbiotics, still didn't help much. Went back was severly dehydrated so more antibiotics and drink lots. Also I was very dizzy which she said was dehydration. That was on Thursday, when I woke up on Sunday I had a bad coughing spell and coughed up blood. Ok so now I am totally freaked out. I had had some spots of blood a week or so earlier but nothing like this. And I had told the family Doc and she said it could be irratation. Well hubby said we should go to Local Hospital and see what they thought.

Here is there verdict::: Vertigo causing dizziness, slight dehydration, and yes bronchitis but the lungs looked pretty clear. So I now have a inhaler and dizzy pills.

So by now I am starting to think something is going on with my band. Like I said I have peeked in now and then and read some post. The thing is I just sometimes thought if I read certain things it was just freaking me out. Then I imagined that was going to happen to me. Or I would start thinking it was happening to me. Weird I know.

Well I tried for 3 days to get a hold of my fill Doc and she never replied. She has some health issues of her own going on right now. So I started looking for someone that would see a Mexico patient. Finally I found Dr Neal in Olympia and they said it sounded like I was overfilled. They weren't going to be able to see me until the 19th but had a cancel and I got in yesterday. She said that it looked like I was to full but the band looked in good position and seemed ok. So they took some out I am down to 1.5cc now.

Well I thought that by doing the flouroscope that they could see slippage, erosion, or any problems that might be going on. I think I was wrong, not sure but I think I need some other type of test?? Now I know if I visited here more often I may have more knowledge on this but, I found myself getting freaked out so much that I avoided it. I know Shame ON ME!!

I am feeling a little better today, but still not knowing what is going on is so frustrating. All the could be's is driving me nuts. Could be the band, could be bronchitis, could be this could be that. What the heck is a person to think. I don't know if I need to push further on the band thing or what to think. I have never had any type of testing on the band, the flourscope with barium yesterday was the first time and I just assumed that was what I needed now I am even more frustrated because I read something about a endoscope. Which I have no clue what that is how they do it, if it will be paid for, if not how much it will cost me out of my broke pocket. Who to call to have it done?

Sorry for being so babbly just don't know where else to turn and I feel bad because I don't come here often enough. And I know that you are all wonderful people and I feel bad for not sharing more often.

If anyone out there can shed some light on all of this and help me or anyone else that may be having some of the same issues. I would so appreciate it.

SOoooooooooooo Frustrated!!!!!!!!!

My advice (for what it's worth): see your PCP, get a referral for an endoscope. Make sure the doc doing the endo knows about banding. Based on your recent symptoms, your insurance should pay for ruling out band erosion (vomiting blood? hello! that's excuse enough!) I haven't had an endo yet, but I'm pretty sure they put you under a twilight sedation, put a camera scope down your throat and take a look. It's very important that they go through the band and look at the underside of the stoma. If that checks out okay, then it's probably not band-related. I'm no doc though.

that's what I think. I'm sure you will get more great advice here. Oh, and HI!!!!

Hi, athykay!!

I'm sorry for all your health issues. I too have been suffering from bronchitis, but I never assumed that it could be band-related. I don't think it is--my respiratory system can get messed up all by its lonesome when I pick up bugs from my kids. With my recent bout I had several episodes of coughing that were bad enough to make me vomit (TMI, sorry) but nothing has happened that makes me think my band is anything but fine. Coughing up blood is not the same thing as vomiting up blood--sounds to me like your lungs are what's irritated, not your stomach.

Bronchitis is not likely to be band-related, I wouldn't think. Why would you? And vertigo? Dizziness? Dehydration perhaps, but only in the sense that you're not drinking enough.

I'm just saying that it's totally possible to be sick without it being related to the band. Everyone always jumps to the conclusion that every little ache and twinge is due to the band, but it's just not necessarily the case. An endoscopy is only indicated if you're having BAND-related symptoms, such as an inability to eat, constant or unmanageable reflux, or other stomach issues.

Kathy, it's good to see you!

I agree with Alex that it's likely that your brochitis isn't band related, but at the same time, it might not hurt anything to get an endoscope if your insurance will cover it. Both Penni and Lisa had feelings of "not-right"ness, and an endoscope discovered their erosions. I feel okay, but I'm getting to be a year and half out, and am looking for a local doctor who takes Mexico patients and takes my insurance to get checked up and I am also going to see about an endo, just for peace of mind.

I hope you feel better soon!

Hi Kathy..I concur with the others, the only way to have peace of mind is to have an endoscopy. I'm sorry to hear of your health problems, vertigo is a horrible thing. I wish you the best and I hope the small unfill will help you some .

My only input would be this. IF you were truly having nighttime reflux and were overfilled, the 'bronchitis' could be misdiagnosed instead of the aspiration pneumonia that can happen due to nighttime aspiration with the band. However, you said they said you had no signs of pneumonia, right? I hope this came from x-rays and not just speculation by listening to your lungs.. ??? If there were no x-rays performed, I'd be a bit concerned, especially with the other signs of dehydration/dizziness. Dehydration alone can cause dizziness, fatique, weakness, so forth. I hear the aspiration pneumonia possible with the band is very tough to get over. If you had no x-rays to prove their was no pneumonia, I'd ask for them.

I hope you get to feeling better very soon!

For a week now I have been having the dizzies too along with sinus problems, snotties and some coughing. My mom had this same issue last week worse than me and they told her it was a sinus infection and the drainage on the ear is causing the dizziness. Since I haven't had a fever I am just doctoring up with anything they make in liquid form. I think the Dayquil makes me more dizzy though. I really think it is just a bug going around. Mine seems to be lasting longer than normal though and I never knew I could be so lethargic without a fever, I was even disoriented for a few days there. Is seems to be getting better slowly. If yours doesn't get better with the latest drugs you were given I would definately check for more testing. As for the acid reflux it would not hurt to have an endoscopy and it will ease any questions you have. I hope you get to feeling better soon and we can both kick this bug.

I everyone, well I am back from PCP and I spoke to my fill Dr for over a hour this morning. With all that has been going on as I explained in detail to both doctors they both seem to think that it was aspiration pneumonia. And my PCP had the lung xray from Sunday and confirmed that there was some pneumonia.

I may have had the bronchitis also but in my opinion it was mis diagnosed all along. My chest hurt, I was waking up in the night gagging and I do believe it was from being to full.

As for the blood they both agreed that I probably ruptured some veins/vessels

with the coughing and vomiting. They both agreed that I need to take it easy and let everything heal for awhile and see how things go. If I have any more troubles they are both ready to set me up for an endoscopy.

Well once I am feeling better or if I have any more trouble I am going to insist on one.

But for now things are somewhat better. We will see as the days go.

I guess it really does help to yell out when things aren't as they should be. And I need to thank each and everyone of you for sharing your stories. It can make you kinda crazy sometimes reading some of them, but it helps to know what fellow bandsters are going through.

Thanks again for all your thoughts, I will check back more often and keep everyone posted.

I hope that this may help anyone out there that may be having some of the same issues.

Thanks again, Kathy

OMG kathy! i am glad you called both dr's again. i cant believe the band dr couldnt get you in the 19th shen you were vomiting blood. i AM so glad they got to the bottom of it though.

please let us know how you recover and dont be such a stranger! when my band was giving me problems i stayed away to. i get such inspiration here everyday.

michelle

Kathy, I'm so glad you got the medical attention you needed!! Did they loosen your band a little? That would seem to be a logical step to take to ease in healing.

Feel better, and take it easy!!

Yes I must say I was a little amazed that even though I was having the trouble I was, they still weren't going to be able to see me until the 19th. Thank god someone cancelled and I did get in right away.

They removed some of my fill I am back down to 1.5 cc and things seem to be

doing fine. I am on liquids through the weekend so that things have time to heal up. So far so good.

Thanks again Kathy

Just want to update everyone. I have been doing pretty good so far. Added some real food to the diet today and so far so good. I am still pretty sore in the rib area from the coughing I am sure.

Did take a fall today still have the Vertigo going on. That is like the trippest thing ever. I have meds for that but they don't know how long it will last.

I want to thank you all again for your advise and concerns.

Going to have a endoscope as soon as things are better.

Thanks again,

Kathy

When you cough up blood from Bronchitis, its your Bronchial Pores from inside your lungs that are busting, nothing from your tummy, I promise, I have recurring bronchitis ( like 3-5 times a year or more) and was coughing up blood just 2 weeks ago. It will be ok, just get some rest, drink LOTS of fluids and get on an antibiotic STAT! OKAY! Itll be alright tho!

Kathy who? Girl, I'm so glad you posted. Please fight for an endoscopy. They'll put you to sleep & slide a camera down your esophagus to get a good look at your belly. Penni and I both had Upper GIs that came back perfect, but our endoscopies revealed erosion.

As far as the bronchial problems, I'm really concerned myself. I nearly passed out when a woman who had marinated in the most offensive cologne sat next to me. It's been hours and I can barely catch my breath. During band removal, I had the hardest time getting air in my lungs, so I followed up with my primary doc who took a chest x-ray. They called to say I have a swollen lymph node on my right lung but they don't know why. My doc is on vacation, but I have an appt as soon as he comes back.

Is this gonna be the latest problem with us bandsters - bronchial problems? I'll let you know what I find out. In the meantime, it's so nice to see you, and I hope your problems are soon resolved.