Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating after the lap band

I didn't get the feeling that Jess was trying to discourage the OP from getting banded, but rather help set realistic expectations.

I can only speak for myself, but a good portion of my journey so far has been learning a different way to live and accepting that my relationship with food will never be what it was. This is not an easy thing for people with food addiction to do. I had been thinking about the band for several years before actually getting banded and although I wish I had taken this step sooner, I realistically know that I was not in the right mental place before now to be able to follow the rules and do my part. It took a lot of work with a therapist prior to surgery for me to get to this point and, for that reason, I'm glad I waited. I think that was Jess' point...there are many people here on LBT who did not have a good understanding of what the band will and won't do for them and I think the point she was trying to make is that you need to understand the process and be ready to make the necessary changes in your lifestyle to have the best chance for success.

I would definately suggest to the OP to read the posts on here and any questions when they come up...it will help you make an informed decision. What you will find is that everyone's journey is different...the way the band works for me isn't the same way it works for others (I rarely feel full, but when I eat 3-4 oz Protein and 1/2 cup veggies I no longer feel hungry...it took me a while to get used to that), the dietary restrictions aren't the same for everyone (I haven't yet found a food I can't eat - except dry meat - but I choose not to eat bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes because they are the foods that I have difficulty controlling so I have decided that I would rather not eat them), doctor's instructions can be very different as far as pre-op and post-op diets, etc.

To answer your question about eating out, I do eat out at least 2-3 times a week. I don't commit to going to a new restaurant unless I can view their menu on-line or talk to someone who has gone before so I can make sure that there is something I can eat. I ask a lot of questions about how the food is prepared and I don't hesitate to ask the kitchen to prepare something differently - sauce on the side, steamed vs sauteed veggies. Sometimes I order from the appetizer menu and sometimes a full dinner. If I order a full dinner, I usually ask the waiter to bring a to-go box with the meal and after I portion out how much I should eat then I box up the rest (out of sight, out of mind). I have gotten used to waiters asking if there is something wrong with my food because I'm not eating as much as everyone else...I just normally say I'm not very hungry.

You can make this work with your lifestyle, you just have to be willing to do your part because the band won't do it all for you...Good luck!:D

I didn't get the feeling that Jess was trying to discourage the OP from getting banded, but rather help set realistic expectations.

I can only speak for myself, but a good portion of my journey so far has been learning a different way to live and accepting that my relationship with food will never be what it was. This is not an easy thing for people with food addiction to do. I had been thinking about the band for several years before actually getting banded and although I wish I had taken this step sooner, I realistically know that I was not in the right mental place before now to be able to follow the rules and do my part. It took a lot of work with a therapist prior to surgery for me to get to this point and, for that reason, I'm glad I waited. I think that was Jess' point...there are many people here on LBT who did not have a good understanding of what the band will and won't do for them and I think the point she was trying to make is that you need to understand the process and be ready to make the necessary changes in your lifestyle to have the best chance for success.

I would definately suggest to the OP to read the posts on here and any questions when they come up...it will help you make an informed decision. What you will find is that everyone's journey is different...the way the band works for me isn't the same way it works for others (I rarely feel full, but when I eat 3-4 oz Protein and 1/2 cup veggies I no longer feel hungry...it took me a while to get used to that), the dietary restrictions aren't the same for everyone (I haven't yet found a food I can't eat - except dry meat - but I choose not to eat bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes because they are the foods that I have difficulty controlling so I have decided that I would rather not eat them), doctor's instructions can be very different as far as pre-op and post-op diets, etc.

To answer your question about eating out, I do eat out at least 2-3 times a week. I don't commit to going to a new restaurant unless I can view their menu on-line or talk to someone who has gone before so I can make sure that there is something I can eat. I ask a lot of questions about how the food is prepared and I don't hesitate to ask the kitchen to prepare something differently - sauce on the side, steamed vs sauteed veggies. Sometimes I order from the appetizer menu and sometimes a full dinner. If I order a full dinner, I usually ask the waiter to bring a to-go box with the meal and after I portion out how much I should eat then I box up the rest (out of sight, out of mind). I have gotten used to waiters asking if there is something wrong with my food because I'm not eating as much as everyone else...I just normally say I'm not very hungry.

You can make this work with your lifestyle, you just have to be willing to do your part because the band won't do it all for you...Good luck!:D

I should clarify: I didn't mean that Jess was actively discouraging the OP. That sounds a lot more negatively critical than what I really intended. What I meant was that I'm not sure that the OP's concern about portions is an indication that he may not be ready for the band just yet, as Jess said. I agree that a lot of people go into this without understanding the process, or those who do understand may not be mentally ready to do what is required of them. My only point is that it is natural to feel as if 1 cup of food will not be able to satisfy your hunger, and that this is the one thing that the band should help you with once you reach restriction (not until several months post-op usually). If you feel as if you can't live without your binge-fests of cheetos and oreos, then you should know that the band is not yet the solution for you.

I am very newly banded and had the same concerns initially. I have always had a problem with Portion Control. I find that I can eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food per meal, but I eat more frequently than 3 time per day. It is something that is a little tricky to get used to, but it has helped me to change my mindset about portions very quickly. I have had a few instances where I ate too much food and had to PB it up (not as bad as vomiting, don't worry)! I have had small amounts of flour products (1/3 tortilla, 1/3 piece of garlic bread) and have had no problem, but I am very careful to chew them completely!

It's something that you must get used to, but it really isn't too difficult. It's amazing how much I don't crave the larger portions or excessive amounts of food. I do have problems with hunger because my band isn't filled yet, but I eat every 2-3 hours! When I go out to eat, I take leftovers home (most of today's portions can last 3-5 meals) or I share with someone (I eat about 1/5 and they eat the rest!)

It's been a great experience so far....very life changing. I guess it's a trade off....better health or eating all of the food you used to eat.....notice I don't say "want" to eat because your desire to eat large amounts changes with the band!

I should clarify: I didn't mean that Jess was actively discouraging the OP. That sounds a lot more negatively critical than what I really intended. What I meant was that I'm not sure that the OP's concern about portions is an indication that he may not be ready for the band just yet, as Jess said. I agree that a lot of people go into this without understanding the process, or those who do understand may not be mentally ready to do what is required of them. My only point is that it is natural to feel as if 1 cup of food will not be able to satisfy your hunger, and that this is the one thing that the band should help you with once you reach restriction (not until several months post-op usually). If you feel as if you can't live without your binge-fests of cheetos and oreos, then you should know that the band is not yet the solution for you.

I couldn't agree more :D

I was banded on Dec. 2nd of 2010. I weigh all of my meals, I eat 3 to 3 1/2 oz meals at this time. It will increase as I get further out from surgery. Weighing is better for me, I'm not the best judging what a cup of food looks like. 3 oz of chicken is alot more than 3 oz of carrets and green Beans. Though I have only been in a resturant 4 times after banding, I still weigh my food. I found a digital pocket scale at Harbour freight for $20.00, fits in your pocket or purse. Yes some people look at you alittle funny, but I really don't care.

I am rarely hungrey or get the feeling that I'm starrrrrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvvvvvvvving, If I do start to get hungry I just have a Protein Drink. This tides me over well.

Thank you Vicky, that was in fact my point. Just that it is not something to jump into. And Birinak, I can definitely understand about the OP not being sure if he can live with eating one cup. I guess thinking back I always thought one cup was not enough. So far I have been lucky in my band journey. I am 3 months post op and I haven't had a fill. And I think I only have had one day where I experienced "bandsters hell". Where I was starving like right after I ate.

I couldn't agree more :D

I agree with Vicky. The band is a tool not a cure all. You have to go into this in the correct frame of mine and the dedication to follow it through. It was a bit difficult in the beginning days of my life style change. But now 4 months into my new life, it is much easier. The band alone will not help you, YOU have to use the band to help YOU gain control with over eating. Read, research, and ask questions before deciding if the band is right for you.