Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight was lost on liquid diet prior to surgery?

I am scheduled for my surgery on April 22, I am supposed to start my liquid diet in a couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me how much weight did you lose when you finished your liquid diet? Thanks!!!!!!

I only have 3 days left until I have my surgery and I have already lost 13 pounds. It really all depends on the diet and you. Not everyone looses alot before there surgery. My doctor said she has had people loose 3 pounds and then there are those who have lost 30. The diet is to help shrink your liver so its easier to handle during your surgery. I thought it was going to be hard but it was easy. Stay strong and good luck.

I am on day 8of 10 on mine, the first 4 days were kinda tough for me..I did not cheat, but at times 3 hrs would go by and all i could think about was a bag of doritos..lol..day 5 and on have been a breeze, I weighed myself everysingle day, not sure if that is wise or not, this is how it breaks down..

sunday--weigh in at 317

monday--weigh in at 311

tuesday--weigh 308

wed-- weigh 306

thurs--weigh 305

fri--weigh 304

sat--weigh 303

sun--303

So i have totally lost 14 pounds in those 8 days, I have not been really exercising or walking at all yet, the weather here has been horrible, i hope to get the next 2 days of walking in before i go in for surgery on weds the 23rd..Good luck to you and the liquid diet, it is hard at times, just keep in mind why ur doing it in the first place.. :)

I am on day 4 of the liquid diet. I can say it gets better everyday. The Protein shakes(Im using EAS soy protein) can be alittle hard to get down at times. I have lost almost 10 pds. My surgery is set for April 1st in Dallas/Richardson Texas. I cant wait. I know this diet can be hard but it only helps b/c after you have your new pouch you will not be able to eat like you did before anyways!! Good luck!

Amanda

3 weeks liquid only, 30 lbs

I'm on day 7 and I am down 11lbs... strictly liquid diet.... I would wish the diet on my worst enemy.... but it is part of the process....Half way there and I really don't even care if I lose anymore weight just as long as I don't gain another pound. Good luck!

I meant to say I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

I am scheduled for my surgery on April 22, I am supposed to start my liquid diet in a couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me how much weight did you lose when you finished your liquid diet? Thanks!!!!!!

I started my pre-op liquid diet on Feb.23 for 3 weeks. 5 Glucera shakes and 3 glasses of milk per day. I lost 23.5 pounds and had my surgery on March 16th. I have lost 11.5 pounds post-op ( 1 week). I am still on full liquids for anothe 2 weeks, however, have absolutely no hunger or appitite. At this point I am forcing myself to eat to try and get some Protein in me. What is encouraging is I have already lost 35% of my weight and really haven't started the process as I am still healing. Having said that, I found the 3 week pre-op diet a big challenge - not easy. Good luck as you start your journey.

I had the choice of medifast or Atkins and I chose Atkins and only had to do my diet for 7 days. I lost a total of 9 pounds. I am 2 days past surgery and haven't weighed myself yet, as healing an swelling need to come down. You will do great.

I had a one week pre op diet 5 days full liquids, last 2 days Clear Liquids. I lost 9.4 lbs on it

I have lost 9 lbs. in 9 days on my 14 day liquid diet! It hasn't been easy and some days when I exercise and feel really weak, because I am not drinking as many shakes as I should I do eat some cottage cheese (2% snack size), I am also allowed to have broth, SF popsicles and Jello. The first week wasn't too bad but the more shakes I drink the sicker they make me, I am just sick of the sticky sweet stuff! I also worked up to my 2 weeks!

Good Luck,

Joleen

Don't forget that pre-op diet weight loss is not necessarily true weight loss and you WILL gain some of it back right after the surgery. Part of starving your liver is depleting it of carbs, and for every one carb stored in the liver, it stores three waters, so you're losing a lot of Water weight as you starve your liver. When you start eating carbs again (which you have to at some point) your liver will bulk up again and pack the water weight back on. You cannot escape it... this is the way it is supposed to be. It kept our ancestors from starving to death in the days between hunt catches.

I think I lost about 8 pounds on the liquid diet.< /p>

I am on day 4 of the liquid diet. I can say it gets better everyday. The Protein shakes(Im using EAS soy protein) can be alittle hard to get down at times. I have lost almost 10 pds. My surgery is set for April 1st in Dallas/Richardson Texas. I cant wait. I know this diet can be hard but it only helps b/c after you have your new pouch you will not be able to eat like you did before anyways!! Good luck!

Amanda

Amanda I have been using the same EAS Protein shakes and find that if I put the chocolate in a mug and heat it for two minutes it is almost a treat.

I don't have to do the liquid diet but 2morrow I am switching over. I know it's crazy but I thought that is the diet I had to do and found out otherwise on Monday. My surgery is the 11th. I am switching over 2morrow because I think it will be a lot easier for me. I tend to get overwhelmed calorie counting and all that stuff. I know it's part of it but I'm already filled with anxiety being so close to surgery. I read in my binder from my Dr. that you can use the Carnation Breakfast drinks and mix with a cup of Water or 1% milk and 1/3 cup of powdered fat free milk (for the additional protein). I did this and added a scoup of the EAS? Protein Powder to it and it is really good. Cold is the key for me. The chocolate is great but the vanilla is really sweet. Also, just from the people that I have talked to, it seems like they had better start that others and it continued. Good luck!