Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I the fattest one here?

i just read through most of the thread on 'what BMI is too large to be banded" and I have to say, while there were some encouraging posts in there, I only saw posts from people who had like a BMI of 55 or so. I have a BMI of more than 60. My handy BMI wheel they gave me doesn't go past 60.....anyway, RNY and the sleeve are NOT an option for me. I mentally just can't cut something up. The band seems more my style. I like the idea of it being reversible if weight loss doesn't happen...but I am afraid that I am too large and it's not going to work for me at all.

I haven't yet had my consult, that isn't happening until mid-April, but I was hoping that there were other people out there who not only had more than just 200 pounds to lose but were successful at keeping some of it off. I am not looking to get skinny. i would be the happiest person on the earth if i weighted 250-275 pounds. right now, that seems like a far off dream....

also, i am not interested in losing weight really super fast, i know this is a slow and steady wins the race kinda thing, so i am mentally prepared. I am more curious if i could feel restriction at my size at all.

anyway, just thought i would ask. thanks in advance for your calming words of wisdom

Hey there!

I'll start off with: I don't any of those answers for you...however, I'll say that my BMI was 48 - 49. My personal goal was to lose a total of 179 pounds, to date I've lost 145 - 146. I feel awesome and this was the best decision of my life thus far. Before I got banded the surgeon wanted me to lose 5% of my current weight before he would perform the surgery. I'm not sure if that rule is across the board?!?!?

These are going to be really great questions for the surgeon to answer...I would love for you to reply and tell us how that goes for you. I went to a seminar 2 years ago for a bariatric surgeon - went in wanting the Lap-Band and left thinking I should get the RNY because the surgeon was pushing his agenda. I'm so glad that didn't work out and that my Band did!

Talk with the doc, do some more research, and it will all work out for you!

Good luck and God bless you!!!

Rebecca

thanks for the reply Rebecca. I will let you know how it goes after my consult. April 12th seems so far away, but it's a busy practice (which is good. if no one was going there, then I would really think twice about doing this).

Congrats on losing so much weight. i hope to join in those weight loss numbers within a couple of years. :)

i just read through most of the thread on 'what BMI is too large to be banded" and I have to say, while there were some encouraging posts in there, I only saw posts from people who had like a BMI of 55 or so. I have a BMI of more than 60. My handy BMI wheel they gave me doesn't go past 60.....anyway, RNY and the sleeve are NOT an option for me. I mentally just can't cut something up. The band seems more my style. I like the idea of it being reversible if weight loss doesn't happen...but I am afraid that I am too large and it's not going to work for me at all.

I haven't yet had my consult, that isn't happening until mid-April, but I was hoping that there were other people out there who not only had more than just 200 pounds to lose but were successful at keeping some of it off. I am not looking to get skinny. i would be the happiest person on the earth if i weighted 250-275 pounds. right now, that seems like a far off dream....

also, i am not interested in losing weight really super fast, i know this is a slow and steady wins the race kinda thing, so i am mentally prepared. I am more curious if i could feel restriction at my size at all.

anyway, just thought i would ask. thanks in advance for your calming words of wisdom

Hi there. When I had my intial consultation, my BMI exceeded 60 (you can find BMI calculator on the Internet that will calculate your BMI). On the day of surgery my BMI was 58lb thanks to the six months of monitor diet required by insurance and to the pre-surgery diet. I have been banded 10 weeks and have lost 35 pounds. I could have never done it without the band. Yes, I feel restriction.

Dreams can come true, but sometimes they take a little courage and a whole lot of work. I wish you well.

I have great restriction at this time. It took me awhile to get here but I am here. I have been banded for a year now and I am losing slow and steady. I have good days and bad days but I love my band! I was 360 the day I got banded but that was after I lost some weight. If you decided to do this you will probably lose some as well over your 3 to 6 month diet with a dietician or your doctor. I had a BMI over 60 as well. Good luck!

Hi there. When I had my intial consultation, my BMI exceeded 60 (you can find BMI calculator on the Internet that will calculate your BMI). On the day of surgery my BMI was 58lb thanks to the six months of monitor diet required by insurance and to the pre-surgery diet. I have been banded 10 weeks and have lost 35 pounds. I could have never done it without the band. Yes, I feel restriction.

Dreams can come true, but sometimes they take a little courage and a whole lot of work. I wish you well.

hello no your not the only one when I had my first aPpt my BMI exceeded 60 ! I've since then have lost 105lbs and I'm down to the mid 50's on my bmi so I have quit aways to go!

thanks again for all of your replies. i am getting more and more confident that this is the right decision and that i can do it and be successful.

My BMi was 93. I am 35 yrs old and weighed over 600lbs. I was banded on April 20th 2010. When I went to support group on Saturday the 12th I weighed in at 450 lbs. I would say that that is very sucessful.

hey bigdaddy, i would agree that that weight loss is very successful. thank you for sharing. did they make you lose any weight before they banded you? i think that is another concern that i have. if i could lose weight on my own, i wouldn't need the band.

anyway, just as an update, my psych eval is this friday...fingers crossed that all goes well there and i can continue with this process.

No they did not. However when I was on the liquid diet I did lose 43 lbs in ten days. I was supposed to be on the diet for 20 days but they had a cancellation and did my surgery earlier than scheduled. I wanted to have a bypass done and the Dr. told me that with my size the risks were too high so she wanted to band me in stead. Then after I lost some weight she could go in and do a revision. However i feel that I am doing very well with my band so I don't feel that a revision is necessary at this time. Not to mention affordable.

hey bigdaddy, i would agree that that weight loss is very successful. thank you for sharing. did they make you lose any weight before they banded you? i think that is another concern that i have. if i could lose weight on my own, i wouldn't need the band.

anyway, just as an update, my psych eval is this friday...fingers crossed that all goes well there and i can continue with this process.

Oh, and good luck w the eval. It will go well.

No they did not. However when I was on the liquid diet I did lose 43 lbs in ten days. I was supposed to be on the diet for 20 days but they had a cancellation and did my surgery earlier than scheduled. I wanted to have a bypass done and the Dr. told me that with my size the risks were too high so she wanted to band me in stead. Then after I lost some weight she could go in and do a revision. However i feel that I am doing very well with my band so I don't feel that a revision is necessary at this time. Not to mention affordable.

i can only hope that i will be half as successful as you have been. i have hope that i can do this, even at my size. i don't know exactly how much i weigh yet. the scale at my gym only goes to 350....and...well, i guess i weigh more than that :)

It all depends on how bad you want it. I also believe that support is a big motivator. I have struggled w weight all my life and this is something i have wanted to do for years. Now I feel that I have had a second chance at life and can be the Husband and Daddy I have always dreamed of being. I am now able to volenteer at my daughters school, help her practice for her softball games and even go for a walk w her. She is 8 and Dad has never been able to do these things w her and she is LOVING it. My wife is Loving it too. I am a stay ay home Dad and am now able to help my wife do more around the house. Not sure if you have a partner or children but hearing them tell me that they are proud of what I am doing just makes me work that much harder. Good Luck with your adventure and If you need any inperation I am here to chat.

i can only hope that i will be half as successful as you have been. i have hope that i can do this, even at my size. i don't know exactly how much i weigh yet. the scale at my gym only goes to 350....and...well, i guess i weigh more than that :)

I have a wonderful husband who is supportive of any decision that I make. He has never ever pressured me to lose weight, always saying that i am beautiful just the way that I am, so in that regard, i am extremely lucky and blessed. This is totally my decision and I am doing it on my own without feeling that i have to do it to be loved or accepted by anyone but myself....and also to perhaps have more energy to do things that i really want to do, and to travel more with my wonderful husband. i obviously have issues with travelling. they are more mental than physical i suppose, but i am looking forward to our lives together after i can sit in a roller coaster, parasail, zip line, or any of the 100 things that i want to be able to do but am too heavy to do at this time...including having children. i can't wait to really get started.

I have a wonderful husband who is supportive of any decision that I make. He has never ever pressured me to lose weight, always saying that i am beautiful just the way that I am, so in that regard, i am extremely lucky and blessed. This is totally my decision and I am doing it on my own without feeling that i have to do it to be loved or accepted by anyone but myself....and also to perhaps have more energy to do things that i really want to do, and to travel more with my wonderful husband. i obviously have issues with travelling. they are more mental than physical i suppose, but i am looking forward to our lives together after i can sit in a roller coaster, parasail, zip line, or any of the 100 things that i want to be able to do but am too heavy to do at this time...including having children. i can't wait to really get started.

Hi, I can't say I am experienced yet, I am new like you, my surgery is comming up in april, but I was so worried about this as well. I have already started the pre op liquid and 4 oz protien ( usually chicken) a day, in just 12 days I have dropped 26 lbs. My dr didn't put me on any pre diet to loose weight, just the liquid protien to shrink my liver. My official start day for my diet is the 18 of this mo. I am glad I practiced first, I have a better handle on things and any ooops in eating I just chalked up to a learning experience. I feel ready now to really buckle down. I want this so much. I just wanted to offer you some encouragement. I too look forward to experiencing more of the fun and physical aspects of life instead of having all my good times centered around eating. Good luck --biggrin.gif willow