Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you say to someone that thinks getting Lapband is for lazy people? I really want to tell him how ignorant he is.

Not much you can say because they're uninformed. Personally I don't engage. It's not about them, it's about you!

I get this from my mother....yes, my mother who is overweight and suffering from bad knees, high blood pressure etc....I ask her "how is your weight loss plan working for you?" She thinks I can do it on my own, or she puts it "Naturally." I've done it naturally for 20+ years and here I am. I have a 3 year old that I would like to be around to watch grow up and I'd like to have fun with him while he is growing up! I've tried it, I've lost it and I've gained it. I'm hoping this will help me gain control of my self. My husband thinks it is the easy way out too, and I also challenged him with a very low calorie diet plan...imagine that, he didn't even want to try! It's okay if the ignorance is out there, it is always going to be there and we just need to find support where we can. Good Luck to everyone...those who are ignorant and those who are Educated.

AAh this would be the reason I decided not to tell anyone. The lap band is not the easy way out at all. See can see my post on the Tri-Pod Effect http://ladylapband.blogspot.com/2011/02/tripod-effect.html but I will sum it up here. You need 1) The Lap Band 2) Healthier Eating Habits and 3) A more Active Lifestyle. Without all 3 the tripod will tip over. They all work together.

I would suggest keeping who you give the information of your decision to a minimum. It has worked out great for me. It's really a very personal thing and you don't have to feel bad for not telling people.

AAh this would be the reason I decided not to tell anyone. The lap band is not the easy way out at all. See can see my post on the Tri-Pod Effect http://ladylapband.blogspot.com/2011/02/tripod-effect.html but I will sum it up here. You need 1) The Lap Band 2) Healthier Eating Habits and 3) A more Active Lifestyle. Without all 3 the tripod will tip over. They all work together.

I would suggest keeping who you give the information of your decision to a minimum. It has worked out great for me. It's really a very personal thing and you don't have to feel bad for not telling people.

I did only tell a few close people. One of the people I told is one of my best friends which of course is going to tell her fiance. I actually ended up going to her house the other night. He was there and didn't say one word to me. I guess he felt like an A**hole. I only told close friends.

(Beautiful wedding pic SLM2007!!!)

I know when I was going to various surgeon's seminars one of the main tips they gave was that 96% of those that lose weight on their own will have regained it and many add more weight on. I think the people they studied were re-checked after 3 -5 years and only 4% had maintained the weight loss. I know to me, that hit home and really helped to concrete my decision. Maybe this *fun fact* will be something you can bring up when someone tells you to just lose the weight on your own. :)

I probably would have argued or tried to persuade him earlier in my journey, but I care much less about what people think about it now. I'm healthier, more active, and look better (plus I'm MUCH less lazy :rolleyes: ) than the majority of people who happen to express obnoxious or ignorant criticisms about weight loss surgery (it amazes me how many of these "experts" are overweight or even obese themselves). I usually speak up if I hear anything like that, and it usually shuts them up quickly except for questions about my experience and the general impression I get that many of them start to rethink their position on obesity and surgery. I don't argue, I just tell the facts of my experience. Most people that spout off about these things understand very little about obesity in general, and even less about the details and different types of weight loss surgery. Prove them wrong, change your life and lose the weight, and they really won't have much to say to you about it anymore. Most people won't want to bring up anything that shows how completely wrong they were. :lol:

Day Dreamer you are too funny!! He says that people just need to diet and exerciseand that it is a life style. He used to go to the gym and eat well, but now all he does is sit at home, drink beer, and go out to eat all the time. Maybe he just wants make me feel like shit, but he shouldn't be the one to talk.

Ok Kristen, now I KNOW you are talking about my hubby!! Muhahaha!! What a turd, who let him out of the house again?!?! Seriously. My hubby just looks at me when I talk about my WLS, but I can feel his nasty thoughts. He has gained weight but he doesnt eat for a day and BOOM he is magically 5 lbs lighter. Don't get me wrong, I love my hubby, but there are some people that WILL NOT support you no matter what!

I refuse to tell certain people in my life, because I feel they would not uplift me - ergo, I joined this board!!! I love it here. Yeah, you get the ney sayers but you get so much more support and motivation. I check LBT multiple times a day!! I love it that much.

My point is, you don't need to defend your choices and you do have people that support you - US!!! We will be here to support your choices (Band or not), motivate you, uplift you and share experiences with you. It might be an online friendship, but it is supportive friendship none the less!!!

My story -> watch this

(SlimQuick commercial LOL)

I have been on both sides of this...kind of. I am an excercise addict and work out several hours a week and did a triathlon last summer. I am still 240 pounds. My 240 pounds looks better than others that have no muscle but the result on my body is the same and that is why I am getting banded. People will run their mouths no matter what. I have not told anyone about getting my band (on Thursday) because I dont want to hear it. I can tell you that this is not the easy way out.... there is no easy way out!!! When my best friend told me she was getting a lap band I jumped for joy because I knew it meant her depression, lack of energy, and low self esteem were going to turn around. I can't believe how people act. I listened to her sibblings harrass her and bring her to tears and basically tell her she was going to die just to lose a few pounds. When I had a talk with her this is what I said "It is completely your decision and I am with you regardless but I can tell you that dieing from the surgery isn't the issue. You are dieing from the weight!!! Having one lap band procedure is hard but the result of not having it at this point is knee surgeries, cardiac procedures, gall bladder removal, and the list goes on. So basically it is time to decide weather YOU are worth it and if YOU are ready to live." She made her decision that day and had her band two weeks ago and she has no regrets.

I haven't been banded yet... but so far I've only told a few people (like4). This is a perfect example of why I will keep my business to my self. :D

My cousin who had it done told me not to tell anyone so I wouldn't have that additional stress of rude comments. She said "keep it a secret, everyone will think you are on meth:)

My cousin who had it done told me not to tell anyone so I wouldn't have that additional stress of rude comments. She said "keep it a secret, everyone will think you are on meth:)

LMAO! So true! I've told my family, and my best friend. I haven't made up my mind whether or not to be open about it with everyone yet.. this thread kind of makes me think not.

I think I would have said "Well isn't it great that I can do something about my problem, its a shame they can't fix ugliness" LOL!! I think my husband thought the same thing until he's met several people that have had it done and has seen how they've changed. He is now as excited as I am about it because he knows its going to be a better and more enjoyable life for both of us!! Best of luck to you, and don't let anyone get you down!! This is not going to be easy, its life changing!!

Funny!!!! the sad thing is they may accept that more that the band.

People are dumb!! Breast augmentations, tummy tucks, and plastic surgery is looked at as fabulous but you mention weight loss surgery and people go nuts. I am a nurse and a bandster (as of today!!!) and most of the people that are the loudest are the most uneducated. I'm not telling anyone other than my husband and best friend and may never tell.... I'm not obligated to tell them and I don't want the comments, or people trying to monitor my food, or should I not lose a million pounds in the first week I don't want those comments either. I'm my experience it is usually other overweight/obese people that have the most to say/harass.

People are dumb!! Breast augmentations, tummy tucks, and plastic surgery is looked at as fabulous but you mention weight loss surgery and people go nuts. I am a nurse and a bandster (as of today!!!) and most of the people that are the loudest are the most uneducated. I'm not telling anyone other than my husband and best friend and may never tell.... I'm not obligated to tell them and I don't want the comments, or people trying to monitor my food, or should I not lose a million pounds in the first week I don't want those comments either. I'm my experience it is usually other overweight/obese people that have the most to say/harass.

Hahah.. this reminds me of a bumper sticker I recently saw that said: Why is it that those who know the least, always seem to know it the loudest?!